Topic: Documentation errors in Fireface UC manual

Hi,
I just bought RME Fireface UC thinking it has TotalMix FX included. For a new customer, it was not very clear to me that RME interfaces could have TotalMix or TotalMix FX...
If you look at http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products_features_table.php - the page is up-to-date, it contains all products but Fireface UCX. That would have helped me maybe to spot the difference between TotalMix and TotalMix FX.
Furthermore, the pdf manual for RME Fireface UC has so many copy/paste from other manuals making you think UC comes with TotalMix FX:
page 3: 'TotalMix FX' chapter...
page 61: print screen showing EQ and Dynamics features being available...
Imagine my disappointment after travelling frm Brussels to Koln (and back) when I see my new interface doesn't have EQ, Dynamics, Echo and Reverb...
So today, I am going back to Koln to return the product...

So this post is primarily for new customers and secondly for RME support - please update the documentation and make clear explanation of the features. For you everything is clear, but for new comers a product comparison feature would be nice.

Thanks in advance,

George / Brussels / 2019.08.26

Re: Documentation errors in Fireface UC manual

After a major product overhaul TotalMix has been renamed to TotalMix FX a couple of years ago. It's simply the name of the software mixer.

Only these products have a full implementation of FX chip on board: UCX,  802, UFX II, UFX+, HDSPe MADI FX.

BBFP has a partial implementation on board, rest being done by the driver on the computer.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi,
I totally agree with but the point is that the official published documentation on your official website is wrong - it has misleading info. It's true that Fireface UC is a very old interface but is still available in stores. I already have a UFX+, I knew what TotalMix FX does and I bought the UC thinking the documentation is ok. Please check for yourself page 3 of this doc:
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/fface_uc_e.pdf

No need to reply. This thread was for you to improve the documentation. Whatever you decide is fine by me.

Thank you,

George

4 (edited by ramses 2019-08-28 16:37:35)

Hi George. Sorry, I am not getting your point. What's wrong on page 3 of UC manual? It's the table of content and among other topics about TM FX.
All RME Interfaces got the new "TM FX" mixersoftware back to those devicey from around 2001 (and by this btw also support for the new ARC USB).
But not all interfaces have a FX chip on board.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

costache.george wrote:

Furthermore, the pdf manual for RME Fireface UC has so many copy/paste from other manuals making you think UC comes with TotalMix FX:
page 3: 'TotalMix FX' chapter...
page 61: print screen showing EQ and Dynamics features being available...

Indeed this is TotalMixFX, which is new in design and in routing features (e.g. the control room section).

But to conclude from one small screenshot, which is from a random device, that a feature set must be available that is not mentioned anywhere else in the manual, nor on the product website, really does stretch things a bit in terms of expectations.
Which error seems more likely, a screenshot showing effects buttons or an entire available feature set being totally omitted in the manual? I think this question is very easy to answer.

If you've found more manual pages that refer to effects, though, do let me know.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME