Topic: TMFX Dynamics Request: Higher Threshold & Shorter Release?

Hi,

Any chance of increasing the dynamics threshold (specifically for the Expander/Gate)?  I'm attempting to hard-gate some drum mics that feed a PA Mix and very loud full-range Drum Monitor to prevent resonant feedback and bleed (EQ+D is disabled to ASIO), and even with the highest threshold setting available, I still get lots of chatter and false opens (but loving the crazy low-latency TMFX affords me!).

Also, I believe the common release control can only sneak down to 100ms - any chance of lowering that to a shorter release time for faster Limiting and such?

And lastly (and unlikely) - will there ever be plans to add discrete Attack/Release controls for Comp and Expander separately?  I'm mainly leaning on the Gates for now - so it's not a huge deal to use tight/quick Gate settings because I'm not compressing much (if any).

I could see a benefit to having them separated - especially when wanting the gate/expander at a VERY quick attack and the Dynamics at a higher attack so the dynamics can still breathe a little.  Snare for example - you generally don't want the gate to open and also start compressing at the exact same time, and having discrete threshold controls alone will not allow you to accomplish this.  It can be difficult to use the dynamics section for creative envelope control with the expander and compressor time-constants linked together.

Thanks for reading! cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Re: TMFX Dynamics Request: Higher Threshold & Shorter Release?

Would -20 (currently -30) be enough?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I do believe an extra 10dB would do the trick.  Hopefully that's an easy fix.

The rest of my suggestions are probably more work, but still valid points IMO.  Just seeing what sticks wink

cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

It 's not easy because we will have to update the firmware of all TM FX hardware. So this will not be done quickly, but soon.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I'll keep my eyes open for any future updates.  I appreciate you looking into it! big_smile

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

Is there any chance of ever seeing 2 sends to control the FX ? this would help live mixing a lot to be able to run a verb on snare and a delay on vocals with independant send controls..

Sorry, that needs a big rework and is quite unlikely.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I backed off the preamp gain on some of the aforementioned drum inputs (I wasn't clipping before, just have more headroom now), and the -30dB threshold is usable, but would still be happier with the proposed -20dB threshold - especially on the floor tom.  Take your sweet time on this smile

RE ebulb's comment:
As a simpler and way less elegant tradeoff:  What about adding discretely assignable inputs to the Reverb and Delay blocks (similar to the output assignments in the CR).  The Reverb and Delay would default to the integrated Aux Send bus as they do now - but then have the option of assigning their block's INPUT to a MADI Output (that output's submix is now your "Send #2")?  You could even EQ and "gate" the send if you want with the output channel's EQ/Dynamics smile  (common for snare verb sends)

Both Reverb and Delay could technically still return to the common FX-Return bus in this make-shift solution - or maybe have the returns assignable to input channels in TMFX for discrete FX-return control (don't want Snare Verb in the Vox Monitor, etc).  You could then EQ the FX-returns in the input channel as well! smile

This would allow much better utilization of the two independent effects blocks.

Like I mentioned before - just tossing stuff out there and seeing what sticks.  I'm thoroughly impressed with TMFX's current feature set cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

btw @MC:
Any news regarding the compressor sound bug I reported in summer?