Topic: Babyface pro as monitor-system for live gigs?

Hi,
I'm currently considering getting a Babyface pro for all the obvious reasons, but I was curious to know if it is possible to use this interface as a monitor-system, when I'm playing live gigs with my band. Can I send and control mixes for the different musicians easily and is the software stable and versatile enough, or would a dedicated monitor-system be better?

2 (edited by neirbod 2016-02-03 15:37:05)

Re: Babyface pro as monitor-system for live gigs?

I use a UFX with total mix running on a laptop for live gigs and it works very well. In my case I also have iPads and iPhones wirelessly set up and using Touch OSC for each member to adjust his own mix. This can get complicated, but more due to the musicians than the hardware.

3 (edited by Tiggerdyret 2016-02-03 16:48:00)

What kind of music do you play? Could you describe your setup, routing and gear you used to get this up and running?
I'm playing in a rock trio, that might expand with some synth and such.

We have two guitars, bass, drums and vocals. We use 12 inputs (4 UFX pres plus 8 over ADAT) and five mixes including FOH.

But my set up not very relevant. Much depends on how many input channels and mixes you need and if you plan to use IEMs.

Yeah, babyface might be cutting it a bit to close with 1 guitar, bass, 3 vocals, drums + synths going to IEMs. Do you use the preamps/mixer at the gig or do you have your own?

6 (edited by neirbod 2016-02-04 17:15:16)

Tiggerdyret wrote:

Yeah, babyface might be cutting it a bit to close with 1 guitar, bass, 3 vocals, drums + synths going to IEMs. Do you use the preamps/mixer at the gig or do you have your own?

The only mixer is Total Mix. It is very powerful and flexible, and the effects are good.  Total Mix will likely meet your needs, but not sure the Babyface has enough ins and outs for you.  Again much depends on your own needs, but keep in mind that with IEMs you will want to mic everything. Even in small clubs where you might not need drum mics for FOH, you will want them for the IEMs.  Ideally you would have an audience mic too for the IEMs (can sound too isolated from the audience otherwise), but this is less critical.

I use the 4 UFX pres and an 8 channel external pre/converter unit (Onyx 800r) sent to the UFX over ADAT.  It has two headphone outs we use for hardwired IEMs (drums and bass as we don't move much), and run the outputs on the back to two wireless IEM units and to FOH (powered mains).

If you want/need to integrate with a house mixer this is a whole other layer of complexity, especially if you move from club to club.  Many club sound guys won't want to deal with adding a new and unknown system to their own.  We only use our UFX-based rig when we bring our own system entirely.  These issues go beyond RME hardware and TM.  You may want to check out Gearslutz for threads about pros and cons of IEMs.

7 (edited by Tiggerdyret 2016-02-04 18:49:24)

I have been reading up on the subject and I'm thinking of building an xlr rack mount splitter to split all inputs to our monitor system and the FOH (the bass and synths would go directly from the Babyface to the FOH). Buying a cheap 8 channel preamp from Behringer would be alright for this purpose, then we would also be able to track some drums, if we wanted to.
When you say everything do you mean every single piece on the drum kit or just every instrument?
'cause we could do it with inputs on kick, snare, 2x overhead, 1 Bass direct in, 1 guitar and 3x vocal. That is all we would need, as the synths would be played with midi-controllers directly through the computer.

Do you need preamps to drive the outputs?

Thanks for the gearslutz tip. I'll check it out.

You can just put an overhead mic on the drums. Move it to get optimum coverage. Use your ears.

I Believe you could have have 12 inputs (10 XLR and 2 1/4 for guitar/bass) and 12 outputs. Not bad if you use a Presonus Digimax or Behringer ADA. You would also have 6 stereo outputs. Main outs, Headphone out and then outputs from Adat. You have enough inputs for 4 Drum Mics but you might not need all of them. You would need a headphone amp for ADAT outputs.

Hey! Jumping on board this thread.

I recently picked up a Babyface Pro (love this little guy) and have been wondering the same thing. Ideally I would like to have another two outputs. These outs would function as:

- an additional mix for artists via a headphone amp
- two mono mixes for foldback for live band recording
- stereo output to feed second set of monitors during mixing

How do I make use of the optical out?

Thanks!