651 (edited by gmarinov 2024-05-19 23:42:11)

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

naturligasteg wrote:

I am running my 802 on my mac Studio using firmware 20 and driver 2.09 without issued now. [...]  Should I upgrade the firmware and keep using Kernel driver or should I just keep thing as they are?

if it ain't broken, don't fix it. moreover, DK doesn't fix it. my M2 Mac here refuses to treat my UCX as time-critical when using the DK driver. RME and Apple appear to be in some weird standoff, and at the moment everybody's losing.

Fireface UCX, Focusrite OctoPre, Sound Devices MixPre-D, Mac Studio M2 max, macOS Sonoma

naturligasteg wrote:

I popped in here and discovered that there is now a driverkit. I am running my 802 on my mac Studio using firmware 20 and driver 2.09 without issued now. If I understand correctly updating to latest version will give me Driverkit which is less performance. Should I upgrade the firmware and keep using Kernel driver or should I just keep thing as they are? BTW, I am considering to add a Digiface USB to my setup with Aggregate Device. Will that work well? If I do expand, should I install Kernel or Driver kit for both the FF802 and Digiface?

This whole thing is a moving target. It seems that in latest Sonoma updates Apple improved the DK performance a lot. We are currently trying to verify this. It would explain why the number of complaints on DK performance issues have nearly completely vanished.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

gmarinov wrote:
naturligasteg wrote:

I am running my 802 on my mac Studio using firmware 20 and driver 2.09 without issued now. [...]  Should I upgrade the firmware and keep using Kernel driver or should I just keep thing as they are?

if it ain't broken, don't fix it. moreover, DK doesn't fix it. my M2 Mac here refuses to treat my UCX as a time-critical component when using the DK driver. RME and Apple appear to be in some weird standoff, and at the moment everybody's losing.

In general I try to keep my gear updated cause there are usually improovements, but as it has been with RME and Apple in the last years I am also leaning more into the "don't touch it camp". I saw there is room EQ now, but that is not for Fireface 802 plain, right?

MC wrote:
naturligasteg wrote:

I popped in here and discovered that there is now a driverkit. I am running my 802 on my mac Studio using firmware 20 and driver 2.09 without issued now. If I understand correctly updating to latest version will give me Driverkit which is less performance. Should I upgrade the firmware and keep using Kernel driver or should I just keep thing as they are? BTW, I am considering to add a Digiface USB to my setup with Aggregate Device. Will that work well? If I do expand, should I install Kernel or Driver kit for both the FF802 and Digiface?

This whole thing is a moving target. It seems that in latest Sonoma updates Apple improved the DK performance a lot. We are currently trying to verify this. It would explain why the number of complaints on DK performance issues have nearly completely vanished.

M3 Pro + UFX+ / TB connection , 196 Khz at 2 ms, and no problems. Unbelievable, no interference, nothing, only WAV recordings after more than 1 minute are delayed in FL Studio. But that's only during recording, not otherwise.
Under Windows and USB, I don't even need to start with 192 Khz o)))

655 (edited by Steffen 2024-06-01 13:06:22)

Hi all, new forum member here. I signed up because I have a DigiFace USB on order. Researching which driver and software to install I found this thread.

I read all 14 pages of it, but am still unsure about a few things:

1. Should I use the v3 or v4 (DK) driver?
2. I tried installing both, and get the FireFace USB Settings app starting right at the end of the installation, but after the required reboot it won’t start anymore (dies within a second, without any messages). Same with the RME USB Series Flash Tool. The TotalMix app starts up fine.
3. Is there a way of verifying the correct driver installation, before having the hardware in hand?

I’m not familiar with RME gear and a complete noob when it comes to mixing and studio gear. I bought the DigiFace USB to bring a bunch of DACs into sync for my Dirac Live Bass Control setup. It seems that macOS is not doing a good job managing the delays between them when connecting them via USB and using them as aggregate device. I’m hoping that using a DigiFace as multi-channel USB output device and connecting the DACs to it via Toslink will solve this issue.

I’m using a Mac mini M1 with Sonoma 14.5, BTW.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

656 (edited by waedi 2024-06-01 15:01:26)

The FUT can't work without the hardware connected to the computer, same for the Fireface Settings, Totalmix starts in "Disconnected-mode".
You have to connect the unit to the computer to find out if the driver is working.
For your computer I recommend the DK 410 driver.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

657 (edited by Steffen 2024-06-02 02:08:19)

Thanks, that’s the driver I have installed right now. I guess I’ll wait until the device arrives. I may be back with more questions then 

Soon to be new UFX III owner (will be delivered in a few days) with Mac Studio M2Ultra and Apollo X8. I plan to use the UFX as the audio device and use the Apollo as an external FX/mic pre via ADAT. Eventide H9000R will be eventually connected via MADI once I get my hands on the MADI expansion card from Eventide.

I'm running Sonoma 14.4.1 currently and plan to start with the latest DriverKit driver with the UFX connected directly to one of the Mac Studio's TB/USB4 ports. I will also try one of the USB3 ports on my Caldigit Element TB4 hub just for another data point.

Hopefully I don't run into the issues several here have had.

waedi wrote:

The FUT can't work without the hardware connected to the computer, same for the Fireface Settings, Totalmix starts in "Disconnected-mode".
You have to connect the unit to the computer to find out if the driver is working.
For your computer I recommend the DK 410 driver.

Thanks, the v4.10 driver is working fine, now that the device is connected.

660 (edited by khollister 2024-06-08 23:17:12)

So got the new UFX III connected and seems to be trouble free on M2Ultra w 14.4.1 and the driver kit driver. Compared the headphone output with my Sennheiser HD650 and it is MUCH better than the Apollo X8 headphone out - the X8 sounds thick & opaque in comparison. Comparing the monitor outs is difficult since the RME is XLR and the Apollo is TRS.

Very happy!

UPDATE:  Spoke too soon, having occasional (every couple minutes of playing a piano in Cubase) clicks and pops with no CPU/ASIO overload indicated. Switched to the kernel extension driver, 3.31 and seems to be running perfectly after several minutes of playback in Cubase.

Looks like the driverkit driver still needs some work.

Mac OS 14.4.1, M2Ultra Mac Studio, USB3 using provided USB-C cable plugged into one of the rear TB/USB4 ports on the Mac Studio.

I have a fireface 802 that I've been using for a few years and I recently switched to a Macbook Pro M3 Pro. Everything worked fine, but for some time now, it's no longer recognized in Ableton, nor on the Mac. It recognizes because I see it in Update Flash, which I've done, but totalmix doesn't open, if the usb settings. I'm afraid this is due to the new Apple update. I wanted to know if you had any information on this. I have a Fireface UC that doesn't work either. I tried with another mac, which is also in the same version ( Sonoma 14.4.1 ) and it doesn't work either. I did everything I was asked to do on the Kernel etc. It worked well but since 2 weeks... No

bstlefort1 wrote:

I have a fireface 802 that I've been using for a few years and I recently switched to a Macbook Pro M3 Pro. Everything worked fine, but for some time now, it's no longer recognized in Ableton, nor on the Mac. It recognizes because I see it in Update Flash, which I've done, but totalmix doesn't open, if the usb settings. I'm afraid this is due to the new Apple update. I wanted to know if you had any information on this. I have a Fireface UC that doesn't work either. I tried with another mac, which is also in the same version ( Sonoma 14.4.1 ) and it doesn't work either. I did everything I was asked to do on the Kernel etc. It worked well but since 2 weeks... No

I don’t exactly understand: did the two units ever work on your new MacBook?

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Beside of oli77sch's question...

...if the usb settings

what do you mean? Typo?

I'm afraid this is due to the new Apple update

Please define "new" more detailed. Which MacOS version was installed before? (when your unit(s) worked well)?

I tried with another mac, which is also in the same version ( Sonoma 14.4.1 )

Sonoma 14.5 ist the current version, anyhow, both your macs run on 14.4.1 atm?

And the most important questions:
- Firmware on both units up to date?
- Which kind of drivers (i assume, the latest versions) did you try to install? Kernel Extension drivers or Driverkit Drivers?

“Do It For Her”
My Gear: Bontempi Magic light Keyboard

664 (edited by gmarinov 2024-06-14 14:26:48)

khollister wrote:

UPDATE:  Spoke too soon, having occasional (every couple minutes of playing a piano in Cubase) clicks and pops with no CPU/ASIO overload indicated. Switched to the kernel extension driver, 3.31 and seems to be running perfectly after several minutes of playback in Cubase.

Thank you for posting this. It pains me to read yet another report of DK driver not working as expected. This Apple/RME standoff is so unproductive. Best we can hope for is macOS 15 fixes something in the DK architecture, cuz RME seems to be happy with just a video that steers us towards installing FW drivers (edit: I mean Kext drivers).

Fireface UCX, Focusrite OctoPre, Sound Devices MixPre-D, Mac Studio M2 max, macOS Sonoma

665 (edited by waedi 2024-06-13 18:06:51)

How many customers do not report anything because they have no issue at all ? 99.99% ?
Those may say : Please don't change anything in the driver, it works perfectly fine !

Also please provide a link to that video "...steers us towards installing FW drivers", no clue what video that is.

bstlefort1 wrote:

I have 14.5 and there were also problems.
I added the DAW apps to "Input monitoring" and from then on it worked. Midi no longer worked for me.  Yesterday, when I was working with the DAW, the OS reported my iPhone as a micro in the DAW. o)))
I don't know if it was WLan or Bluetooth, it came all by itself, Apple seems to be making big changes.

kd wrote:
bstlefort1 wrote:

I have 14.5 and there were also problems.
I added the DAW apps to "Input monitoring" and from then on it worked. Midi no longer worked for me.  Yesterday, when I was working with the DAW, the OS reported my iPhone as a micro in the DAW. o)))
I don't know if it was WLan or Bluetooth, it came all by itself, Apple seems to be making big changes.

Yes, true, Mac and iPhone see each other over bluetooth and the Mac allows for using the iPhone mic to record directly into the DAW, wich is great for bloggers, the pop-up window offers to use or not-use.
Apple is indeed working on the audio system and the bluetooth-system-driver is getting faster with every update.
Mixing a song with bluetooth headphone works fine today.

waedi wrote:

How many customers do not report anything because they have no issue at all ? 99.99% ?
Those may say : Please don't change anything in the driver, it works perfectly fine !

Also please provide a link to that video "...steers us towards installing FW drivers", no clue what video that is.

https://rme-audio.de/driverkit-vs-kernel-extension.html

I'll ignore this 99.99% suggestion and am not even going to spend time defending what I wrote. You and I both know it's true, and so do the engineers who wrote the code that reports buffer errors on a clean macOS on a current Apple product. It's not a "moving target", it's a very clear stationary target: the DK client needs low latency high throughput access with realtime/isochronous priority. The current user space arrangement isn't that. If FW was still an option, I'd go as far as to say USB isn't that either.

The video clearly shows the two options and you can choose either, there is no steering towards one option nor is there a Firewire driver. You are the expert, good luck in writing a better driver.

The differences between dk and kexts have been discussed multiple times in this forum, in the apple developer forums and described by apple itself in several documents and developer guides.

What is your constructive addition here, gmarinov? What are your new insights that could help someone?

It seems that some users are more interested in venting their frustrations than in describing problems in detail. Instead of trying to get a real solution.

“Do It For Her”

waedi wrote:

The video clearly shows the two options and you can choose either, there is no steering towards one option nor is there a Firewire driver. You are the expert, good luck in writing a better driver.

i meant to write Kext

There are issues with several apps that do not work with the DK driver, but do with the KE driver. Plus there are apps that in general have issues with 'soundcards' that have more than 8 channels....

To tackle this we gave DK driver 4.12 a new option: Channel Limit.

https://www.archiv.rme-audio.de/images/channel_limit.png

From the readme:
- New option Channel Limit. Default: Off. Allows the number of Rec/Play channels to be limited to 8, 16 or 32 channels in order to avoid incompatibilities with various apps. Attention: changing the channel count on the fly is not supported by most apps! Quit the audio application before making changes and then restart it.

We successfully tested the effect on Apple's own Facetime and the popular Zoom app (but Zoom just got an update which fixed the multichannel issue with the DK driver - thumbs up!).

While our driver issues a reset when changing the channel count on the fly, our experience is that most apps completely ignore this reset request. They should stop, flush and build new buffers and take over the channel count. With such apps you  notice playback/record will change speed to half or double etc. Stop / Start usually does not help, the audio interface must be restarted which for many apps means either app restart, or change to a different interface (internal speakers...) and back - then everything works again as it should.

Our own DigiCheck NG performs the reset and thus continues to show correct analysis, but misses the changed channel count, for example in the Global Level Meter. We will update it accordingly.

Please try 4.12 and tell us how it worked for you. TotalMix 1.95 is included as well.

Download:
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/driv … ac_412.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Already tested on current Sequoia Beta (24A5279h).
Legacy FF802.

First quick-test impression:
RTL, AMS change the Channels on the fly.
Logic, needs a device switch to another and back (as you mentioned).

-> Works flawlessly!

Could it be possible that the DK performance seems to be better now in general?
Just my impression after some quick tests, but could also rely on other factors (like sequoia, etc)

Thanks! Especially you did not "forget" the legacy Units smile

“Do It For Her”

Excellent.

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

675 (edited by hselters 2024-06-28 13:11:27)

MC wrote:

We successfully tested the effect on Apple's own Facetime and the popular Zoom app (but Zoom just got an update which fixed the multichannel issue with the DK driver - thumbs up!).

Great!

1) Just tested this with the Music app and finally Dolby Atmos playback works in 7.1.4 when I put a Channels Limit of 16 on my UFX+, MacBook Pro M1, macOS 13.6.7. With full channel count it only gives 5.1, see https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=36260, this means no rerouting via virtual audio driver is needed anymore smile
Only weird thing I noticed: When switching the interface off and on the sample rate changes to 192 (on the clock source internal, all ADAT and MADI devices currently off and I only ever use 48 or 44.1 usually)

2) It would be great being able to only limit the Software Playback channels and not the Hardware Inputs, so my hardware loopbacks for Digicheck could be maintained and I would generally not need to switch between settings, as I rarely need more than 16 software playback channels, but often more than the first 16 inputs.

3) Will the channel limit also be introduced for the thunderbolt kernel extension driver? Still using that right now and am a bit hesitant to change to USB driver kit, as thunderbolt is running way smoother in my setup.

Hello hselters,

Interesting observation! If I recall correctly, I haven't encountered the "5.1 instead of 7.1.4 issue" with Apple Music since installing Sonoma about a year ago. I just found some details on this Apple discussion thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/25 … 9375220022

I have a question: when switching to 32-channel mode or turning it off with the current 4.12 dk driver, do you still only get 5.1 Atmos output? This would maybe be a hint that OS'es before sonoma have this problem in Music?

---

Additionally, I've noticed something peculiar today while playing a stereo track in Apple Music. When switching from 'off' or '32-channel' mode to '8-channel' or '16-channel', Apple Music seems to replicate the stereo playback across all 8 or 16 channels immediately. This of course leads to harmonics and overtones generated by clipping and intermodulation distortion...

I can reproduce this issue while running Sequoia beta, and I'm curious if it affects Sonoma and older macOS versions as well.
I've managed to pinpoint the issue as follows: The track is stereo and must be stored locally. The file format (AIFF, WAV, MP3) and audio properties (sample rate, bit depth, etc.) don't appear to influence the outcome.

Memo at me smile Remember not to switch the channels "on the fly" as MC described above:

Attention: changing the channel count on the fly is not supported by most apps! Quit the audio application before making changes and then restart it.
“Do It For Her”

Hello,
Does the fireface 802 is compatible with Sonoma 14.5 please ?
Because i have bought a FF802 to replace my FF800 that my Imac M1 with sonoma don't regonised anymore and when i want to install the FF802 USB driver i have a message " RME fireface USB Driver 3.223 w.TotalMix FX1.95  cannot be installes on this drive. The mac version is too recent".

Moua pouet wrote:

Hello,
Because i have bought a FF802 to replace my FF800 that my Imac M1 with sonoma don't regonised anymore and when i want to install the FF802 USB driver i have a message " RME fireface USB Driver 3.223 w.TotalMix FX1.95  cannot be installes on this drive. The mac version is too recent".

Hi
Wrong driver! You need v3.31! 3.223 is for older macOS versions.

oli77sch wrote:
Moua pouet wrote:

Hello,

Hi
Wrong driver! You need v3.31! 3.223 is for older macOS versions.

Thank you very much ! That's work fine with USB !

Now i would like to link my FF802 with my FF800 in ADAT.
I have put the optical wire in ADAT 1 output FF800 -> ADAT 1 input FF802 and i have the green led ADAT 1 of the FF802 that flash. Is it possible to link the two Fireface despite the FF800 is not recognized by my Imac M1 on Sonoma 14.5 (red led host ON) please ?

Moua pouet wrote:

I have put the optical wire in ADAT 1 output FF800 -> ADAT 1 input FF802 and i have the green led ADAT 1 of the FF802 that flash. Is it possible to link the two Fireface despite the FF800 is not recognized by my Imac M1 on Sonoma 14.5 (red led host ON) please ?

ADAT is not comparable to USB or FireWire, it’s simply a digital audio protocol / connection with eight channels (at 44.1 or 48 kHz) over one cable. The host computer cannot recognise the FF800, the interface is in standalone mode, therefore the red host light. You can route eight of the FF800 analog inputs internally to its ADAT out and send them to the FF802 (and the same vice versa for analog outputs over the FF800). Doing that, you could add analog inputs and outputs, but the total channel number of the FF802 stays the same.

oli77sch wrote:
Moua pouet wrote:

ADAT is not comparable to USB or FireWire, it’s simply a digital audio protocol / connection with eight channels (at 44.1 or 48 kHz) over one cable. The host computer cannot recognise the FF800, the interface is in standalone mode, therefore the red host light. You can route eight of the FF800 analog inputs internally to its ADAT out and send them to the FF802 (and the same vice versa for analog outputs over the FF800). Doing that, you could add analog inputs and outputs, but the total channel number of the FF802 stays the same.

Ok how can i route the output of the 4 preamp of my FF800 to the 4 input of the FF802 without preamp  if my FF800 is not recognized by my Imac please (total FX of the FF800 is not available)?

Moreover, i have connected a advanced remote control (the blue one) to the FF802 and nothing happen. I have found no information about the FF802 requirement in the ARC's manual chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcg … /arc_e.pdf

Chapter 23 in the FF802 manual  up to version 2 explains what to do to be able to use the ARC in stand-alone mode.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

maggie33 wrote:

I have a question: when switching to 32-channel mode or turning it off with the current 4.12 dk driver, do you still only get 5.1 Atmos output? This would maybe be a hint that OS'es before sonoma have this problem in Music?

Yes, exactly.
Might update to newest macOS soon, maybe this will also solve the sample rate issue, I will report back. At the moment this driver changes constantly to 192kHz, pretty much on every reboot.

Thanks. So the theory seems to make sense.

——-

Maybe an idea, regarding your 192k issue:

If you are sure nothing else (app, whatever) sets the rate explcitly after reboot, maybe it could be worth to try this:

First Backup these 2 files anywhere (just in case…) These files store the overall macos AMS Audio settings…
/Library/Preferences/Audio/com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist
/Library/Preferences/Audio/com.apple.audio.SystemSettings.plist

Then, delete them and reboot. Mac should initialise the files by itself after a reboot.

Have to mention: I have no macos older than sonoma atm. So could not verify this by myself.

“Do It For Her”

Thanks, that worked, so far no more sample rate changes.
With Sonoma 14.5 I get Atmos playback in 7.1.4. from Apple Music and don't need to limit the channel count anymore.
It even works with the Thunderbolt Kernel Ext. driver 1.24, so I switched back to that.

Hi, I tryed infinite times to make my ff400 works. I’m on a MacBook Pro m1. First tryed on Ventura, no luck. Downgrade to Monterrey, no luck. Tryed on Sonoma and no luck. Tryed all the terminal comands, the RME reset video too. I just need to config the RME to work stand alone for adat expansion

Tryed know with a MacBook Pro 2012 with El Capitan. Didn’t work, it turns on only with the fw400-800 cord and red light. Installed the driver but doesn’t recognize the ff400. Tryed with power supply too but doesn’t work.

alespardo wrote:

Tryed know with a MacBook Pro 2012 with El Capitan. Didn’t work, it turns on only with the fw400-800 cord and red light. Installed the driver but doesn’t recognize the ff400. Tryed with power supply too but doesn’t work.

How exactly is the FF400 connected to the Mac?
Beside that: wrong thread, FF400 is not related to USB drivers on macOS 11 and up.

Hi there,

Not sure where to post this exactly as it covers various threads in this forum but the current thread concerns Mac OS so let's see!

I have recently changed my Mac Book Pro 2015 to a Mac Book Air M1 currently using Sonoma 14.5. I had been operating my RME Fireface 400 with a  thunderbolt 2 connection to the MacBook Pro and had few difficulties with it.

However the move to the MacAir M1 has caused me great frustration.

I followed the new instructions about M1 Driver installations by resetting the safety feature in recovery mode on my MacAir.
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=31781

I purchased a Thunderbolt 4 adaptor to further connect to the Thunderbolt 2 and which is now added via an accessory portal (HTMI, USBs etc) to the Mac Air.

But there is nothing happening. The Total Mix icon appears on my screen but there is no response or channel display. There is no registration of the RME interface on Cubase or Apple’s GarageBand so the issue might rest with this extra thunderbolt adaptor - possibly. I don’t know. Any advice?

690 (edited by alespardo 2024-07-21 20:59:21)

oli77sch wrote:
alespardo wrote:

How exactly is the FF400 connected to the Mac?
Beside that: wrong thread, FF400 is not related to USB drivers on macOS 11 and up.

ff400 with a f400-800 cord, then to the apple adaptor fw to thunderbolt 2, then other apple adaptor thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3. Then to the main thunderbolt 4 port of the MacBook Pro M1 2020.

Tryed all the safe mode, the video from rme to reset but nothing works. Still the red light and doesn't recognize the ff400 the Mac. Even the MacBook Pro 2012 with El Capitan with the fw cord
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FMWVhu … p=sharing, https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X0Y157 … p=sharing, https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ayg74H … sp=sharing