Topic: UFX usb recording, Capturing software channels along w/ live audio

I used the usb recording via UFX for the first time, I had a session on the go so to speak. I had a lunch box full of API pre's and the UFX with me.
I put the drivers on my clients notebook since he used a daw to play some of his backing tracks that the rest of the people played to.

I did not really put too much thought into it but I rec enabled each channel I needed recorded and when I realized I need to have daw playback recorded (it had perc, synth parts etc) I recorded one of the phones channels set a 0dB with a submix, and got all the live tracks and daw playback as a LR stereo file, all the other files I have as individual mono files. I sorta pulled it off but i would much rather have the daw playback as one separate stereo file. I guess depending what is played eventually I would have to separate the signals coming out of the daw also.

How am I supposed to rout the DAW software playback to have that as a separate channel? I have a few ideas but I don't want to experiment today I just want to do it right...

Re: UFX usb recording, Capturing software channels along w/ live audio

Route the playback to an unused output pair, and record the outputs.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

what if all my inputs and outputs are tied to pre's, eq and comps inside of lunch boxes? can I do that via the submix? would elaborate a little, if it's not too much to ask?

Do you also use all the digital out channels (AES & ADAT)? I don't understand the rest of your questions.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

No I don't use the AES channel , I do use all 16 adat channels, I did not use them in this specific session but usually yes.

I just don't know how to rout the software playback channel for example to aes channel so that I can record it. I was just wondering if you can tell me what to do.

Select AES Out in the bottom row. Pull up the software playback faders. Arm the AES Out channels for recording.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

ah that easy, if I only knew it. Thanks Jeff