Topic: Eq for bass management

Hello,
For Bass management purposes, I would like to be able to add eq (low pass at 80Hz)  on the following outputs of the software LRCLsRs and add an lowpass on the lfe output of the software at 120 Hz. One solution would be to have an EQ on the Send FX (which will be then sent to the sub) without activating the Reverb and the Echo.
Is it possible?
Thanks
Simon

Re: Eq for bass management

Not sure I understand. Why not use the EQs in the outputs?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Because I need to filter two different set of sources (LRCLsRs on one hand at 80 Hz and LFE on the other hand at 120 Hz), such filtered source then go to the same physical output (sub). There may be an easier solution but I can't think of it. Please look at this diagram that i want to reproduce in TotalMix (http://www.google.fr/imgres?imgurl=http … CCAQrQMwAA)
Thank you again.
SImon

In that block diagram the original signals are all summed unfiltered and then go to the filter for the sub. That would be easily done with TM FX without any loopback. Just send any signal that goes to LRCLsRs also to the sub output.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank. The problem remains for the lfe as it should be sent to the sub filtered at 120hz and not at 80hz like the others channels.
If I do as you said (what I have done so far), then I am compelled to filter all channels go that the sub at 80 hz, including the lfe.
Hope you understand my problem.
Many thanks again.

6 (edited by all 2014-06-12 11:06:03)

this is a typical and very SPECIFIC 5.1 production issue. that i have also, of course .i will follow this topic.

edit : well this is no "issue", this is a procedure, in fact, to maintain consistency of the audio material through domestic broadcast sytems...

Sorry, I don't understand. Either I am missing something, or you missed that you can switch the hardware output to mono mode and thus have a single channel EQ as well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

8 (edited by simonyeah 2014-06-12 12:49:37)

Ok. I will try to be clearer.
To use bass management in 5.1, you have to use the physical sub ouput (which is different to the lfe channel which come from the software) for both following groups of channels coming from the software :
1/ the 5 channels LRCLsRs which are low passed filtered at 80hz. So just the band 20 to 80hz of these channels are sent to the physical sub output (these channels are also sent to their respective physical outputs LRCLsRs and eq with a high pass at 80 hz
2/ the 0.1 channels (aka LFE) which is to be eq which a low pass at 120 hz.

I think the confusion comes from the fact that the sub and the lfe are completely different things.

The problem in TotalMix is that to low pass the LRCLsRs channels, the only solution is to apply an eq on the sub. Then by doing so we also low pass the lfe channel at 80hz whereas you want to low pass it at 120 hz

Hope it is clearer.

Thank you again.
Simon

Got ya. I overlooked the filter behind the bass sum. You are basically correct, but the audible difference between these filters is small. If you can't live with it loopbacks would give more filters, but complicate the setup and introduce delays, same with using the FX output.

The better solution is an external surround monitor controller, definitely. It also takes away the risk of changing something unnoticed in TM FX and mixing way off...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME