Topic: Audio streaming from Ipad using AVB/Dante

Hello,
I am looking for a solution to stream audio data from/to my Ipad Pro (with Ethernet connexion) over the local network.
As far as I understand, the Digiface AVB requires either a Mac or a PC.
Is there any RME product that would allow this?
Best regards,
Darius
(currently running a Firefice UCX in class-compliant modus)

Re: Audio streaming from Ipad using AVB/Dante

this would be fantastic...
Unfortunately I doubt that apple has built in native AVB support in IOS. But it would be cool to see a driver from RME for the digiface avb (and certainly the other high channel interfaces) for iPad. Now with the common hardware platform m1 / Axx and the OS integration strategy of apple this should be not that difficult. The iPad has more than enough horsepower for recording high amount of tracks. It would make live recordings a breeze :-)

Is there any news here? Is the Digiface AVB compatible with iOS, specifically the new 5th generation iPad Pro with Thunderbolt/USB-C?

Thanks,

-- Jason

M1 Mac Mini/Sonoma/Digiface AVB -> Motu AVB Switch -> UltraliteAVB/M64/SSL AlphaLink MADI
Grace m906

Unfortunately I doubt that apple has built in native AVB support in IOS.

Technically, it would have to be limited to iPadOS (because there is no iOS device with Thunderbolt). And then, to the iPads with Thunderbolt, because no AVB without PCIe network adapter. That means that for recording, you could only use AVB recording for a limited amount of time, because to the best of my knowledge, there is no way to supply power through a Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter to the iPad Pro at this time - right?

Anyway, also curious if a AVB-compliant ethernet adapter on iPad OS would allow users to discover AVB entities on the network - so if anyone has tried this, let us know! But my expectation is that there is simply the network browser missing at this point.

Is the Digiface AVB compatible with iOS

It is unlikely that one could install a Digiface AVB driver (that handles part of the AVB stack) on iPadOS in the future. iPads always required class compliant USB devices that do not require drivers. So no, the Digiface AVB is not compatible with iPadOS.

iPad pros support network and audio drivers via DriverKit:

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play … 22/110373/

Not sure if RME uses DriverKit for their macOS drivers, but if so they are already compatible…
class compliant no longer needed…