1 (edited by Zombiechords 2012-09-26 01:52:33)

Topic: HDSP Multiface I - best/working motherboard?

It seems my mobo (ASUS M4A79XTD evo) does not get along with the multiface at all!! Massive problems I cannot be bothered to go into now...

I'm getting a new system and am wondering if anyone is using two multiface I (pci) on any motherboards with perfect results?

I hear murmurs of the sandy bridge not playing nice with old pci cards...

I'm using the rev 1.8 cards... If that makes a difference!

I'm a big fan of my UAD1's and Pcie SSL duende in pro tools 9 ( I think I'm going to get an expansion chassis for the 3 UAD's processing card)s

http://www.virtuavia.eu/shop/pcie-4-x-p … html?sl=EN

So need a mobo with enough speed in the pci slots to use 3 UAD-1s, 2 multiface and an SSl duende (pcie) at once...

Shower me with knowledge RME forum!!

Re: HDSP Multiface I - best/working motherboard?

You need (5) Legacy PCI slots on a modern Sandy/Ivybridge PC?  I don't think that is likely to happen.  You might find something that won't choke on 2 PCI cards, but even that is not likely with the PCI-to-PCIe bridge chips used on modern systems.

The Magma PCI-to-PCIe expansion chassis is likely your ONLY bet.  Not sure how these work for low-latency stuff, but I'd look into them if you must have lots of PCI support on a modern PC.

I'm slowly replacing all of my older PCI hardware as it will only serve to restrict future upgrade paths for me.  Used PCIe gear is beginning to come down in price.  A single UAD-2 Solo PCIe would likely surpass all 3 of your older UAD-1 PCI cards - and I'd bet lots of UAD Apollo buyers will be selling their UAD-2's on eBay very soon ;-)

For your Multifaces - You can look for used PCIe HDSP Cards, and keep on using the Multiface Boxes with them.  There is still a small market for the used PCI HDSP cards on eBay to recoup some of your upgrade expenses...

The sooner you try to sell your old PCI hardware, the more you will get for it.  Another few years, and you will be hard-pressed to re-sell any PCI cards IMO...

Alternatively, You might be able to squeak by with an older x58 based i7 setup (LGA1366) as they still have a few channels of native PCI on the x58 chipset - but these CPU's are 2-3 iterations behind the curve (still run pretty darn quick compared to a C2Q!).  The 6-Core is still pretty robust by today's standards.

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

I don't need 5. I plan to use the virtuvia pcie->4xpci expansion for the UAD-1 cards. I just need a mobo that can take my RME pci cards. Granted I may need to upgrade to pcie cards...but rather not have the major expense of paying £500 unless I absolutely have to.

The x58 looks the best bet tbh. Don't really mind about future proofing my machine. I'd be quite happy with the UAD-1 cards, 16i/o and the ssl duende. I don't like changing my recorded sound too muh in mixing, that's just my style :-)

Any bets on an AMD system? I emailed Scott of ADK fame (wonderful geezer) and he seemed to think that's my best shot.

Just gathering info and opinions here.

At the end of the day I'm just after stability. But might just have to bite the bullet and go spend some money...

Thanks for your help Randyman

Look into a used x58/LGA1366 system from someone that upgraded to an Ivy Bridge or SB-E system.  I'm not even sure if the x58 MoBo's are still available "as new".  I can tell you going from an x58/i7-930 system to a Sandy Bridge "E" system (LGA2011) didn't provide tons of CPU improvement over here - so that's a good argument that x58 is still a viable (and cheap) option IMO.

I'm not well versed in AMD (I've only built Intel systems over the past 8-9 years), but I do know Intel will spank AMD up and down both sides of the street.  AMD *might* still support PCI natively - not sure to be honest.

I will, however, reiterate my previous statement:

The sooner you try to sell your old PCI hardware, the more you will get for it.  Another few years, and you will be hard-pressed to re-sell any PCI cards IMO...

Think seriously about that!  The UAD-1's are pretty ancient by modern standards IMO, and future systems will require a Magma (or similar) solution to support legacy PCI moving forward IMO.  If you slowly begin upgrading to PCIe, you will be able to recoup more of your upgrade costs by selling your current PCI hardware before it's 100% obsolete, and enjoy better performance overall (UAD-2 smokes the UAD-1 - even three UAD-1's!).  If you wait another few years, you'll be starting from scratch as no one will want to buy your aging PCI cards, and you'll still end up purchasing PCIe (or thunderbolt by then) hardware for your next PC Upgrade.

Sell your PCI gear while there is still a market for it (a continuously shrinking market!).  Otherwise they'll be paperweights by the time you need to upgrade your PC again...

This is obviously your call to make - It's your hard-earned cash! :-)

Rock on cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8