401 (edited by naturligasteg 2022-07-02 21:38:55)

Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

cyrano wrote:

You didn't forget to give Teams access to the mic icon in System preferences/Security & privacy?

I got sick for a few days, but now I have had a look under security settings. Microphone is enabled for Teams and I can not see anything else than one mic, nothing about RME disabled. Looking in the wrong place?

Sorry, I'm out of suggestions.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

cyrano wrote:

Sorry, I'm out of suggestions.

Wonder if it works for anybody else with MS Teams on the 802 and new M1 Macs.

Hey guys. I have a Babyface Pro which I've been using with MacBook Pro 16 with the M1 pro chip, via the official RME USB C cable. The problem I've been having, frankly ever since I moved from Windows to Mac, is audio skipping and dropouts whenever using the interface. It's mostly prevalent watching YouTube on Safari. I don't think I've had to much trouble in places like Premiere or FL Studio, but when browsing the issue pops up a lot.

Is this a known thing, and is there a way to mitigate it?

Today I updated macOS Monterey to 12.5.1 and I got the message that the RME driver will no longer work in future MacOS Versions. After the Update I tested my interface and everything seems to work.

reezon wrote:

Today I updated macOS Monterey to 12.5.1 and I got the message that the RME driver will no longer work in future MacOS Versions. After the Update I tested my interface and everything seems to work.

RME has a DriverKit-based USB driver in public beta: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35444 But if you don't want to be a beta tester, it's fine to keep using the stable 3.x driver for now.

Worked also for me. Now on 12.5.1. Super happy!

iamweith wrote:

The latest Patch update for Total mix works perfect and my ghetto startup solution is no longer needed for my setup. I'm on MacOS 12.2 Mac mini m1 and FF400

feelingfaceform wrote:

Thanks, that helped here with my FF400!!

MuMan wrote:

Same here with my Mac Mini. Have to unplug and replug after Startup to get the FF400 working.

http://www.nantschev.com
http://www.crystalhorizon.at

408 (edited by gonziak 2022-10-04 10:26:48)

Solved after checking different drivers betas and stables, I change the process buffer range to medium and it's working

Hello I have a problem with Logic X and BF pro fs, its stuttering with simple session. Switch core audio to MacBook Pro speakers session works good. I'm on Beta driver and frmwr 200. I connected 2 interfaces (BF and Scarlett ) no problem with Focusrite. Any Ideas?

supernormal wrote:

Hey guys. I have a Babyface Pro which I've been using with MacBook Pro 16 with the M1 pro chip, via the official RME USB C cable. The problem I've been having, frankly ever since I moved from Windows to Mac, is audio skipping and dropouts whenever using the interface. It's mostly prevalent watching YouTube on Safari. I don't think I've had to much trouble in places like Premiere or FL Studio, but when browsing the issue pops up a lot.

Is this a known thing, and is there a way to mitigate it?

Hi to everyone!
I've an issue with Monterey 12.6.  Totalmix doesn't start (icon "jump" on dock)
Before with Big Sur was ok!
Driver tested version:
- 4.06 Beta
Audio device is Fireface UC (in Apple mode smile )
In privacy settings I enabled extension.
For 3.x drivers I started in recovery mode and enable certified developer.
I've tried panic medic  boot command.

Is there someone with this issue?
tks!

margat wrote:

Hi to everyone!
I've an issue with Monterey 12.6.  Totalmix doesn't start (icon "jump" on dock)
Before with Big Sur was ok!
Driver tested version:
- 4.06 Beta
Audio device is Fireface UC (in Apple mode smile )
In privacy settings I enabled extension.
For 3.x drivers I started in recovery mode and enable certified developer.
I've tried panic medic  boot command.

Is there someone with this issue?
tks!

Apple Mode? Do you mean Class Compliant Mode? I don't think TotalMix will work with CCM.

RME Babyface v226 | 4.07 | MacBook Pro 13" 2020 | 16gb/1tb

Just updated to macOS Ventura and all is good so far. MBP 16" M1 Max, firmware 201, driver 4.06 beta.

hyperscientist wrote:

Just updated to macOS Ventura and all is good so far. MBP 16" M1 Max, firmware 201, driver 4.06 beta.

I'm sat worriedly on Monterey still using the kext-based driver. This gives me hope. Did you find any of the other beta issues listed here? Did your latency go up between kext-based and this DriverKit one? Did your max track count drop noticeably?

I'm tempted to still keep hanging on a bit. Hopefully it won't be too long for non-beta if Ventura is now out. Although not in a rush if the performance goes down.

Did you go to the beta driverkit one here on Monterey first, before the Ventura upgrade?

413 (edited by Laurence234 2022-10-26 18:11:01)

Cannot find Fireface USB Settings for Babyface Pro
Mac Mini M1
Driver: 328
Totalmix: 4.06
Babyface Flash: 201

Need it to change ADAT to SPDIF. Any help would be much appreciated!!!!!

I've just tried my Babyface Pro on a Windows Machine, and it no longer works. Latest drivers etc.

I have flashed the Babyface to version 201 with version 4.06, which no longer has the option of changing the digital output from ADAT to SPDIF, as I can't find Fireface USB Settings anymore, but now Windows no longer works. I really need a solution, what can I do?

Piplodocus wrote:

Did you find any of the other beta issues listed here? Did your latency go up between kext-based and this DriverKit one? Did your max track count drop noticeably? Did you go to the beta driverkit one here on Monterey first, before the Ventura upgrade?

I don't see any official list of issues in the first post and I didn't read through the whole thread, so can't tell. I was on driverkit drivers already on Monterey and then updated the system to Ventura. I can't really speak about performance, because I am not a heavy user - I never hit max track and I am not really in a position to benchmark this device now. I use it with 2 external instruments, mic, multiple software ones, up to maybe 25 tracks in a daw and I didn't notice any glitches so far. If I see anything I will come back here to report.

I've nearly got this going. I've rolled it back to Babyface Pro FLash: 200, and for some reason the installer isn't working.

I've dragged out Fireface USB Settings and TotalMix into the applications folder, but the other ones I'm not so sure where they go.

MADIfaceUSB3MIDIDriver.plugin where does this go?

de.rme-audio.RMEfirefaceUSBAgent.plist where does this go?

RMEFirefaceUSB.kext where does this go?

Thanks

Found where they all go. Then tried installing the 4.06, as still no luck.

Unfortunately the Babyface Pro no longer appears no matter what I do. Just cannot get it working. It's working again on Windows though, so looks like I won't be able to use the Mac M1 for now.

Well, I got it working with the beta 4.06 after manually installing it, and then flashed it to version 201, and now it works. Looks like I'll have to reflash it if I want to use it with Windows. Not ideal of course

hyperscientist wrote:

I Updated to Ventura too and installed 4.06. Seems to be ok! tks a lot!

Now waiting on a Flash that Windows also supports

????

A FUT that flashes v200 under Windows already exists. Apart from that v201 works no different on Windows than 200 or 199 or...with all existing Windows drivers...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I wish to share I have also encountered an odd occurrence with my Babyface Pro (non-FS) and MacBook Pro 13" M1 (2020) on Big Sur.

I recently upgraded to 11.7.1 and I believe this caused the security matter to happen.

When plugging the Babyface Pro in, as some others have experienced, the Fireface USB settings is accessible but set to 32 kHz. Usually I have it at 88.2 kHz. Totalmix was not able to pull up any windows nor was the Babyface Pro selectable nor visible in the MacOS Audio MIDI setup.

I did receive the MacOS notification about System Extensions need to be rebuilt. I believe the reason was due to upgrading to 11.7.1.

I tried logging out and doing a login but no change and I couldn't access Totalmix.

I did a full shutdown and rebooted from a cold start. Then the Babyface Pro and Totalmix seems to work as per normal (with limited testing as I don't have time to check every feature).

If anyone has similar experience to this, and any clues why things would resume to working without having to do really anything that would be helpful. Right now, I'm unsure if I can expect the setup to be stable if I were to shutdown and reboot when in the field etc...

Firmware is v201 and Driver is v3.28.

I have not done the Terminal -> kmutil command entries as suggested by:
https://rme-audio.de/rme-drivers-macos-reset.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DbQaunXsxg

I usually have the Babyface Pro connected to the MacBook Pro (USB C) using the RME original USB cable. As that is USB-A I need to use an adapter. I have been using either an original USB-A/C/HDMI A2119 model adapter, or a no-name USB C to A adapter with the babyface and those have always seemed to work just fine. I also have an Elgato Thunderbolt 3 Dock and the babyface Pro has been working well with that too (Babyface Pro to USB in of Elgato Thunderbolt 3 Dock into Thunderbolt port of MacBook Pro 13" 2020).

Babyface Pro is not set to Class compliant mode.

423 (edited by stromkraft 2022-11-19 22:28:04)

bohrRME wrote:

When plugging the Babyface Pro in, as some others have experienced, the Fireface USB settings is accessible but set to 32 kHz. Usually I have it at 88.2 kHz. Totalmix was not able to pull up any windows nor was the Babyface Pro selectable nor visible in the MacOS Audio MIDI setup.…

What are the differences in symptoms if you set your Babyface Pro into Class compliant mode?

Did you have audio at all?

RME Babyface v226 | 4.07 | MacBook Pro 13" 2020 | 16gb/1tb

Is there a plan going forward for M1 drivers? I get a pop up warning that soon the driver I am using (v17 firmware, 4.06 beta) will not e supported by Apple.

425 (edited by Piplodocus 2022-11-21 19:51:30)

SpinWorkRecord wrote:

Is there a plan going forward for M1 drivers? I get a pop up warning that soon the driver I am using (v17 firmware, 4.06 beta) will not e supported by Apple.

I never got an answer when I asked here, but from what I could piece together from here and other info:

• Apple is getting rid of kext (kernel extension) based drivers. These were previously allowed up until Big Sur, but after that you had to disable system integrity protection (SIP) to allow them as they have higher level access to the OS kernel.

• Going forward they are supposed to use Apple's DriverKit so they effectively run in user space rather than the elevated security priviledges of kext drivers.

• I installed Ventura recently (which I believe was supposed to be the cut-off of being able to turn off SIP and hence forced the Driverkit drivers). So I downloaded the 4.06 beta, which I believe is a driverkit-based driver.
    Works with Ventura and I don't get any of the messages about it not going to be supported soon like I did on Monterey.

So I'm a bit confused why you'd get that message if 4.06 beta is properly installed as it should get rid of the old kext-based one if I'm not mistaken and be the Mac Ventura/Monterey/ARM onwards driver(s) of the future direction. Have you got the latest download of the 4.06 beta? From what I gathered the older download may have had an older version of TotalMix. Maybe something to do with that? Not sure.

Apparently the Driverkit one can be a bit more intensive though and may reduce your track count (and/or latency). I've also had a few odd audio glitches. But after googling Ventura and audio I think this may be a non-RME specific thing, so may be a Ventura+DriverKit x.0 version bug that'll be fixed. Apart from those few infrequent glitches 4.06 seems pretty stable on my M1 Max with Ventura. Some people found MS Teams resets volumes to ear-popping defaults though due to a bug caused by Teams not being M1 native.

That's basically what I seem to have deduced. Correct me if any of that is wrong, but it's the best info to my knowledge.

EDIT: I also updated my UFX II to latest FW too btw

EDIT 2: The RME website seems to have been updated to say Ventura supports the same method of disabling SIP as Monterey & Big Sur, so maybe I don't actually need to be running the driverkit-based beta. I've also read in the last few mins that there may not be a reduction in track count or latency either as that was an older with earlier betas. So no idea. Would be nice to have a proper answer from RME here on the latest options, recommendations and info (although I guess I could have emailed them...)

stromkraft wrote:
bohrRME wrote:

When plugging the Babyface Pro in, as some others have experienced, the Fireface USB settings is accessible but set to 32 kHz. Usually I have it at 88.2 kHz. Totalmix was not able to pull up any windows nor was the Babyface Pro selectable nor visible in the MacOS Audio MIDI setup.…

What are the differences in symptoms if you set your Babyface Pro into Class compliant mode?

Did you have audio at all?

I haven't tried class compliant mode so at this point I can't indicate if there are any differences in symptoms.

Piplodocus wrote:
SpinWorkRecord wrote:

I never got an answer when I asked here, but from what I could piece together from here and other info:

• Apple is getting rid of kext (kernel extension) based drivers. These were previously allowed up until Big Sur, but after that you had to disable system integrity protection (SIP) to allow them as they have higher level access to the OS kernel.

• Going forward they are supposed to use Apple's DriverKit so they effectively run in user space rather than the elevated security priviledges of kext drivers.

• I installed Ventura recently (which I believe was supposed to be the cut-off of being able to turn off SIP and hence forced the Driverkit drivers). So I downloaded the 4.06 beta, which I believe is a driverkit-based driver.
    Works with Ventura and I don't get any of the messages about it not going to be supported soon like I did on Monterey.

So I'm a bit confused why you'd get that message if 4.06 beta is properly installed as it should get rid of the old kext-based one if I'm not mistaken and be the Mac Ventura/Monterey/ARM onwards driver(s) of the future direction. Have you got the latest download of the 4.06 beta? From what I gathered the older download may have had an older version of TotalMix. Maybe something to do with that? Not sure.

Apparently the Driverkit one can be a bit more intensive though and may reduce your track count (and/or latency). I've also had a few odd audio glitches. But after googling Ventura and audio I think this may be a non-RME specific thing, so may be a Ventura+DriverKit x.0 version bug that'll be fixed. Apart from those few infrequent glitches 4.06 seems pretty stable on my M1 Max with Ventura. Some people found MS Teams resets volumes to ear-popping defaults though due to a bug caused by Teams not being M1 native.

That's basically what I seem to have deduced. Correct me if any of that is wrong, but it's the best info to my knowledge.

EDIT: I also updated my UFX II to latest FW too btw

EDIT 2: The RME website seems to have been updated to say Ventura supports the same method of disabling SIP as Monterey & Big Sur, so maybe I don't actually need to be running the driverkit-based beta. I've also read in the last few mins that there may not be a reduction in track count or latency either as that was an older with earlier betas. So no idea. Would be nice to have a proper answer from RME here on the latest options, recommendations and info (although I guess I could have emailed them...)

Super helpful, thank you. I am still on Monterey and am running 4.06 beta. I get infrequent glitches now, which is a new thing. I may just need to restart the macbook pro. Besides that and that nag message from Apple it seems to be working pretty well. Definitely would like to hear from RME on options and recs as well.

428 (edited by headrc 2022-11-22 19:40:20)

If I may ask without having to read this whole thread (which I will do when i have time)...the simple question is ...will my Fireface 400 work with new macBook Pro M1/Ventura through Firewire to Thunderbolt adapters?  Or should I just wait until RME UFX+ is available for purchase and delivery (nobody has it right now) before I upgrade my Mac?

headrc wrote:

Or should I just wait until RME UFX+ is available for purchase and delivery (nobody has it right now) before I upgrade my Mac?

That is not an option, as the UFX+ is discontinued, sorry.

Babyface Pro FS, MSI GS66, Studio One

Sorry I meant the UFX II + ...so my question is still there...

431 (edited by ebmmbongo 2022-11-22 23:05:38)

headrc wrote:

Sorry I meant the UFX II + ...so my question is still there...

Afaik there is no UFX II+. There was the original UFX, then the UFX II and the UFX+, but the UFX+ is now discontinued (because of some sort of Thunderbolt interface shortage).

Here is the bees knees:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 64#p192364

Babyface Pro FS, MSI GS66, Studio One

Hey guys, here is my story: I have been using a Fireface 802 for two years with iMac via FireWire. Now I bought a Mac Studio with Ventura 13.0.1, connected the Fireface via usb and it worked. Next day though, no connection. I have tried all the recommendations I could find from the website and in this forum, installed driver 3.28, even 4.06, many times, with advice from the video etc.,no way. I have read that in order to connect  with 4.06 I should update the firmware, but how can I do that, when FF is not recognized? I am getting pretty desperate here, can anybody help? Thanks a lot, Mike.

I just realized that, after I have installed the driver and habe allowed it in the security settings, the Mac , after I have hit the reboot, effectively starts up twice, all by itself. Does that mean, it tries to load the Rme kext, fails and then restarts without it?

434 (edited by allen.huish 2022-11-30 14:02:01)

I have just installed the latest driver on the main website (324?) and totalmix no longer works.

There is a dock icon, but no windows.

I am on M1 mac with ventura 13.0.1

I also had the double boot up issue above.

Edit: I just redownloaded from the main site. It is a later version than in this thread (328).

I selected restart from the system settings screen, not the installer and it said it was doing something (rebuilding driver cache?) and it all works now.

435 (edited by VayouApp 2022-12-02 20:53:00)

regarding UFX+ and TB install on MAC OS 11.6.1

the recommended Thunderbolt driver for macOS 11 and up, Intel and ARM

is driver version 1.21
from 11/27/2020
This package includes TotalMix FX 1.70 !

But there is a much newer
Thunderbolt driver for Mac OS X Intel 10.11 and up
with version 1.13
from 01/27/2022
This package includes TotalMix FX 1.75 !
(according to the readme)

I wonder why the version 1.13 is so much newer than the 1.21
and that there is a newer TotalMix FX in the 1.13 driver package

I install on a Intel Mac from 2014

Which version is best to take for the install ?

1.13 is for older MacOS. It had been updated with TM FX in-between.  1.21 is the current, universal binary version that supports all latest OS and Intel/M computers. It's update phase stopped when we began working on the DriverKit stuff, see TB beta in forum.

You can download the latest TM FX 1.78 from this forum and use that with driver 1.21.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I installed as told, 1.21 TB, TM 1.78 and firmware DSP 46, all the latest versions
and the installs seem to go ok, no errors or so.
After restart there is connection with the Mac.

I also installed the current 3.28 USB and tried that, using just the USB cable connection of course (and viceversa).
Here the same, install seems ok, but no connection. I can start the app Fireface USB Settings but making changes like the Sampling Rate is not reflected on the UFX+. Total Mix brings no window, Device Selection empty as well.

What can I do to find out the reason or get it up running again?
Thank you!

Hello.
I recently updated the UFX firmware to 3.61 and now my Macbook Pro2019 (usb-c 2port) OS montery 12.6.1 does not recognize the MIDI in& out port.
It is not recognized by the standard Mac application [audio&midi setting] nor by any DAW software.
It is recognized as an audio interface, and there is no problem with sound input/output.

++ Operating environment
Macbook Pro2019 (usb-c 2port) OS montery 12.6.1 (21G217)
FIREFACE UFX (farmware 3.61) (Driver 3.28)
Total mix FX ver. 1.78
Connect by usb 2.0

I have tried to downgrade the firmware to 3.60 and the Driver to 3.27, 3,24 and other past versions, but none of them are recognized.

When I connect it to my sub-machine Macbook Air 2012 (High sierra), it recognizes and can use both AUDIO and MIDI without any problem.

I wish there was a solution to this problem.

You may need to repeat this:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=33277

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hello

I updated my Apple M1 Pro Macbook to OS X 13.1 (22C65) and my Fireface UFX, connected via USB, is not being recognised, nor the 'Allow' option pops up in the Privacy&Security System Settings (formerly preferences) as suggested under the entry "How to install the latest RME Audio driver for macOS 11 and up on Intel or M1/M2 Chipsets"

Any tips or any other situations like this under the new OS X 13.1 (22C65)

all best,

under wrote:

Hello.
I recently updated the UFX firmware to 3.61 and now my Macbook Pro2019 (usb-c 2port) OS montery 12.6.1 does not recognize the MIDI in& out port.
It is not recognized by the standard Mac application [audio&midi setting] nor by any DAW software.
It is recognized as an audio interface, and there is no problem with sound input/output.

First thing to try is the most simple one: make the Audio MIDI Setup, MIDI window full screen to see all included elements. If you had the UFX MIDI before it should be still there but greyed out. Delete it and rescan for MIDI devices.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
under wrote:

Hello.

First thing to try is the most simple one: make the Audio /MIDI setup MIDI window full screen to see all included elements. If you had the UFX MIDI before it should be still there but greyed out. Delete it and rescan for MIDI devices.

Thank you, it worked!

> MC ,RME SUPPORT

Hi, Thank you for advice.

Rescan for MIDI devices by AudioMidi.App was not working...
But, I tryed Reset macOS kernel extensions,

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=33277

Then Reinstall Driver that FIREFACE UFX could work Audio and  MIDI both on the Montery Again.
Thank you very much.

444 (edited by ulrich.treutwein 2023-01-17 14:51:02)

Hi,
just a minor thing, but in "Audio-Midi-Setup" (MacOS 12.6.2 Monterey) my UFX-Midi-Ports only show up as "USB-MIDI-Device".

They are working, but it´s a little bit strange. On my former MacBook Air M1 with MacOS 11 Big Sur it showed up fine.

I installed the Beta Driver 4.06 and fixed permissions/kexts but that didn´t change anything.

Any thoughts?

Best,
Ulrich

RME Fireface UFX, MacBook Pro 16" M1 Pro (2021), macOS Monterey 12.6.2

Hi - I'm glad to know that I am not alone here but I am having issues with drivers for a Fireface 400 and Madiface USB on Big Sur. This issue has arisen since a (failed) installation of another audio driver.

I have now installed the beta 403 USB driver and the Madiface appears to now be working however the Fireface is not recognised

I have tried the Terminal Command mentioned in https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=33277 however the response is "bash: kmulti: command not found"

Would anyone have any further suggestions?

446 (edited by magebarf 2023-01-24 18:20:41)

matthill163 wrote:

"bash: kmulti: command not found"

I can't vouch for if its the right thing to do, or not, but that "kmulti", I gues you read as "k multi", while the actual wording is "km util" (assumption on my end that km is kernel module, making this the kernel modul command line utility).

So, fixing that typo (kmulti -> kmutil) may bring you a step closer.

Thank - that was actually a typo I made in the message here. I had copied the command line from so It should have check out ok.

Strange thing is - all of a sudden and inexplicably the Fireface 400 came back to life as did total mix etc...

A few days later I did a restart of my laptop and now back to it being unrecognised.

Would a reinstall of OS help this in anyway?

Thanks

I got the driver to install/work after choosing the reduced security setting.

does anyone know If I have to keep my Mac at the reduced security setting from now on? or was it only to install the drivers and can I set it back to the default/full security setting now?

It needs to stay this way.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ok thanks for the reply. i didn't have any security issues with my computer with Big Sur, so I guess I shouldn't have any now either.