1 (edited by BodieDoyle 2020-09-17 13:05:15)

Topic: UFX USB & Firewire Issues

I have two separate issues with my UFX, in order:

1. USB - I had a powercut this week, since that powercut the UFX will no longer connect to my Dell XPS via USB. I've tried different USB ports on the Dell (which I know to work as I connect other peripherals to it), and I've tried different USB cables (which I know to work as I use them to connect other peripherals). So, I'm guessing the USB port has had it; I'm in the UK, so, does the UFX need a trip back to Germany, can it be fixed, how long does it take and what's the rough cost. In addition to this, are there any tests I can perform on the unit to pinpoint that this is the issue?

2. Firewire - pursuant to the USB issue, I connected the UFX to my Dell XPS via Firewire and that works fine. I use an FW400 to FW800 cable, an Apple FW to Thunderbolt 2 adapter, an Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter into the Thunderbolt 3 port of my Dell. This works fine, no issues. However, if I connect the UFX, via this cable setup, to the Thunderbolt 3 port on my Dell TB16, which in turn is connected to the XPS via Thunderbolt 3, the Dell can't "see" the UFX and therefore won't connect. Could be an issue with the TB16, but I thought I'd ask if there's something I need to do on the UFX to connect via this fashion. I'd rather go via the TB16 as that's powering the XPS, as well as controlling various other devices connected to it.

Thanks in advance!

Edit - I should add, I'm not averse to getting an OCW Thunderbolt 14 or Caldigit TS3 to replace the TB16, if the TB16 is the issue with not wanting to connect to FW, but I wanted to make sure that the UFX can connect to a Thunderbolt dock, then to the XPS before I go down this route.

Re: UFX USB & Firewire Issues

1. Makes no sense to ask this in a forum. Get in touch with Synthax UK, they can give answers and details.

2. The Apple TB adapter only works with newer Dell laptops with third generation TB inside (like my 7590). For older ones (like my 9550) you need the StarTech adapter instead.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

1. Makes no sense to ask this in a forum. Get in touch with Synthax UK, they can give answers and details.

I did contact Synthax, they weren't able to give any answers to the question(s) I posted, other than to say contact RME directly in Germany. The idea of taking my UFX out of the studio, to send it back to Germany on the basis it "might" be repairable, but not knowing how long it'd take or what the cost would be is ludicrious, hence asking for indications on here first.

If I contact RME directly, and I'm treated with the same short shrift, then perhaps it's time to look at other manufacturers.

MC wrote:

The Apple TB adapter only works with newer Dell laptops with third generation TB inside (like my 7590). For older ones (like my 9550) you need the StarTech adapter instead.

My Dell is the latest XPS i9, and the UFX connects fine to it when I go directly into via the TB3 port on the XPS. The issue is that it won't connect if I go via the TB16 (which in turn is connected to the XPS).

It's practically impossible to diagnose this from a distance, sorry.... And this forum really is not a place where we can discuss turnaround or prices.... Feel free to send me an email, but if the damage is unclear, I won't be able to provide specifics....

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

BodieDoyle wrote:
MC wrote:

The Apple TB adapter only works with newer Dell laptops with third generation TB inside (like my 7590). For older ones (like my 9550) you need the StarTech adapter instead.

My Dell is the latest XPS i9, and the UFX connects fine to it when I go directly into via the TB3 port on the XPS. The issue is that it won't connect if I go via the TB16 (which in turn is connected to the XPS).

The TB 16 is outdated Thunderbolt - and (as Dell's first TB dock) full of issues:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/TB16 … -p/7398606

If you have the latest laptop it should be used with a matching dock. I use three WD19TB and they work with the Apple adapters to provide FireWire.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME