Topic: Babyface - strange noises on power on / start up

Hello,
Sometimes I am getting strange low frequency modulated noises when powering on the Babyface. It is very loud, going out through the phones/3-4 outs, this loud that I am afraid of headphones connected could get damaged.
It happens when powering on the computer with Babyface connected directly to it and also with some hub between, and not always, just sometimes. It occurs also sometimes when just hot plugging in the Babyface on running System.     
What helps is to plug it out and back in, sometimes in the different outlet of the computer or the hub. It is macbook pro unibody 2011, although it doesn't seem to be the computer issue - it happens also with the usb hub. And no other device have a problem with my usb setup.
Looks like there is no rule when it happens. I can't say if the noise is coming also through the main outs, the speakers are of when I am powering on. 
Does anyone else have this issue?
I have current firmware / drivers installed.
Thanks,
all the best
/memor

2 (edited by Cellist 2012-06-23 07:36:02)

Re: Babyface - strange noises on power on / start up

Hello,

I actually have a similar issue--except worse. I have the same very loud noise, except, when I first experienced it was through my 8-inch monitors which vibrated my apartment. What makes it worse is that the noise occurs all the time--even when the breakout cable is completely unplugged--with or without 48V. I love my Babyface when it works! Please help!

Wesley

Here is what comes through:

[img align=L]http://s17.postimage.org/toe4xsixr/Screen_shot_2012_06_23_at_1_29_16_AM.png[/img]

Hi Cellist,
I was investigating the problem a little further, and I suspect it could be power issue - like there is not enough power. I connected the babyface through an active hub with a normal usb cable and have got the noise just every time. Then I used the "original" USB Y-cable which comes with the Babyface, so there is additional plug for more power, and the noise doesn't occur anymore.

Btw. thanks for the screenshot. That looks the same in your and my case - showing in Totalmix just on the first two analog inputs, right?

Here is how does the noise sound like: power up noise
Is it the same in your case? Does the Y-Cable solve the problem?

all the best,
/memor

Yeah that sounds just like it.

Wow, thanks. I just plugged in power and it works fine! Weird how it didn't need it before. Thanks a lot!

-Wes