Topic: Digi 96/8 PAD Output Stuck on ADAT

Hey guys,

Just trying to use this card with Pro Tools 9 as a simple stereo record device in Windows7.  When used in Samplitude, over the past 10 years I've often noticed that the output status had switched to ADAT, therefore not allowing the audio to be passed through the AES/SPDIF outs.  I would simply disable all outputs from 3-8, which would force the card to spit out the audio through AES.  Basically, AES/SPDIF in and out.

However, in Pro Tools you cannot do that, and even though I'm passing audio into the AES inputs, the card is saying it's status is ADAT output.  How can I possibly change this now to make it not do that?  There must be a way, but I can't find anything in the settings...

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Sig

Re: Digi 96/8 PAD Output Stuck on ADAT

Try the "A/S Conv" option in the settings.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Yup, I've tried that and no luck.

Any other suggestions?  Is there a way to fully disable ADAT mode?  The only time I'd ever want to use the optical port is in 2 channel SPDIF mode anyway - we'd never need the 8 chn ADAT mode at all.

Thanks for your help,
Sig

Is this what I'm after?

9.5 Boot-Option ADAT
The jumper JP4, labelled 'Boot ADAT', configures the card's state between power-on of the computer and completed boot of the OS. The card is shipped with the jumper set, thus starting in ADAT mode. This option was introduced because several external devices, especially digital mixing desks like Yamaha's 01V or Spirit's 328 will produce noise when an SPDIF signal is present at their ADAT input.
The other way round will normally not cause any problem, as most SPDIF and AES/EBU input circuits recognize 'wrong' formats, and automatically mute the digital audio signal. To start the card in SPDIF mode simply pull off jumper JP4.

Nope, I just removed the jumper and tried this.  While it does boot into SPDIF/AES mode, the second Pro Tools 9 boots up, it automatically converts it to ADAT output, and thus no sound through the AES/SPDIF output.  In Samplitude, they give you the option of deactivating those extra outputs and inputs, and this still is the only way I can make it work in that program.  In Pro Tools, besides the IO settings, there's nowhere else that you can deactivate IO.  I've tried removing all but inputs/outputs 1/2 but PT still thinks there's ADAT 8 channel outputs...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Sig

Sorry, no. If PT does not allow selective enabling of ASIO channels, there is not much that can be done as far as the card is concerned. YOu could use an external format converter like the ADI-4DD...

Rgards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Ugh, ya I was afraid of that.  A new HDSPe AIO would be cheaper than a format converter like that, and at least be more future proof.

OK, thanks for the info Daniel.
Sig