Topic: fireface 400 skipping on playback and recording

Greetings, currently i have the following machine setup:

MB: Gigabyte EP45T-DS3R
CPU: Intel Q9550 2.83ghz
RAM: 8gb
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 260

I have the following problem, whenever i play songs,work on a DAW (CUBASE 5, Ableton 8), record a mix (wavelab 6,sound forge 10) i get the skipping of the audio that currently i listen. the same goes whenever i record, the sound just starts skipping, no reason. and all the time i get errors in the Fireface settings menu. I have tried reinstalling everything from the beginning and nothing helps, this problem prevents me from using the card as i want to. please help me.

Re: fireface 400 skipping on playback and recording

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9827

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

So i have devoted a whole day to find out more about the problem that i have with the sound card, and i came across lots of posts that brought me to this stage where i am now. In other words i have tried everything that you have suggested in the post, even reinstalled and installed the card with the versions of the drivers (win_fire_3034, win_fire_3047 and win_fire_29992 [these are the ones that i could find and test]) so every driver was tested with all the options for the controller

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/9240/rme11.jpg

furthermore i have enabling/disabling even the GPU drivers for each option in order to make the best solution, however i could not rest and i searched even deeper to find the following link

How to get the cause of high CPU usage by DPC / Interrupt

and this one as well:

How to get the cause of high CPU usage caused by apps?

and i got the following results, which i am sending them to you in order to let me know what i can do any further, or if there is a topic regarding my problem covered on this forum.

Results

Since you contacted me directly via PM, here I am. wink

Your maximum DPC times are excessively high. Please post a screenshot of the DPC Latency Checker, too.

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

thank you very much, since i have seen a lots of post that you have covered this topic on various forums as well i thought of contacting you here,

there are two images of the DPC testing that i have done, so have a look at them.

DPC images

Just like the LatencyMon logs this shows that there are some serious driver issues happening on your machine that are not caused by the Fireface.

It's late today, so I will take another look at the LatencyMon log tomorrow. But you should try to turn off all kinds of devices via Device Manager already, like WLAN, USB card-reader, DVD drive, LAN. Also (just for checking) change the graphic-card driver to the Microsoft "Standard VGA driver" via Device-Manager (not an NVidia one).

Everything that you've mentioned has been done, with every possible combination that you can imagine, and still i got some crazy issues with DPC, the things that i've come up with in the table indicate that i have more or less the kernel issue, however i don't have any knowledge in how to repair or try some other test in order to conclude my search and quest for working soundcard smile))

So listen to this, i have tried using my on-board audio card, and it works perfectly, i just don't know what to say, if it was an issue with the kernel per se, i would have problems with the on board audio card as well, i really don't know what to do.

Your on-board audio card uses PCI. No way to compare this with a FireWire based audio card, which is connected to a FW-chip, and that one is connected differently to the computer's chipset.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes i know that, but i thought that i have general problems with the kernel from the win7 x64, however this leaves me that definitely it is FW port vs OS, can you suggest what else i can try and test ?
i have borrowed another version of the Win7 OS,