Topic: HDSP 9652 and ADAT sync

Hi
Im running W7/64 with Cubase 6.02/64 on ASUS P8P67Pro motherboard with an Intel i5 3,3 Ghz processor.
I have a Hammerfall HDSP 9652 connected to an Alesis AI3 ADAT.
RME driver version 3.27, firmware 108
I have the following settings for the card:
Buffer size: 256
Sample rate: 48.000 Hz (greyed out)
Clock source. Internal (the only one that works OK, all other produces loud noise)
SPDIF in: Coaxial
SPDIF Out: none
AEB and Wordclock not ticked.

Now to my question.
When I set Clock source to ADAT1 or ADATSync I get a really disturbing noise over all 8 channels and SyncCheck flashes on and off.
And when I use internal its OK but then I guess the sync with the ADAT is not properly working.
My other system (with WinXP SP3 and Cubase5) have the some HDSP card and also an Alesis AI3 ADAT connected and there I have no problem syncing to ADAT. I prefer having my recordings done at 44.100, 32 bit float but now I am forced to accept 48.000 with no sync to ADAT.
Is it possible to solve this problem. I have searched the forum but found no answer to my question.
Greatful for an answer.

/Clay Agemyr

Re: HDSP 9652 and ADAT sync

When setting the card to sync to ADAT, make sure the Alesis is running on internal, else you will be getting a clock loop.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

When setting the card to sync to ADAT, make sure the Alesis is running on internal, else you will be getting a clock loop.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Im sorry but I cant find anywhere to change AI3s settings.
The only settings on the frontpanel are "Optical Outsource either Analog In or Optical and of course the Operating level out +4 or -10.

Please refer to the manual or contact Alesis. Else, just use the HDSP as clock master...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

5 (edited by vinark 2012-01-19 12:38:17)

From Manual
How does this affect the AI-3? The easiest way to use an AI-3 in a digital studio is to
make sure that the digital input is always connected. When digital clock is coming
into the AI-3’s digital input, it automatically slaves to this clock source. If you only
connect the digital output of the AI-3 to another product, such as a mixer or recorder,
then the AI-3 has to be the master clock.

So if you need the analogue outputs of the Alesis, the RME should be master/Internal. And yes then sync is then properly working!

Oh and the manual says it only works at 48, well maybe if clocked to the hdsp also at 44.1, but that might not be 100% ideal.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Well I have found no way to set the clock for the Alesis so it seems its locked at 48.
However I have been looking deeper into Cubase and I set "Project Synchronization Setup" to sync with "ASIO Audio Device"
When Cubase is not running it is possible to change the Sample Rate in HDSP settings (with "Internal" set) and when I start Cubase it locks to whatever samplerate is set in HDSP Settings and the SampleRate gets grey in HDSP Settings until I close Cubase. So now with HDSP sync set to internal I choose 44.1 and start Cubase and it locks to that samplerate. So I will live with that.
I am only using the AI3 for recording analog gear.
Being a musician and not a technican these things takes quite som time to sort out.

I am very grateful for your help.

/Clay Agemyr

The Alesis is really primitive in it´s clocking options, so it is hardly your fault for not getting it right first time. Your solution of setting the samplerate from cubase is realyy creative and effective.
Good luck!

Vincent, Amsterdam

Make sure that when syncing to an external clock, the Alesis will support 44k. They can't be running on different sample rates.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

It looks like it´s so primitive that it just locks to 44 while only supporting 48. If they would be running out of sync that would be very noticeable. I would expect some audio quality degradation when running a device designed for 48k at 44k, depending on how the anti aliasing filters are done.

Vincent, Amsterdam