Topic: Can I sync My babyface Pro and Fireface UFX

Hello,

I'm trying to work out if I can run my fireface UFX (master) and Babyface Pro (slave) via ADAT? I've tried it but the Babyface doesn't seem to recognise the ADAT coming from the UFX. I have powered the Babyface via a USB hub that is power only.
Id like to achieve 16 inputs if possible.

Late 2013 Macbook Pro
MACOS 10.13.6
Latest drivers for both the Babyface and UFX
Ableton and Protools

I haven't been able to find an explanation that makes sense to me.

Re: Can I sync My babyface Pro and Fireface UFX

Did you
- select clock source "optical" on the BBFP ?
- plug a TOSLINK cable from UFX ADAT OUT to BBFP ADAT IN ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Yes to both your questions. The BFP allows me to select optical in but it states that the current clock is internal. The green opt light on the BFP does not flash. I am able to test the cable via a Behringer ultra gain. It will syn to that just fine and the ultra channels show up in the BFP total mix window.

Using ADAT 2 I am able to get sync with UFX (slave) however the channels do not show in the BFP total mix window like the ultra gain.

I was hoping that by syncing the Babyface to the UFX that its four extra channels would show in the UFX Total Mix Window allowing me to monitor all channels through The outputs of the UFX. Is that even possible? 

I appreciate your time,

Hugh

Is the BBFP still plugged to USB ? Can you pls try standalone mode ? Thanks.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Yes. I confirmed the settings on the computer and then plugged the usb cable into a power only outlet. I am not useing the power input as I don’t have the appropriate cable. The BFP powers on fine and is receiving signal the the mic inputs.

hfasher wrote:

The BFP allows me to select optical in but it states that the current clock is internal.

Unclear statement. Is the UFX clock master (Internal) in your setup? Then the BF Pro must be set to Optical In as clock source.

hfasher wrote:

Using ADAT 2 I am able to get sync with UFX (slave) however the channels do not show in the BFP total mix window like the ultra gain.

Using ADAT 1 you would also get Sync. Using ADAT 2: are you sending out something on those channels in TM FX of the UFX? And is ADAT2 set to AES/SPDIF? Then no signal there...

hfasher wrote:

I was hoping that by syncing the Babyface to the UFX that its four extra channels would show in the UFX Total Mix Window allowing me to monitor all channels through The outputs of the UFX. Is that even possible?

Now you are talking about the 4 Babyface Pro inputs? You need to use the BF Pro TM FX and route its inputs to the BF Pro ADAT output, plug this into the UFX and the signals will be seen there. IF the clock situation is correct.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Dear Ramses and HC,

I've got it. I started from scratch and went through step by step. Thank you for your input. I have learned more new things.

Ramses: I am sorry to say that I had a faulty cable. I had too much spaghetti going on and I think I must have managed to test the same cable twice. When I started from scratch I found it and replaced it.

MC: Thank you for the final step that mentioned routing the Babyface pro to the UFX outputs. This step wasn't needed with the Behringer ultragain for obvious reasons. It would have taken me a long time to work out on my own.

If I could send you a beer or two I would.

Thanks for the support.

Cool and enjoy your new environment :-)