1 (edited by Idiaiteros 2013-09-20 05:16:53)

Topic: RME DIGI 96/8PAD with AEB4-0 PROBLEM

Hello i bought the expansion board AEB4-O for my DIGI96/8/PAD and the problem is the following

when i put the headphones to one of the 4 balanced outs the volume was in certain level and could not operate its level within the control panel.The same symptom while place the jack in out 2.The other 2 output pots remain silenced and no sound come out even if i choose channel 5/6 or 7/8 or 1/2 3/4.Can someone explain me what to do?Maybe the card is damaged.

My settings within the control panel are the following:

input: analog
output: automatic
stereo devices: sync allign
Safe mode: unchecked
output format: Force adat
Clocksync: Auto or master

My rme digi96 card has the adat boot jumper pulled

please someone who can help with the jumper settings on both cards, i read manuals but not understand it exactly.thanks

Below are 3 image links to check the jampers from both cards.Thank you!

s1083.photobucket.com/user/Jimarmaos/media/RME%20DIGI96/DSC02311.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/Jimar … =3&o=1

http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/Jimar … 0.jpg.html

Re: RME DIGI 96/8PAD with AEB4-0 PROBLEM

These are balanced mono outputs, not intended for use with headphones...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by Idiaiteros 2013-09-20 11:00:25)

RME Support wrote:

These are balanced mono outputs, not intended for use with headphones...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

what this mean, these are only for 2 amplifiers etc?
What about the other problems wrote to previous message
please check my photo links also to ensure that everything is ok

* manual sais that "Tip: Up to 4 headphones can be connected directly to the AEB8-O"
* why i cant control volume levels within the control panel? (i check it with headphones)

4 (edited by Zapp 2013-09-20 11:00:53)

Idiaiteros wrote:

Hello i bought the expansion board AEB4-O for my DIGI96/8/PAD and the problem is the following...

You have bought the AEB4-O and not the AEB8-O, which is a different card!

Idiaiteros wrote:

..manual sais that "Tip: Up to 4 headphones can be connected directly to the AEB8-O!

As you can see this is valid for the AEB8-O, you can read that on the website of RME.
Go figure!

Regards
Zapp

Zapp wrote:
Idiaiteros wrote:

Hello i bought the expansion board AEB4-O for my DIGI96/8/PAD and the problem is the following...

You have bought the AEB4-O and not the AEB8-O, which is a different card!

Idiaiteros wrote:

..manual sais that "Tip: Up to 4 headphones can be connected directly to the AEB8-O!

As you can see this is valid for the AEB8-O, you can read that on the website of RME.
Go figure!

Thank you for your reply.You know im rookie to this kind of gear so i have to make little practice in it.Can you tell me for what can be using this card?

6 (edited by Zapp 2013-09-20 12:10:36)

You have got 4 independent Mono Outs balanced. You could use two of them balanced or unbalanced as stereo out to an amplifier (headphone- or stereo-Hifi amp). For this you could use an adaptercable like TSR-jack to RCA like this one:

http://www.thomann.de/gr/the_sssnake_spr2015.htm

So you can feed two stereoamps at once (1-2 is L-R for the first, 3-4 is the second).
Afaik you can shorten the balanced outs with this cable with no problem at all, but maybe RME-support can chime in to clear that up.
Got it?

Regards
Zapp

7 (edited by Idiaiteros 2013-09-22 22:02:38)

Zapp wrote:

You have got 4 independent Mono Outs balanced. You could use two of them balanced or unbalanced as stereo out to an amplifier (headphone- or stereo-Hifi amp). For this you could use an adaptercable like TSR-jack to RCA like this one:

http://www.thomann.de/gr/the_sssnake_spr2015.htm

So you can feed two stereoamps at once (1-2 is L-R for the first, 3-4 is the second).
Afaik you can shorten the balanced outs with this cable with no problem at all, but maybe RME-support can chime in to clear that up.
Got it?

Oh thank you man, now things get better.So i can use them as playback outputs to feed amps and the cable you described is the link above i know its balanced to unbalanced cable ok.
Question 1:  can i use splitters to feed more than one amp in each output pair and without any loss?
Question 2: my rme digi96/pad has jumpers on it one of them say "boot adat" and 2 others marked as j2 , j3 what exactly these jumpers do?Sorry asking but manual has not detailed infos.
Question 3: Can i shorten the balanced outputs to use them with unbalanced gear without problems?

Thank you in advance!. Jim.

8 (edited by Zapp 2013-09-23 11:06:28)

Idiaiteros wrote:

...and the cable you described is the link above i know its balanced to unbalanced cable ok.

No, this cable is unbalanced, but you can use it afaik.

Idiaiteros wrote:

Question 1:  can i use splitters to feed more than one amp in each output pair and without any loss?

Afaik you loose level because of the additional load to the outputs, depends on your amps and gear you connect. Afaik you cannot destroy the output stages with normal amp input loads or similar, Headphones can be too heavy load, in any case I would suggest to use amps in between.

Idiaiteros wrote:

Question 2: my rme digi96/pad has jumpers on it one of them say "boot adat" and 2 others marked as j2 , j3 what exactly these jumpers do?Sorry asking but manual has not detailed infos.

The boot adat jumper when removed forces the card to boot into spdif mode during startup ( is in the manual, the right one!!), the other jumpers I don't know, maybe others here know about.

Idiaiteros wrote:

Question 3: Can i shorten the balanced outputs to use them with unbalanced gear without problems?

No problem, maybe you loose 6 dB of level.
But in general just try it for yourself, on the other hand maybe somebody here can shed light into it, I for myself use a Digiface...

Regards
Zapp