Topic: Terrible experience with USB interfaces so far. WHY is RME different?

Hey,

I've come close to suicide trying to make an USB interface work without interruptions on my PC. Doing all the software optimizations (drivers, OS reinstalls, DPC & IRQ checks, etc.) didn't prevent my audio card from dropping buffers and causing pops and clicks randomly regardless of buffer settings.

Thinking it might be a hardware issue, I went to an extreme and grabbed a C2D iMac, but to my surprise -- results were even worse than in Windows. Still dropping buffers, but this time around, pops and clicks got into the recorded media themselves!

Isolating the problem to the audio interface, I face the terrible dilemma of Firewire vs USB and portable vs incompatible. I need a small interface with two I/Os for songwriting and occasional MIDI recordings, and it has to be external for portability and compatibility. The only offering from RME that fits these criteria is the Babyface. Problem is, it runs on USB and with my terrible USB experience aside, here is what I've been recently reading:

The case against USB: Firewire delivers data in a steady stream, whereas USB delivers in bursts at different speeds. USB also taxes the CPU more and shares resources poorly. USB is said to be inherently unstable and thus unsuitable for audio.

The case against FireWire: Up until 2010-2011 most Macs came with a non-TI Firewire chipset. Unless the chipset's Texas Instruments, it's most likely going to cause issues. Also, when it comes to tracking 2 channels only, USB should be more than plenty. Finally, Firewire seems to be gradually disappearing.

Neither my PC nor my iMac has a TI Firewire chipset. I don't know what the makers have put in for the USB controllers, but I doubt they are the cause or the solution to the problem.

All I want is to be able to plug my device and record my ideas flawlessly. No pops, no crackles, no ruined recordings, no bad driver reporting, no timing issues in the DAW. Is this possible with the Babyface and why exactly is RME's USB implementation any better than all the other brands out there?

Thank you from a potential customer.

2 (edited by vinark 2012-02-13 16:49:52)

Re: Terrible experience with USB interfaces so far. WHY is RME different?

Do you want Windows or mac in the end?
RME uses their own usb chip just as with firewire (and even PCI(e)), that´s why they are better with performance.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

So far all RME USB interfaces with the latest firmware and drivers run without problems on a compatible system. Stability and performance are great. We got more than ten thousand satisfied Babyface users, so we can say: it just works.
Please read this USB statement.

Dropouts, crackles and interruptions of the data stream could be caused by a bad USB cable. If you didn't do this already with your interface try another cable.

best regards
Knut

4 (edited by rotaudio 2012-02-13 19:04:20)

Thanks for your replies.

To vinark,

I could care less about the platform, so long as it works. I've been using Windows for as long as I can remember. I thought I had hardware compatibility issues and convinced myself a Mac would fix them. The iMac actually performed worse than my 4-year old PC...

To Admin Knut,

I've already read your USB statement, but I don't think I have an incompatible system. My PC is an AMD64 with an SB700 chipset, while my iMac is a 2,93GHz Core 2 Duo system using the nVidia MCP79 chipset (NOT the Intel chipset you warn about). In your USB statement, you have listed Mac OS X as the preferred system for audio production, however my recent experience shows otherwise. My EMU 0404 USB performed worse on Mac OS 10.6-10.7.2 than on Windows XP-7. On Windows I got occasional crackles and badly timed recordings (probably due to poorly reported latency from the driver), whereas on Mac OS X I got pops across all buffer settings (from 14 to 1024), but most importantly, the crackles got recorded into the media items -- something which never happened to me on Windows! EDIT: I've just replicated crackles in recorded items on Windows too, so the interface can actually ruin recordings on both platforms.

Granted, all of this might be due to bad drivers from EMU. I can't blame the computers themselves, because I experience instability on both platforms. It's odd however that a superior Macintosh performs worse. Hope it's a software issue. EDIT: I've just replicated crackles in recorded items on Windows too, so the interface can actually ruin recordings on both platforms.

I have already tried all possible USB ports on my systems. Heck, I even tried the interface through a new USB-PCI card, but nothing really stopped the dropouts. The EMU performs really strange under Windows. Whereas I can spot crackles in recordings on the Mac quite quickly, the card performs well under Windows for a certain period of time, then it starts dropping buffers like crazy until the signal totally disappears. This odd behavior tends to happen more often with lower buffer size, while on the Mac any buffer size will produce occasional pops. What mostly pisses me off on Windows is the bad timing of my MIDI recordings. They tend to be very jittery and are impossible to work with.

I haven't tried another cable, but I am skeptical it will change anything. I am using the original cable that came with the card, which looks quite solid and is advertised as built especially for this purpose. As a last resort, I will also try a new cable. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'd really appreciate it if you could elaborate on why specifically the Babyface performs better and what kind of system it should work best on. Have you tested the Babyface on iMacs?

Finally, regarding RME interfaces, what is the difference between Firewire and USB? Which interface do you expect to perform worse overall and which platform (Mac or PC) is more suitable for your products?

rotaudio, you have any of your computers set up correctly to do audio recordings? Did you read the other tabs on that link that shows how different computer work?
I have a Pentinum 4 old computer that don't have wi-fi or anything else interferring and also it set up correctly to record audio, and I have no problems at all using ASIO drivers.

Anti-virus programs interferring?
Any thing at all?
There are other web pages about any of this and also the latency test program to see what is going on.

spacealf wrote:

rotaudio, you have any of your computers set up correctly to do audio recordings? Did you read the other tabs on that link that shows how different computer work?
I have a Pentinum 4 old computer that don't have wi-fi or anything else interferring and also it set up correctly to record audio, and I have no problems at all using ASIO drivers.

Anti-virus programs interferring?
Any thing at all?
There are other web pages about any of this and also the latency test program to see what is going on.

Just to get this out of the way: YES! My PC is optimized to the max. I've been tweaking PC's for more than 10 years now, and have implemented virtually all practical suggestions regarding latency from sites like SoundOnSound, Gearslutz, Avid, etc. Both my Windows and Mac machines are clean and fresh. No antiviruses, no background apps, no unnecessary services. Everything is set for maximum performance and the systems are otherwise flying. CPU's are mostly idle, no spikes, etc. DPC latency doesn't coincide with clicks, and is not an issue really.

Hope this answers your question. smile

Some info from RME support would be much appreciated.

Hello Rotaudio,
I have a question : you tested one USB soundcard, or several from different brands ?

I can say so much: The Babyface/UC work with low latencies on Macbook, iMacs and Windows laptops, using Windows and OS X. There is no disadvantage of using USB vs. Firewire, the underlying transport protocols work about the same (isochronous, small paket sizes, bandwidth reserved). So whatever keeps you from using your interface properly likely has to do with your specific setups unless your interface is faulty.

I don't know OP, you do know RME and the Babyface in particular are not produced by two yayhoos in a musty garage right? Ever heard of the Fireface UFX? Think they got to this point not testing their interfaces on an iMac? You either have a bad Babyface, or it's not set up right, bad cables, etc. RME has been BULLETPROOF on my system, and most others. Your diatribe about USB vs Firewire at least in my experience is mis-informed as well. Why choose Babyface and RME? Because the stuff just works, their drivers are SOLID. If you are having problems don't point the fingers at a fully functioning Babyface, these people care about their product and even you. All the best.

You either have a bad Babyface, or it's not set up right ...

I think this is a misunderstanding. He don't has a Babyface yet, but another USB interface and wants to be convinced, why the Babyface would be a better solution.

The Babyface works perfectly with an iMac. I've used this combination a long time.

best regards
Knut

Latencies, crackles, problems, issues? What manner of madness is this?

I use RME specifically to avoid ever having to learn what things like that are. Some 12 years and three RME units later I've still had not one single problem that wasn't of my own making.

JUST TO MAKE IT CLEAR: I am trying to convince myself to buy an RME USB interface, and that's why I am asking questions. I HAVEN'T tried RME yet.

To Timur Born and Admin Knut,

Guys, can you please demistify for me the differences between the Firewire and USB protocols when it comes to audio. I've read lots of conflicting information so far, and due to my experience with the EMU 0404 USB, I am sort of skeptical about USB. I've also come across statements however, that a Firewire interface might perform poorly on a non-TI chipset -- and my computers both don't have a Texas Instruments Firewire chip in them.

Why is it generally believed that Firewire is more suitable for audio, if USB can be well implemented (as it is hopefully the case with RME)? Are statements like "Firewire provides a more consistent stream of data and doesn't tax the CPU" actually true in practice?

Thank you!

P.S. And YES, apart from all the software optimizations and OS/driver updates, suggested on the Web, I have also tried: new USB-PCI card, all possible USB ports, using only the audio interface as an USB device, buying an C2D iMac, and as Admin Knut suggested: another cable. Nothing improved in terms audio performance. The computers are obviously not the problem, it's the interface hardware/software. That's why I am shopping for a new audio card!

Buy from somewhere that guarantees you can return it if you don't like it or it doesn't work for your needs. Actually using something is always the best idea. I doubt you'll return any RME product but at least have the option and everyone here is only going to tell you it'll work!////v ;.[p; v

My cat added the last bit. smile

^a.j.scott

I totally agree with you. Obviously, there is no other way than going cold turkey. Would have appreciated more information on why RME's products stand out other than that they "simply work", but thank you all for your replies.

smile

To simplify, many other manufacturers use a system-on-a-chip approach to FireWire & USB interfaces. Then they add the I/Os and build a case around the existing solution. Drivers are written by the makers of the chip. This is why you see the same performance and I/O across so many interfaces from different manufacturers.

RME develops their own USB and FireWire systems in house. This is implemented in the FPGA, which is a programmable chip controlling all audio functions, TotalMix, and with current solutions, connection to the host computer. The FPGA can be updated, so most problems that come up with new computers can be fixed and pushed out via firmware updates.

You still need a workable computer environment for the RME devices, they can't make a fundamentally unsuitable computer work well. But if the RME USB or FireWire interfaces won't work, nothing will.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

To simplify, many other manufacturers use a system-on-a-chip approach to FireWire & USB interfaces. Then they add the I/Os and build a case around the existing solution. Drivers are written by the makers of the chip. This is why you see the same performance and I/O across so many interfaces from different manufacturers.

RME develops their own USB and FireWire systems in house. This is implemented in the FPGA, which is a programmable chip controlling all audio functions, TotalMix, and with current solutions, connection to the host computer. The FPGA can be updated, so most problems that come up with new computers can be fixed and pushed out via firmware updates.

You still need a workable computer environment for the RME devices, they can't make a fundamentally unsuitable computer work well. But if the RME USB or FireWire interfaces won't work, nothing will.

OK, I'm sold! smile

Just want to know which edition to pick. I've read some comments from users that the Silver Edition has had problems with the dial knob? Has this issue been resolved?

I'd get the original blue, but the color doesn't fit my desktop environment very much. Are you aware of any issues with the Snow White Edition?

Finally, is it a problem if I use a USB keyboard/mouse and USB keyboard alongside the Babyface? Will performance suffer?

Thanks.

There are no issues with any edition. The problem with some loose knobs was resolved a long time ago. The Snow Edition is a limited edition and should be sold out by now.

Finally, is it a problem if I use a USB keyboard/mouse and USB keyboard alongside the Babyface? Will performance suffer?

No. Most mainboards use independent USB hubs on different ports anyway.

best regards
Knuts

Two things:

USB overall does the same as Firewire, both have a minimum latency of 1 ms on Windows. CPU load differences on modern CPUs are practically non-existant.

I can run a Fireface UC plus concurrently accessed harddrive on the *same* USB hub while maintaining low latency audio performance. The RME USB driver reserves the bandwidth it needs on the USB bus, so that other devices have to cut back their performance in favor of the RME interface.

Timur Born wrote:

Two things:

USB overall does the same as Firewire, both have a minimum latency of 1 ms on Windows. CPU load differences on modern CPUs are practically non-existant.

I can run a Fireface UC plus concurrently accessed harddrive on the *same* USB hub while maintaining low latency audio performance. The RME USB driver reserves the bandwidth it needs on the USB bus, so that other devices have to cut back their performance in favor of the RME interface.

This is fascinating and really smart. Hope the driver performance is consistent across both the PC and Mac platform.

It's a little strange to me that RME advertises better latency performance on Macintosh than on Windows though. I've read statements on the main website like:

Mac OS X

Exceptional performance on par with PCI. Buffer sizes down to 32 samples can be used in practice with CPU loads close to 100%. There are two reasons: Most Mac Intel hardware is up to date, and works quite well with USB on a hardware level. Furthermore, Apple did a good job with USB Audio, ensuring great performance and stability inside OSX and Core Audio. Microsoft could well take a page from Apple's book here...

and

The Babyface achieves latency values down to 48 samples on Windows and 14 samples on Mac OS X

I have found Reaper performed worse on a Mac than on Windows, even though my iMac is more powerful than my PC. Granted, this might have been due to the poor driver support for my audio interface, but my experience aside, extensive testing at DAWBench.com has showed worse performance overall on Mac OS X than on Windows -- across all software DAWs and audio interfaces tested.

Can anyone share how RME conducts its tests and what sort of software/hardware the team uses to determine these results? Given the aforementioned statements, I can easily come to the conclusion that RME products perform better on Macs. Is there any empirical proof to back such reasoning?

Thanks.

Well, the short version between Apple and Microsoft is the way the OS is programmed. Windows is an event-driven OS which means that all events needed to be handled are put into a queue, first one in - first one out. Other interrupts needed to run the OS  are a special kind of interrupt (probably won't explain this that good) and the trick is that the interrupt can and should be only 256 bytes or whatever for any one (meaning manufacturers of all hardware that use these interrupts have to really get their programming code together) or else all those type of interrupts suffer in the end with a bad one in there. No matter what is going on, not one of those interrupts can totally take over without allowing the others to function either (or the computer would not work - especially since the OS uses those also programed by microsoft to run the OS (and there are many functions in the OS that need to be done all the time).

Mac was more programmed that it was or seemed to be more dedicated especially in audio or anything like that allowing for total overall lower latency - thus the 14ms time needed, while Windows needed always more so the latency was always more.

I suggest you read up on each OS and why they work like they do on a Internet Search because to explain all the differences in the OS can not be done here. Now a Mac running Windows on it, may make the computer respond slower because it is Windows that is causing that, and not the real OS of the MAC which is not Windows.

In other words, for real-time programming a MAC's OS is easier to dedicate so it is always more constant with programming for any real-time programming task. Windows is not dedicated for any real-time programming coding, and is not a real-time programming machine, so the coding has to jump through hoops to keep it somewhat real-time and your computer with Windows's OS has to change certain things around (no extra-raneous activity going on) to keep it somewhat on the same keel because Windows will not wait for any such programming task to take over to be more dedicated. All you can do is keep the OS at the minimum of other such events that would interfere needing to take over an interrupt while on a MAC's OS those interrupts can not interfere as much with a dedicated interrupt (for audio, for guiding a telescope, or any type of engineering task that would essentially be used for such a real-time programming task).

ive been having the same pops and crackling....it jsut went away when i unplugged and pluged the usb reciever for my wirless keyboard/mouse.

no idea if that is why its working now

Again:

JUST TO MAKE IT CLEAR: I am trying to convince myself to buy an RME USB interface, and that's why I am asking questions. I HAVEN'T tried RME yet.

Tips for his EMU problems here are maybe helpful but this is not the right place for the support of a 3rd party product.

best regards
Knut

spacealf wrote:

In other words, for real-time programming a MAC's OS is easier to dedicate so it is always more constant with programming for any real-time programming task. Windows is not dedicated for any real-time programming coding, and is not a real-time programming machine, so the coding has to jump through hoops to keep it somewhat real-time and your computer with Windows's OS has to change certain things around (no extra-raneous activity going on) to keep it somewhat on the same keel because Windows will not wait for any such programming task to take over to be more dedicated. All you can do is keep the OS at the minimum of other such events that would interfere needing to take over an interrupt while on a MAC's OS those interrupts can not interfere as much with a dedicated interrupt (for audio, for guiding a telescope, or any type of engineering task that would essentially be used for such a real-time programming task).

Hi, spacealf. Thanks for your detailed posts.

I guess you are referring to the Windows and Mac OS X's native audio drivers: DirectSound and CoreAudio respectively. However, it has long been the case that Windows' DirectSound has been deemed useless for real-time audio applications and has been replaced by the de facto standard ASIO driver. Therefore, any comparisons between audio engines should be drown between CoreAudio & ASIO and not CoreAudio & DirectSound.

I suggest you have a look at this article: http://www.dawbench.com/win7-v-osx-1.htm

Some tests have shown that ASIO makes fewer calls per buffer than CoreAudio and overall performs better than the Mac OS equivalent at the lowest buffer settings. There are lots of benchmarks documented showing Windows performing better than Mac OS X at the lowest latencies.

Tips for his EMU problems here are maybe helpful but this is not the right place for the support of a 3rd party product.

best regards
Knut

I have tried everything under the sun to make the EMU 0404 USB work as expected, but it's just impossible to do with the current state of their drivers. It has been the experience of many users that Creative's "Pro" interfaces are simply unstable. I have given up on mine already. smile

What I am more interested in is what platform I should choose for my new Babyface. Again, given the statements on RME's website, it's easy to assume that a Mac would work better with an RME USB interface. However, empirical proof on the web has shown Windows 7 to be the better performing DAW Host lately.

Will anyone kindly share why RME specifies Macs as more suitable for USB audio and how it tests the hardware?!

Will anyone kindly share why RME specifies Macs as more suitable for USB audio and how it tests the hardware?!

It doesn't matter. Just choose the OS that you like and for the audio software you are working with. If you choose a comparable hardware the performance results are also comparable.

best regards
Knut

From my experience, if you do lots of FX and instruments, windows will perform better on equal hardware. IN other words lets you use more fx and instrument voices at lower latency`s.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

From my experience, if you do lots of FX and instruments, windows will perform better on equal hardware. IN other words lets you use more fx and instrument voices at lower latency`s.

This is precisely the kind of results I see over the web.

Admin Knut, stability and performance are my main consideration. If a PC or a Mac performs better on equal hardware, I will go for whichever delivers better results. That's why I wanted to know if there are fundamental differences between the two OS's that benefit real-time audio applications.

The minimum latency on Windows is 1 ms, on OS X there is no such minimum (most software will limit you to 14 samples minimum, though). The way audio drivers are to be implemented on OS X (CoreAudio) and the way processes/threads are scheduled seems to come with some overhead that sees Windows often perform better. Another not so unimportant reason might be that many programs are originating from Windows and then ported to OS X. Logic still is kind of the (benchmark) reference on OS X.

But you are over-analyzing these things. OS is less important than getting modern hardware with good BIOS support. As always there are three options:

1) Get an PC from a dedicated audio PC builder.
2) Get a Mac that is successfully used by thousands of other musicians.
3) Get any PC and hope/try for the best.

Timur Born wrote:

The minimum latency on Windows is 1 ms, on OS X there is no such minimum (most software will limit you to 14 samples minimum, though). The way audio drivers are to be implemented on OS X (CoreAudio) and the way processes/threads are scheduled seems to come with some overhead that sees Windows often perform better. Another not so unimportant reason might be that many programs are originating from Windows and then ported to OS X. Logic still is kind of the (benchmark) reference on OS X.

But you are over-analyzing these things. OS is less important than getting modern hardware with good BIOS support. As always there are three options:

1) Get an PC from a dedicated audio PC builder.
2) Get a Mac that is successfully used by thousands of other musicians.
3) Get any PC and hope/try for the best.

I've already ordered a Babyface. Still waiting for it to arrive though. smile

Well, I do have a an iMac C2D @ 2.93GHz which -- according to RME's recommendations -- should meet the chipset requirements for flawless work of the interface. I am not sure this particular model has been "successfully used by thousands of other musicians", but I haven't read any nasty comments about it -- and I've searched. I won't be using a Firewire interface, so the fact my iMac has a cheap Lucent FW chipset doesn't bother me. I have my fingers crossed that this time USB audio will finally work.

My main issue has been the USB audio interface just not scaling up. For example, my current USB interface can be set to 14 samples in Reaper on Mac OS X, but recording just a single track using these settings on my iMac produces a recorded file with horrible dropout artifacts in the file itself! On OS X, even at 1024 samples, I can still get artifacts in the file occasionally. And keep in mind, this is not related to the CPU performance: even at 14 samples, my CPU doesn't go above 40-50% usage and the cores never spike. At higher buffer settings, the CPU is barely working...

Paradoxically, the same interface fares much better on a slower AMD64 PC under Windows. Although I was able to get artifacts in the recorded files at the lowest buffer settings, digital distortion in the recorded items was never really an issue for me under Windows. I was really shocked when the Mac produced so much worse results with supposedly much higher quality components. But even on Windows, I still get the occasional dropouts, regardless of the buffer setting -- only, they don't get printed into my recordings; I just hear them while recording/playback.

Granted, all of this can be because of generally poor drivers and even worse drivers for Mac OS. I sincerely hope RME have done better with the USB protocol. I am aware of its safety buffer limitations and OS USB driver dependencies, but this is 1-2 channels of input I am talking about, for Christ's sake! When my CPU cores stay at 5% with no spikes whatsoever, I am expecting my interface to work without interruptions, and when the CPU load goes up, the interface to scale up too. I am not even touching 70-80% CPU load. Even my DPC readings were perfectly fine for audio. Why should a USB interface produce drop-outs under these conditions is a mystery to me.

Read great things about RME's drivers, so I made a bet USB audio should for low-latency monitoring of 2 mono channels. Why shouldn't it?!

I don't know about a Mac. I use Windows XP, and old computer (Pentium 4) and the Babyface with ASIO drivers of RME (for latency allowance) and Cakewalk Sonar (which I am use to). I usually only record audio (in stereo), never use MIDI and changing it to an audio type on the fly (which takes more CPU power, maybe someday) and can record over 40 tracks (20 stereo - left, right) and verily use any CPU power or Hard Disk Drive Action and I am sure I could get way more if I wanted to play all of it (which I do play all of it).

Well, good luck, mine works fine, hope yours does also.

(if I used the WDM drivers of Windows there would be latency and it would sound that way and tracks would be hard to line up together, not so with ASIO that allows for latency and makes all tracks and recordings always together, no matter how much setting samples I am using with the Babyface). (Higher recordings, like 96000 sample rate) I am going to try even though 48000 is usually enough.) You I suppose just have to get use to it and all of that.
Low-latency I don't even think about because the ASIO drivers take care of that.