Topic: Recording synths with babyface

Hi

Just some redlections on recording/tracking a keyboard with the RME Babyface. My setup is a MBP, Logic, synthesizer and a pair of monitors and phones.

I have a stereo synth (Roland, Yamaha, Korg....whatever) and I am trying to record the output of the instrument (DAC) to the A/D (xlr) of the Babyface. In TotalMix, however, I have to keep the signal level quite low (15db or max 21db) in order to avoid the audio "hiss" that is prevalent, once you start increase the gain. This is to low for my taste, and I cant get a clean audio recording of my synth at higher gain level without hearing the hiss so I have to compromise to a lower recording input and hence lower playback.

What is the standard practise here? What level is normal recording synths into your arrangemnet?

Second reflection,

While listening to the stereo output of the synth connected to the RME Babyface (both in stereo or 2x monos in TM) through both closed and opened phones (or monitors), I hear a lack in the sound quality of the synth. Any single patch from the synth feels thinner, lower end and undefined highs. So, again, is this normal practice? You cant get what you hear through the audio interface?

Looking forward to your comments. Thanks in advance!

Re: Recording synths with babyface

With a synthesizer's line output aignal, you should not need to apply any gain at all.Try increasing the output level. But gain will only increase what is already present, it does not add hiss.

As for the sound, the only possible explanation is the (microphone) inputs' very mild bass rolloff, which can be easily compensated, see my posting # 8 in this thread.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Many thanks!

It depends on how you see it but, but I have come to conclude that babyface is better suited for musicians using it for recordings with microhopnes, hence not suited for my needs of recording keyboards.

Im going straigt line out to the xlr ins through a 1/4trs to xlr cable from the synth. Is there a way to bypass the babyface preams in order to record a clean signal through its AD? Someone told me not to record synths through xlr inputs since there is a signal imbalance which may vause the lower audio quality.

The preamps can not be bypassed, but the do not alter the signal. An XLR connection does not affect audio quality, either, the comment about "imbalance" is somewhat, umm, unusual...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Different patches of sound on the synth are at different volumes set by the manufacturer. Bass patches are usually overly loud (turn down volume output) while other patches higher in frequencies do not need to be recorded as loud (because usually in the overall mix, they are put down in volume or else would be overrunning the music). Still other patches may not be at the total volume they can be because it was set at the factory that way. You turn up those patches volumes if necessary gaining more output to record them better. Balance - maybe from the factory, but usually I have found that with patches it always pays to check the volume output of the patch with the total master volume out, and if too loud like most Bass patches, then turning down the volume can always be done. Plus there can be other factors used in recording with compression equipment, preamp equipment, and other sound recording gear in the chain before getting to the Babyface. Your job, is to figure it out.
Plus how do they know if you are going to use MIDI or the analog signals out. They do not, so it may be also that it all was set for MIDI in the patches to be played back through the synth after recording the MIDI.

And I guess in the end that is why synths have something like 248 page manuals because I am sure that is how big my manual is.