1 (edited by Manuel 2015-06-14 05:47:26)

Topic: TotalMix FX Feature Suggestions

1) In the Matrix some controls cannot be accessed when the window size is too small. Consider enforcing a minimum window size, filling empty surrounding areas with solid black or dark gray.

2) Combine "Preferences" and "Settings" into a single window (e.g. add an extra tab?). Having "Settings" and "Preferences" is very confusing, even for RME staff, for example, the manual for the Fireface UCX says "Preferences" but it's actually "Settings":

Talkback: A click on this button will dim all signals on the Phones outputs by an amount set up
in the Preferences dialog. At the same time the control room's microphone signal (source de-
fined in Preferences) is sent to the Phones. The microphone level is adjusted with the channel's
input fader.

3) Why not have the mixer app respond to a global keyboard command so that we can adjust volume without resorting to third party hacks?

4) The manual and the GUI use the term "MIDI Control" incorrectly, it should be MIDI Controller or MIDI Device. "MIDI control" refers to a knob or a fader, whereas a MIDI Controller is a whole device with several faders, knobs and buttons.

5) Use the same terminology to refer to a feature everywhere. In the GUI and user manuals different words are used to mean "MIDI Controller":

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98636804/Forums/RME/2015-06-14-111028%20Menu.pnghttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98636804/Forums/RME/2015-06-14-123255%20Nomenclature.pnghttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98636804/Forums/RME/2015-06-14-111719%20Nomenclature.png

"Submix linked to MIDI Control" should read "Submix linked to MIDI Controller"
"MIDI Remote 1/2/3/4" and "OSC Remote 1/2/3/4" should read "MIDI Controller 1/2/3/4" and  "OSC Controller 1/2/3/4"
The listview header "Remote" should read "Controller" or "Controllers" or "Controller(s)"
"Index" should read "MIDI Controllers", and "OSC Controllers" on the OSC tab.

Actually, the choice of words doesn't matter, either "Controller" or "Remote" is good but the point is: it better to use the same terminology throughout. Thanks!

Re: TotalMix FX Feature Suggestions

> 1) In the Matrix some controls cannot be accessed when the window size is too small.

Seems you did not discover the small triangles to minimize Snapshot and Layout lists. In case you made the window too small by dragging - don't do it.

> 2) Combine "Preferences" and "Settings" into a single window (e.g. add an extra tab?). Having "Settings" and "Preferences" is very confusing, even for RME staff, for example, the manual for the Fireface UCX says "Preferences" but it's actually "Settings":

That is a left-over from the old TM text, not a 'confused' entry.

Thanks for your comments. Cleaning up these errors or word mixings will take some time as they are found in numerous manuals.

BTW, your driver and with it TM FX is outdated. Yet again wink

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by Manuel 2015-06-14 06:32:55)

The global Mute and Solo buttons color scheme is not easy to understand:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98636804/Forums/RME/2015-06-14-131811%20Global%20mute.png

For example, the difference between the mute buttons in C and D is very hard to tell if you are looking at each picture individually. I have included the custom color scheme I was using with the old TotalMix for each of the four possible states.

For the channel mute buttons:

White = Channel not muted
Pink = Channel mute button is engaged BUT not effective (because global mute is not engaged)
Red = Channel mute button is engaged and effective (because global mute is engaged)

For the global mute button:

White = Disengaged
Pink = Engaged but no channel mute buttons are engaged
Red = Engaged AND one or more channel mute button is engaged

I don't see the point in making the global Mute a different color if it is not engaged, it's very confusing.

I used a similar approach for the global Solo button:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98636804/Forums/RME/2015-06-14-133035%20Global%20Solo.png

> I don't see the point in making the global Mute a different color if it is not engaged, it's very confusing.

This indicates there is no Mute active somewhere on a channel that you currently can not see (scrolled outside the window).

Trust me, you will get used to the new colors. And after some months you will realize how ugly pink looks...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by Manuel 2015-06-14 06:46:17)

Thanks, I will ensure I get the most up-to-date version of the driver.

Regarding 1) (matrix size problem), my matrix is smaller because I have hidden some channels I don't use. It's already at it's biggest size, like this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98636804/Forums/RME/2015-06-14-122318%20Gui%20size.png

The "Store" button below "Mix 8" cannot be accessed, and the window cannot be resized any bigger than this size. Maybe a window that can be resized regardless would ensure we always have access to all parts of the UI.

> "MIDI control" refers to a knob or a fader,

Google quickly shows me that the Mackie Control is called just that. Not the Mackie controller. Seems you are wrong.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Google quickly shows me that the Mackie Control is called just that. Not the Mackie controller. Seems you are wrong.

Hehe, well that's different, it's a product name. Just like it's "TotalMix" and not "TotalMixer".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI_controller

Also check the website of any MIDI equipment manufacturer and do a text search for "controller":

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Category/Co … spx?s=N200
http://www.m-audio.com/products/browse/ … ontrollers
http://global.novationmusic.com/products

Not true. The word 'control' is used in different context, it does not mean knob or fader. I agree that the menus could use the word 'controller', but don't see that 'Control' is really wrong. I leave this to our native speaking friends to discuss.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

That sounds good to me. The most important thing as far as I am concerned is consistency, that is, whatever name you guys choose just use it everywhere. Thanks!

10 (edited by david-p 2015-06-22 08:42:50)

MC wrote:

"Mackie Control" is what they call it.  The fact that the term has capital letters makes this ok.  If one discusses the nouns "control" and "controller" without capital letters, "control" refers to a knob, and "controller" is the box.  I dont see any ambiguity about this.  The "Mackie Control" box is a MIDI controller.

David

Classical ambisonic surround recording: UFX, FF400, Alesis HD24, Edirol R-44/88, Samplitude ProX 3.

This unit uses MIDI control. It is steered by MIDI control commands. The remote control protocol is unknown. Etc. Where is the 'knob' in these words? As a non native speaker there is a floating border between 'control' used as above and 'Enable MIDI control' in our menu. Again not one button, it should be fully valid. I am confused...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

12 (edited by Manuel 2015-06-21 06:00:14)

There's no point in getting drawn into a debate over a little word. MC is right that "control" and "controller" overlap semantically, so theoretically, and grammatically both are correct. However, most (if not all) people use the word "controller" to refer to the whole device, and "control" to refer to a single knob/fader/button on a device. You could of course say "a MIDI control unit" instead of "a MIDI controller", but that's not what everybody calls it.

From the Cambridge online dictionary:

Control: a switch or other device used to operate a machine such as a vehicle:
Example: Captain Firth sat at the controls of the aircraft. (not "the controllers")

From the Oxford dictionary:

Control: A switch or other device by which a device or vehicle is regulated
Example: he had the chance to take the controls and fly the glider
Example: the volume control

As you can see, the word "control" means a single switch within a larger machine. The word "controller" traditionally refers to "the person or thing operating that operates the controls or exerts control". Classic example: Microcontroller (not microcontrol). Likewise, a MIDI controller is a device that controls DAW software.

The word "control" is just a convenient way to refer, with a single word, to any type all of the following devices: knob, encoder, fader, switch, button, selector, X-Y pad, joystick, touch strip, pedal, accelerometer, infra-red sensor, etc. Rather than listing out all the possible devices (or even just the usual knob/fader/button), one can just say "control" and cover the whole range from A to Z.

To prevent ambiguity, many manufacturers simply use the terms "MIDI device" (instead of MIDI controller) and "control" (again, instead of controller, and note: it's not "MIDI control" here). The term "MIDI device" is more appropriate in the context of computer software (e.g. "Select MIDI device") because the software has no knowledge of the intended role of the connected MIDI hardware, that is, it may be a MIDI controller but it may also be a drum machine or lighting equipment.

The protocol is called "mackie control" there are other devices next to Mackie cintrollers, whuch support the "mackie CONTROL" protocol, MC is right.....

www.analoguemastering.com

14 (edited by Manuel 2015-06-21 07:39:21)

Raphie wrote:

The protocol is called "mackie control" there are other devices next to Mackie controllers, which support the "mackie CONTROL" protocol, MC is right.....

So basically you either didn't read the above posts carefully or made a typing error... In your post, see how you use the word "controller" to refer to the entire device "Mackie CONTROL" device? That's exactly the opposite of what MC is saying. Yes, the protocol is called "Mackie Control" as in "to be in control" (uncountable noun). When "control" is a countable noun it refers to switches, knobs and faders. I am not making this stuff up, it's from reputable dictionaries.

You're still missing the point. TotalmixFX supports the "Mackie Control" protocol, you get that right? That's a name, just like the "John Doe" protocol.
That protocol is supported by a whole range of controllers, of which some are actually manufactured by Mackie, hence we call them Mackie controllers.
What's so hard to understand about that?

www.analoguemastering.com

Refer to the screenshots I included in the first post, the menu says "MIDI control". I wasn't even talking about Mackie Control, it was MC that mentioned it. Whether the mixer app supports the MCU protocol is irrelevant. If you read the posts carefully you'd know that wasn't the focus of this discussion.

But, anyhow, as I suggested earlier, why not just go with "MIDI device" to refer to the device that's used to control the mixer? This way we don't need to use either "control" or "controller", thus solving the problem.

+1 When I first fiddled in totalmix I was unsure what "midi control" meant.

MC wrote:

This unit uses MIDI control. It is steered by MIDI control commands. The remote control protocol is unknown. Etc. Where is the 'knob' in these words? As a non native speaker there is a floating border between 'control' used as above and 'Enable MIDI control' in our menu. Again not one button, it should be fully valid. I am confused...

There are quite a few cases (d. h. eine Menge Fälle) in the manuals where the English version is quite confusing, not to say misleading, to native English speakers.  This being the case, it seem to me that it would be valuable and worthwhile to accept the advice of native speakers concerning intelligibility, rather than to argue that the translation is correct.

David

Classical ambisonic surround recording: UFX, FF400, Alesis HD24, Edirol R-44/88, Samplitude ProX 3.

19 (edited by Manuel 2016-06-05 19:02:52)

MC you used the term "MIDI controller" yourself on the this thread:

MC wrote:

There are lots of compatible MIDI controllers, also in smaller form factors. Please choose one of them.

I don't know if the UI has been updated because my FF400 died last month and I can't test any more unless I get it fixed or buy a new RME device.

It's been a while since the last post here, got a Babyface Pro and a UFX now, I notice some of the things herein discussed haven't changed much, so I'm just giving this topic a bit of a friendly bump.

We already tried to address your concerns in the upcoming version 1.40. I expected it yesterday, but now it seems it will be released here next week.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks MC, really looking forward to that update

23 (edited by Eracer 2016-11-30 19:48:33)

How about a slot to integrate VST / AAX plugins? (a big dream)

"RME roules!!!"

Yours Eracer

RayDat, UFX, Octamic XTC & II in Cubase 8.5 Pro

24 (edited by ramses 2016-11-30 21:40:09)

Eracer wrote:

How about a slot to integrate VST / AAX plugins? (a big dream)

Its already known by many of us that certain plugins or combinations of plugins cause
crashes of DAW and / or high CPU load.

Implementing this would most likely "sacrifice" stability of TotalMix only for a "cool feature".
Not convinced that this is the way to go.

What do you tell the users if it doesn't work ... "use this feature on your own risk ?!"

RME has a name in the industrie to produce rock solid drivers and software.
Can they guarantee this still with a VST layer and VSTs, that are not under their
control in terms of good programming and stability ? Surely not.

Based on this I assume that this is neiher in the interest of RME nor of us users expecting stable operation of TotalMix.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Plus it is easy to integrate any other VST host in Totalmix using the fantastic loopback feature. (I did couple o times)