Topic: how to route babyface pro for mic input to external effect and back

so, i need a typical routing in totalmix,
for setting up a single xlr in channel (mic1), out to an external compression unit (TRS input/output) and back into the babyface pro.

i've experimented a bit, but have only had the unit a week or so, and just haven't tripped across the correct routing yet.

i think i'm probably hung up on where to properly apply the 'loopback'

thanks in advance.

Re: how to route babyface pro for mic input to external effect and back

maybe this is the wrong forum to ask this question?

i can't imagine that no one does this....

3 (edited by tzzsmk 2016-08-09 08:31:31)

it's a little tricky, so let me explain a little:
you want MIC -> LINEout -> COMP -> LINEin -> MAINOUT
at first make sure to check which output is assigned (button "Assign" in the bottom right, under Dim, Recall etc.) to MAIN in TotalMix - if it's Analog, then you have problem, because you wanna use Analog out for ext. comp., you should assign it to something like Phones, so now main output is linked to Phones and Analog appears as separate fader among outputs
now, every single output fader in TMFX can receive individual mix configuration of whole TMFX, so when you select the Analog output, you can choose whatever you want to be played there, you'll see indication
you want Mic input to play into Analog output ONLY
then you want Analog input (routed from ext. comp.) to play into your Main (Phones output) - if you wanna record it, then you'll obviously record the Analog input
see - you don't need to use loopback this time

HDSPe AIO, ADI-2 DAC, Fireface UFX, Octamic D, Octamic II
Reaper, High Sierra

HI TZZSMK,
thanks for trying to guide me thru this routing process,
but after taking your input,
and trying multiple attempts at several different routing schemes,
i cannot get the proper outputs to either the compressor or into the DAW.

i think i will need a proper step by step to get this figured out!

still looking for some direct input on this question....
nothing i've tried has worked.

still wondering about this question.....

7 (edited by vinark 2016-09-23 18:36:28)

The only thing you are clear about is that you are using mic1 as input. For the rest only ????? Where do you want to connect the compressor and how do you monitor? What do you want to do? Monitor, and how and for who, maybe a singer and do you want to record ? The uncompressed or compressed? Do you understand totalmix 100%? if not watch the videos. Once you get it and that can take some thinking it is very simpel!

Edit: and the babyface is also not 100% suited maybe. With 4 ins (that is enough) and 2 stereo outs, which might be a little tight since one stereo pair is the headphones. So where do you want to patch the compressors input?

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

well, i thought i was crystal clear in the original post, but i'll try again...

assuming mono signal:

microphone into BFP
out of BFP and into DBX compressor
out of DBX compressor and BACK into BFP
out of BFP and into DAW.

\
so what i would like to do is use the RME for the preamp, then route it thru an external compressor to add the color i want, route it back into the rme so i can send the track with or without totalmix effects, back into the DAW for recording.

all of my previous microphone preamps had inserts in them,
so patching in external FX was a snap.

now, not so much....

9 (edited by vinark 2016-09-28 07:33:13)

Now only question remains, is how do you monitor while recording. If headphones, then you use analogue out 1 or 2 as send to dbx. If speakers on output 1-2 or headphones amp, you use the headphones output (3 or 4) as send to the compressor. Return can be any input that is free.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

excellent info,
but i've tried routing output to headphones, or analog outs, neither works.

i need a step by step on how to select the proper faders and set the outputs in totalmix to get signal from xlr1 input directly out of ANY output, into the compressor, back out of the compressor and back into (probably) xlr2 and direct that into the daw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCH3qVaLL-I

well, i watched that vid...

it's almost as if the very things i need to know how to do,
are the things not covered in that vid!!
LOL

i spent 3 hours experimenting this past weekend,
and no matter what i did,
i could never get the hardware inputs to output to any of the analog outs, and show up on the mixer correctly....
i tried routing to xlr outs, to headphone outs, to the analog inputs as 'outs',
zip.

any suggestions?

still looking for a 'step by step' to get this thing going.....

Did you ever find a solution for this?

pablocliche wrote:

Did you ever find a solution for this?

nah, i gave up.

Never figured this out?

I have a similar problem.  I have a channel strip so I don't have the same problem, but I want to take a channel from my DAW and route it through my hardware unit,then back into Ableton.  I have it somewhat working but it seems the whole mix is going through it?  When I turn up the drive on the comp I can hear it working on the synth but it's only supposed to be the kick drum. 

I'm running out the headphone out into the hardware, then back into line in.  I guess my problem is in TMFX with routing just the one signal through the headphone out.. Can anyone help me out here?  I've watched like 4 youtube videos to no avail.

17 (edited by ramses 2017-05-05 11:16:29)

Look into my TM primer.

Then you should be fine making your routings based on "submix mode", which is very easy to understand.

You activate "submix mode" in the upper right of TM.

Then you click to an output channel and create the submix for this selected output channel by raising / lowering faders of Hardware Input and Software playback channels.

Inputs are always passed to the DAW. The mute function is only in effect in regards to the submixes towards the output channels.

The Babyface alone is not well suited for this task as if I were you, then I would keep the analog outs free for main monitors and phones.

You could of course add an AD DA converter to the setup via ADAT, but this raises the total cost of the solution.

Then you are better off to take an UC or even UCX (or even higher) directly from the beginning.

On such an intrface like i.e. UFX II, you would assign analog 1+2 for Main Monitors and 9+10 for phones1 and 11+12 for phones2.

Your Mic input is Analog9.
You connect compressor like this to UFX II:
Input to Analog 3 OUT
Output to Analog 3 IN

1. In Totalmix ensure that Submic mode is enabled in the upper right.

2. Select channel Analog 3 OUT, to create a submix for the output channel that leads to the input of the external compressor: simply raise fader of AN 9 IN where your Mic is connected to.
At this point you should see already a signal coming in to your compressor.

If this is not the case check if you require phantom power for mic and that the input gain for the mic is high enough (hit tool symbol of Mic input to get this additional settings)

3. if your compressor sends a signal to its outputs then you should see a signal coming in on AN 3 IN.

As TM passes all inputs to the DAW you should have now mic input
Dry: in channel AN 9 In on your daw as well
Processed: in channel 3 in on your daw.

Gents, this is so easy with TM if you give it some time to understand only a few basic things how TM works.

Here my primer:

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … teps-DE-E/

Here the really good RME Videos:

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … al-Videos/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I have to add my 2 cents to this because the more I read the forum ( EVERY DAY ) and study over and over again, I can't help but feel there is a shortcoming in manuals and guidebooks. AND THIS IS NOT MEANT TO BE CRITICAL..only an observation.  I admire the skill and experience of the people who take the time to post in the forum and RME as a company.

I do not come from a recording or engineering background.  But as a hobbyist musician, I believe we all have a desire to record our music and manipulate some sounds or even take it as high as becoming professionals. 

I am a long time guitar player who saw bands like Cream (1966 $3.00 ) Johnny Winter (1967 $5.00) Doors (1967 ) Ten Years After (1967) etc.  I was 15.  Doing the math it's been a long fun hobby but I never knew a thing other than the play and record button and to keep the needle out of the red zone on the VU.

To show up here armed with that kind of limited knowledge is very intimidating. Plowing thru all of the materials gets confusing enough and to read so many variables adds to that. 

I've read every post here that deals with the UFX, BabyFace Pro, UFX + and TM FX in addition to the manuals but have not yet had "repeatable" results.  I've not been able to find any step by step method to get from point A to B until I had read the link posted by Ramses above. By the way...Thank you for the English version!

As a 13 year user of my DAW software, the most common advice in their forum back then was RTFM.  That was always real helpful.  Thankfully things there have changed and it is not that way here at all but the concept of beginner seems to escape the manuals and some users.

After reading that "this is so easy" makes me want to bang my head against the wall knowing the time and efforts that I've put into it with so little forward movement.  I know it is me....but I know by the questions I read there are others as well...Just MAYBE I'm making it much harder than it really is but that "light bulb" moment has eluded me.

However, I am still loving the hell out of it all...I can record like crazy once I find a setting but have no idea why it is working.

Once again, not looking to stir the aire of conflict and argument...it just my experiences and I'd really love to change it...  ok , I'm hitting the submit button (yikes)

Babyface Pro, UFX+ via Thunderbolt, Win 10, Cubase 9.5 Pro, Asus Z270 i7700k Guitarist-1961

Could you please put some concrete examples of areas where you need more guidance ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hey Ramses,

I only have trouble understanding the routing procedures and getting repeatable results.  Reasonably sure it's a lack of logical understanding of how it all really works as an input device.  Believe me, your blog is an excellent step by step guide and I refer to it frequently.

I am getting results.... but when I read a reply to some questions, I would love to know why those solutions work but some are too abbreviated for my level of knowledge.  AND, my comment is a generalization.

As you know, some guides are written to demonstrate the performance of a device.  An example might be the Roland GR-33 and 55.  Set this up, do that, turn this dial to 6 and it will sound this way. Even your own block diagram was very easy to follow.  Likely it's just a teaching style that works with my brain.  Thank you for the offer.  I have come a long way since February and I am not shy.  When a question pops up...I'll ask. My next adventure Sends and Returns and getting them set properly.

Babyface Pro, UFX+ via Thunderbolt, Win 10, Cubase 9.5 Pro, Asus Z270 i7700k Guitarist-1961

21 (edited by ramses 2017-05-07 07:44:28)

There are only some simple basics to know.

Do you have maybe problems to see the full picture ?

Lets start with the input signals for a test:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fy50nfff7k0g9an/TotalMix%20Diagram%20-%20Inputs.jpg?dl=1

I made some thoughts about this .. I found out that at the end everything is explained in the Mixer Block Diagram of TotalMix FX which is part of every Handbook.

What I did now is to make some additional comments that come back to the point, that you need to know only a few TotalMix FX basic things ....
- HW inputs always are passed to the Audio Application
- Mutes of HW inputs and SW Playbacks have only effect for HW Outputs
- Audio Application Output (ASIO / WDM) is routable via SW Plackback channels
- Every TM FX HW Output "is" or "can be" a submix of its own
See at the end of this posting ....

In terms of routing / submixes always start to think from the output, what HW Inputs and Playbacks I want to have here ....

And then all is really very simple ...

You want a HW compressor ... lets assume simply mono for demonstration purposes.

Enter TM FX Submix mode.
Click to the HW Output which connects to the compressors input.
Create a submix for this Output (from either HW input or Audio Application (SW Playback))
You have connected the Output of the HW Compressor to one of the Analog Inputs.
There you get the compressed Signal in.
This HW Input is, according to the diagram, directly available in your DAW.

You want a special headphone mix to hear what is being sent by the compressor ?
- click to phones1 (assuming you assigned already phones outputs as "phones1"
- create a submix for phones1 by raising the HW Input fader where the Output of HW compressor is connected to
Now you have a submix to hear what the compressor delivers.

Use snapshots to store these different submixes, whether you want to hear from Cubase or from the compressor.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8rhuy9avitdz7ao/RME%20UFX%2B%20TotalMix%20FX%20-%20Block%20Diagram%20with%20comments.jpg?dl=1

23 (edited by ramses 2017-05-07 14:16:53)

Am currently updating my TM FX primer, with more advanced routing and two diagrams for illustration .. stay tuned .

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … teps-DE-E/

Its ready now for "mental digestion", have fun wink

24 (edited by knuckle47 2017-05-07 18:57:33)

Thank you thank you....this is so very much appreciated.  You should write a supplement to the manual and sell it online.  There are several like that for Cubase that do a more outlined job it getting to the core...  smile   

Very grateful

By the way...to give an example: I wanted to monitor playback of a track using headphones while recording another...initially, no matter what I tried...nothing

About 20 minutes later...perfect.  How it worked...no idea.

Setting up speaker A/speaker B...simple no problem

Both pretty basic tasks I'd think yet one was quite confusing until about 25-30 mouse clicks

Many thanks and enjoy :-)