651 (edited by gmarinov 2024-05-19 23:42:11)

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

naturligasteg wrote:

I am running my 802 on my mac Studio using firmware 20 and driver 2.09 without issued now. [...]  Should I upgrade the firmware and keep using Kernel driver or should I just keep thing as they are?

if it ain't broken, don't fix it. moreover, DK doesn't fix it. my M2 Mac here refuses to treat my UCX as time-critical when using the DK driver. RME and Apple appear to be in some weird standoff, and at the moment everybody's losing.

Fireface UCX, Mac Studio M2 max, macOS Sonoma

naturligasteg wrote:

I popped in here and discovered that there is now a driverkit. I am running my 802 on my mac Studio using firmware 20 and driver 2.09 without issued now. If I understand correctly updating to latest version will give me Driverkit which is less performance. Should I upgrade the firmware and keep using Kernel driver or should I just keep thing as they are? BTW, I am considering to add a Digiface USB to my setup with Aggregate Device. Will that work well? If I do expand, should I install Kernel or Driver kit for both the FF802 and Digiface?

This whole thing is a moving target. It seems that in latest Sonoma updates Apple improved the DK performance a lot. We are currently trying to verify this. It would explain why the number of complaints on DK performance issues have nearly completely vanished.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

gmarinov wrote:
naturligasteg wrote:

I am running my 802 on my mac Studio using firmware 20 and driver 2.09 without issued now. [...]  Should I upgrade the firmware and keep using Kernel driver or should I just keep thing as they are?

if it ain't broken, don't fix it. moreover, DK doesn't fix it. my M2 Mac here refuses to treat my UCX as a time-critical component when using the DK driver. RME and Apple appear to be in some weird standoff, and at the moment everybody's losing.

In general I try to keep my gear updated cause there are usually improovements, but as it has been with RME and Apple in the last years I am also leaning more into the "don't touch it camp". I saw there is room EQ now, but that is not for Fireface 802 plain, right?

MC wrote:
naturligasteg wrote:

I popped in here and discovered that there is now a driverkit. I am running my 802 on my mac Studio using firmware 20 and driver 2.09 without issued now. If I understand correctly updating to latest version will give me Driverkit which is less performance. Should I upgrade the firmware and keep using Kernel driver or should I just keep thing as they are? BTW, I am considering to add a Digiface USB to my setup with Aggregate Device. Will that work well? If I do expand, should I install Kernel or Driver kit for both the FF802 and Digiface?

This whole thing is a moving target. It seems that in latest Sonoma updates Apple improved the DK performance a lot. We are currently trying to verify this. It would explain why the number of complaints on DK performance issues have nearly completely vanished.

M3 Pro + UFX+ / TB connection , 196 Khz at 2 ms, and no problems. Unbelievable, no interference, nothing, only WAV recordings after more than 1 minute are delayed in FL Studio. But that's only during recording, not otherwise.
Under Windows and USB, I don't even need to start with 192 Khz o)))

655 (edited by Steffen 2024-06-01 13:06:22)

Hi all, new forum member here. I signed up because I have a DigiFace USB on order. Researching which driver and software to install I found this thread.

I read all 14 pages of it, but am still unsure about a few things:

1. Should I use the v3 or v4 (DK) driver?
2. I tried installing both, and get the FireFace USB Settings app starting right at the end of the installation, but after the required reboot it won’t start anymore (dies within a second, without any messages). Same with the RME USB Series Flash Tool. The TotalMix app starts up fine.
3. Is there a way of verifying the correct driver installation, before having the hardware in hand?

I’m not familiar with RME gear and a complete noob when it comes to mixing and studio gear. I bought the DigiFace USB to bring a bunch of DACs into sync for my Dirac Live Bass Control setup. It seems that macOS is not doing a good job managing the delays between them when connecting them via USB and using them as aggregate device. I’m hoping that using a DigiFace as multi-channel USB output device and connecting the DACs to it via Toslink will solve this issue.

I’m using a Mac mini M1 with Sonoma 14.5, BTW.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

656 (edited by waedi 2024-06-01 15:01:26)

The FUT can't work without the hardware connected to the computer, same for the Fireface Settings, Totalmix starts in "Disconnected-mode".
You have to connect the unit to the computer to find out if the driver is working.
For your computer I recommend the DK 410 driver.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

657 (edited by Steffen 2024-06-02 02:08:19)

Thanks, that’s the driver I have installed right now. I guess I’ll wait until the device arrives. I may be back with more questions then 

Soon to be new UFX III owner (will be delivered in a few days) with Mac Studio M2Ultra and Apollo X8. I plan to use the UFX as the audio device and use the Apollo as an external FX/mic pre via ADAT. Eventide H9000R will be eventually connected via MADI once I get my hands on the MADI expansion card from Eventide.

I'm running Sonoma 14.4.1 currently and plan to start with the latest DriverKit driver with the UFX connected directly to one of the Mac Studio's TB/USB4 ports. I will also try one of the USB3 ports on my Caldigit Element TB4 hub just for another data point.

Hopefully I don't run into the issues several here have had.

waedi wrote:

The FUT can't work without the hardware connected to the computer, same for the Fireface Settings, Totalmix starts in "Disconnected-mode".
You have to connect the unit to the computer to find out if the driver is working.
For your computer I recommend the DK 410 driver.

Thanks, the v4.10 driver is working fine, now that the device is connected.

660 (edited by khollister 2024-06-08 23:17:12)

So got the new UFX III connected and seems to be trouble free on M2Ultra w 14.4.1 and the driver kit driver. Compared the headphone output with my Sennheiser HD650 and it is MUCH better than the Apollo X8 headphone out - the X8 sounds thick & opaque in comparison. Comparing the monitor outs is difficult since the RME is XLR and the Apollo is TRS.

Very happy!

UPDATE:  Spoke too soon, having occasional (every couple minutes of playing a piano in Cubase) clicks and pops with no CPU/ASIO overload indicated. Switched to the kernel extension driver, 3.31 and seems to be running perfectly after several minutes of playback in Cubase.

Looks like the driverkit driver still needs some work.

Mac OS 14.4.1, M2Ultra Mac Studio, USB3 using provided USB-C cable plugged into one of the rear TB/USB4 ports on the Mac Studio.

I have a fireface 802 that I've been using for a few years and I recently switched to a Macbook Pro M3 Pro. Everything worked fine, but for some time now, it's no longer recognized in Ableton, nor on the Mac. It recognizes because I see it in Update Flash, which I've done, but totalmix doesn't open, if the usb settings. I'm afraid this is due to the new Apple update. I wanted to know if you had any information on this. I have a Fireface UC that doesn't work either. I tried with another mac, which is also in the same version ( Sonoma 14.4.1 ) and it doesn't work either. I did everything I was asked to do on the Kernel etc. It worked well but since 2 weeks... No

bstlefort1 wrote:

I have a fireface 802 that I've been using for a few years and I recently switched to a Macbook Pro M3 Pro. Everything worked fine, but for some time now, it's no longer recognized in Ableton, nor on the Mac. It recognizes because I see it in Update Flash, which I've done, but totalmix doesn't open, if the usb settings. I'm afraid this is due to the new Apple update. I wanted to know if you had any information on this. I have a Fireface UC that doesn't work either. I tried with another mac, which is also in the same version ( Sonoma 14.4.1 ) and it doesn't work either. I did everything I was asked to do on the Kernel etc. It worked well but since 2 weeks... No

I don’t exactly understand: did the two units ever work on your new MacBook?

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Beside of oli77sch's question...

...if the usb settings

what do you mean? Typo?

I'm afraid this is due to the new Apple update

Please define "new" more detailed. Which MacOS version was installed before? (when your unit(s) worked well)?

I tried with another mac, which is also in the same version ( Sonoma 14.4.1 )

Sonoma 14.5 ist the current version, anyhow, both your macs run on 14.4.1 atm?

And the most important questions:
- Firmware on both units up to date?
- Which kind of drivers (i assume, the latest versions) did you try to install? Kernel Extension drivers or Driverkit Drivers?

“Do It For Her”
My Gear: Bontempi Magic light Keyboard

664 (edited by gmarinov 2024-06-14 14:26:48)

khollister wrote:

UPDATE:  Spoke too soon, having occasional (every couple minutes of playing a piano in Cubase) clicks and pops with no CPU/ASIO overload indicated. Switched to the kernel extension driver, 3.31 and seems to be running perfectly after several minutes of playback in Cubase.

Thank you for posting this. It pains me to read yet another report of DK driver not working as expected. This Apple/RME standoff is so unproductive. Best we can hope for is macOS 15 fixes something in the DK architecture, cuz RME seems to be happy with just a video that steers us towards installing FW drivers (edit: I mean Kext drivers).

665 (edited by waedi 2024-06-13 18:06:51)

How many customers do not report anything because they have no issue at all ? 99.99% ?
Those may say : Please don't change anything in the driver, it works perfectly fine !

Also please provide a link to that video "...steers us towards installing FW drivers", no clue what video that is.

bstlefort1 wrote:

I have 14.5 and there were also problems.
I added the DAW apps to "Input monitoring" and from then on it worked. Midi no longer worked for me.  Yesterday, when I was working with the DAW, the OS reported my iPhone as a micro in the DAW. o)))
I don't know if it was WLan or Bluetooth, it came all by itself, Apple seems to be making big changes.

kd wrote:
bstlefort1 wrote:

I have 14.5 and there were also problems.
I added the DAW apps to "Input monitoring" and from then on it worked. Midi no longer worked for me.  Yesterday, when I was working with the DAW, the OS reported my iPhone as a micro in the DAW. o)))
I don't know if it was WLan or Bluetooth, it came all by itself, Apple seems to be making big changes.

Yes, true, Mac and iPhone see each other over bluetooth and the Mac allows for using the iPhone mic to record directly into the DAW, wich is great for bloggers, the pop-up window offers to use or not-use.
Apple is indeed working on the audio system and the bluetooth-system-driver is getting faster with every update.
Mixing a song with bluetooth headphone works fine today.

waedi wrote:

How many customers do not report anything because they have no issue at all ? 99.99% ?
Those may say : Please don't change anything in the driver, it works perfectly fine !

Also please provide a link to that video "...steers us towards installing FW drivers", no clue what video that is.

https://rme-audio.de/driverkit-vs-kernel-extension.html

I'll ignore this 99.99% suggestion and am not even going to spend time defending what I wrote. You and I both know it's true, and so do the engineers who wrote the code that reports buffer errors on a clean macOS on a current Apple product. It's not a "moving target", it's a very clear stationary target: the DK client needs low latency high throughput access with realtime/isochronous priority. The current user space arrangement isn't that. If FW was still an option, I'd go as far as to say USB isn't that either.

The video clearly shows the two options and you can choose either, there is no steering towards one option nor is there a Firewire driver. You are the expert, good luck in writing a better driver.

The differences between dk and kexts have been discussed multiple times in this forum, in the apple developer forums and described by apple itself in several documents and developer guides.

What is your constructive addition here, gmarinov? What are your new insights that could help someone?

It seems that some users are more interested in venting their frustrations than in describing problems in detail. Instead of trying to get a real solution.

“Do It For Her”
My Gear: Bontempi Magic light Keyboard

waedi wrote:

The video clearly shows the two options and you can choose either, there is no steering towards one option nor is there a Firewire driver. You are the expert, good luck in writing a better driver.

i meant to write Kext