Topic: FF400: playback issue when changing samplerates

I'm currently building up my 'high end' Audio PC configuration. As soundcard and DAC I'm using the RME FF400. When I was testing a beta version of excellent JPLAY sw player I noticed problems in case music files with different samplerates/bitdepth were played after each other. Ok JPLAY V5 is still a beta version. So I used foobar2000 and similar problems occured. In the following I describe my experience with foobar2000 only.

I have a playlist with files of different bitdepth and samplerate (16/44,1 | 24.96 | 24.192). When a change of bitdepth/samplerate shall take place the playback stops. I have the FF setting dialog box open in parallel and can see that samplerate is changed correctly.

Solutions:
1) in such a situation I need to press stop button within foobar and select the file for playback again
2) stopping playback, manually selecting the samplerate within FF settings dialog, wait 1-2sec and select the file for playback
3) select a file for playback (with a different samplerate), press stop and play again

It seems that changing the bitdepth/samplerate takes some time within the FF400. Does anyone experience the same problem with foobar2000 or any other sw player?

@RME support: is this a known bug of FF400? What is your recommended solution?

KR
Peter

Config:
PC: Asus P8Z77-M | i5-3570K | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB 1600 CL9 | Win8
RME: FF400 | HW 1.71 | Driver 3.070 |

Re: FF400: playback issue when changing samplerates

Try JRiver Media Center. It continues the playlist while changing the sample rate.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I've installed the demo version of JRIVER. Sample rate changes are working with ASIO fireface setting. In case ASIO JPLAY is used instead of ASIO fireface, JRIVER is printing the following error message:

Device: JPLAY Driver (0 channel shift)
Buffer Type: 18 (8832 samples)
Output format: 44100 kHz - 2 channels
Post Output Ready: 0
ASIOStart Return Value: -1000 (should be 0)
Plugin Open Return Value: -1 (should be 0)
Buffer 0 Pointer: 99010392

Any hints for the JPLAY guys how to overcome this issue. Btw it seems to be the same problem with foobar2000 and the foobar ASIO.

Thx
Peter

Sorry, no. This could be many things. I know from our own tool DIGICheck that we did not add something to deal with such effects. IMHO they just do something wrong. You might ask the JPLAY guys if they completely reset ASIO when changing the sample rate. That is necessary, not just stopping, setting a different sample rate, restart. That won't work for various reasons. Or let them download the JRiver reference... :-)

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by nightingale 2013-01-16 14:48:23)

Daniel,
I tried with JR MC18 and the sample rate change works with ASIO fireface driver. I did notice the following when I enable the show ASIO diagnostic within JRMC: in case sample rate needs to be changed, there are 2 ASIO diagnostic messages displayed. The first is informing about the change of the sample rate, the other one about the change in buffer size. Do we need to send both, the sample rate change AND the buffer size change AND restart ASIO before starting playback???
edit: is there an ASIOSetBufferSize command defined at all???
Thx
Peter