1 (edited by Randyman... 2013-12-19 01:16:06)

Topic: TMFX Bug? Selecting an un-programmed Mix Snapshot & Main Volume Level

Hello all,

I noticed something odd yesterday.  I have TMFX (MADIface-XT) setup to "Do Not load Main Volume/Balance".  I saved valid Mix Snapshots in slots 1-4.  I clicked on "Mix 5" and it seemed to load a default snapshot with a different (default) Main Out assignment (no problem, and expected).

When I re-selected my "Mix 1" snapshot, the Main Outs re-routed to match the snapshot, and the Main volume jumped to 0dB unity gain.  Luckily I didn't have anything playing at the time.

This seems to stem from recalling a snapshot with a different Main Output routing and then swapping back to another snapshot with the desired Main Output routing with "Do Not load Main Volume/Balance" enabled.

I will likely revert back to loading main volume/balance for other reasons (mainly to have a recallable level for Speaker-B since there isn't a way to have the ARC control Speaker B w/o linking it to the Main - see my other feature request thread for that smile ) - but people might want to be aware about this potentially damaging issue.

You can likely overwrite all 8 snapshots with valid snapshots from your current configuration to alleviate the possibility of recalling an un-programmed snapshot with different Main Out routing.

As you were cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Re: TMFX Bug? Selecting an un-programmed Mix Snapshot & Main Volume Level

It's not a bug, it's logical, and has been like this ever since for any TM FX supported unit. In typical usage you do not change your main outs at all.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by Randyman... 2013-12-19 07:49:25)

Of course the operator won't generally change the main outs - but the default snapshots obviously can wink

Curious - why would the default action for re-assigning your main outs be to default the channel to unity gain?  Seems like an odd default, as who knows what's routed there at the moment, but then again my "Mains" are a 4KW PA System so maybe I'm the odd one!

I'll just make sure to overwrite all of the default presets as not to run into this default behavior in the future.  Just thought I might be able to prevent some toasted drivers for some otherwise unlucky prospect that runs into this when recalling the default snapshots and switching back to their own snapshots smile

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Also, when you use your unit directly connected to speakers and switch from one snapshot, which only assigned the main out to some headphones to a snapshot which assigns your speakers as main out - playing something back atm - the signal goes up to 0 dB for under a second. Can be scary.

But really: there should be a safe mode, where something like Randyman described can't happen. Otherwise your nice volume knob on the ufx gets useless or you need balls to rely on the unit purely.