Topic: Babyface - latency issue when recording hardware synth (windows 7)

Hello,

I'm so glad to finally have this RME Babyface close to me that i'm very upset with this little issue :

I'm trying to record my old Yamaha AN1X into my Ableton Live for the first time.
So i set up the whole system this way (which looks like the regular process to me) :

AN1X sends its sound to the Babyface thru the line inputs.
AN1X sends and receives midi CC to/from the Babyface.

In Ableton Live i've got 1 audio channel receiving the audio signal from Totalmix via AN 1+2, and another midi channel receiving data from Babyface midi port 1 and sending data to the same port.

In Totalmix i have to mute the AN1 and AN2 inputs if i want to listen to the software playback only.

Ok, when i start to play the synth with this setup i have nearly no latency because actually there is no midi conversation in the loop.
But i'm aiming at using Live as a midi sequencer to record the synth, of course.

Here's my problem : when i make a midi clip in the midi channel i was talking about and launch the clip, i've got some latency in the audio playback.
It is something long enough to prevent me from using Live as a real midi sequencer to play the AN1X.
Of course i understand that there must be some latency in this setup because this is where latency issues normally resisde...
I've checked my buffer in the Babyface driver and currently it's 1024 samples.
I tried to go down to 512 samples and i got some audio cuts when playing the sequence.

I'm using a PC with windows 7.
Currently, it looks like i can't use my ableton live as a simple midi sequencer to play or record hardware synth without taking time to fix audio delays issues.

Can someone tell me if i'm wrong somwhere in my setup or did anyone experience this kind of trouble ?

(Sorry for my english, i'm french, and sorry if my explanations are not so clear, i can provide some screenshots if you want)

Thanx in advance.

Re: Babyface - latency issue when recording hardware synth (windows 7)

I'm not using MIDI anymore, so all I can say is that "Are you using ASIO drivers for the inputs of the regular audio (non-MIDI)"??
Otherwise someone else will have to answer your question.

In Sonar (Cakewalk) if I use the tempo function and set the tempo the ASIO drivers for regular audio (outputs from a synth - not MIDI) then it accounts for the delay and you hear and record everything together. I would think it would be the same for the MIDI channel if you are playing with the metronome while recording and on playback if needed. Since I am only doing audio wave recording files (not MIDI) then everything comes together because ASIO drivers work that way to account for any lag in recording and playback.

Hi Karl,

The buffer size must be set much lower for the virtual instrument to work without noticeable latency. You will have to investigate the computer to find out why you have clicks and pops at such a large buffer setting. Start here:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1704
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5462

Also, in Win 7, please check that the Power Scheme is set to "High Performance". The default, "Balanced" will cause problems with pro audio/video devices and applications.

Control Panel > System and Security > Power Options > "Show additional plans"

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

OK, thanx for the quick responses.
I'm going to explore these tutorials.
I think i will have to format the pc and optimize the system thoroughly.

I'll get back to you with more info (espacially if i can gather some precious tricks about windows 7)

Hello, I'm back after a few tests, as promised.
Many thanx for the various links, it helped me localize the real problems about my system.
Firstly i have to give the name of my trouble : Dell Studio XPS 1645.

I've run Latencymon several times and found that the main DPC latency reported was caused by my wireless card.
So i disabled the card and i could run a new test with the audio software playing and noticed no more real dropouts !!
Ok, great, it seemed like it was the end of all my trouble, since i'm now able to reduce the buffer size to 64 samples...

But just an hour ago i tried again a simple playback of some Ableton Live sequences with the same buffer size and I noticed a lot of errors in the RME driver.
Also i could hear some crackles in the sound, no dropouts but it was not as clear as expected.
So i ran some new tests with Latencymon and this time i could only notice some pagefault latency but nothing was hitting Ableton Live.

To improve the whole system i've just updated the BIOS and some crucial drivers from Dell's website.
Now i can clearly notice that the sound of my software is louder in the headphones, although i haven't changed any setting in Live !?
I still get some crackles but it's much more subtle, it looks like it's linked to the RAM use or the graphics (minimizing the window for instance).
No more errors reported by the RME driver.

What bothers me the most currently is the fact that i can clearly notice a slight change in the sound when i reduce the buffer size from 1024 to 64 samples.
And it's no good news because i can hear a loss of depth in the sound and also a sort of narrowing of the stereo field.

Finally, I haven't sorted this out yet and i still need your experience, please...
I can still improve my machine, of course. Maybe I will extend my RAM and even replace the HD.
But if you could advise me first, it would be greatly appreciated.