Topic: Madiface XT - ASIO drivers not picking up mic input

Hi!
I'm new to this forum so I hope I posted this in the right section, please redirect me if I messed up.
I'm also new to the whole RME ecosystem and have recently picked up a used Madiface XT. It works just as expected except for the ASIO driver. In my DAW (Reason) I can select two inputs apart from all the MADI inputs:

- MADIface USB Analog 1
- MADIface USB Analog 2

As far as I can tell these should be the mic inputs on the interface itself. However, I do not receive any signal. I have the same issue in iZotope's RX 8, however here is where it gets complicated.
I can select the MME driver which works in RX 8 but with the same driver does not show any audio inputs in Reason which is weird. ASIO4ALL works but the latency is not great with a minimum of 10ms along with the other drawbacks.

To be clear: The mic inputs do work and other software that uses the mic inputs (like Zoom, Discord, Skype, Teams etc.) does work just fine.
Is there some setting I need to change so I can get audio into Reason using ASIO?

Thanks in advance for any help! Cheers!

2 (edited by waedi 2021-03-05 17:43:03)

Re: Madiface XT - ASIO drivers not picking up mic input

First I would look into Totalmix.
Is the sound there visible in input 1/2 ?
I am not familiar with your DAW but it is possible you have to select and activate input channels in the preferences settings in the DAW ?
And may be you have to activate the tracks for recording in the DAW ?
Zoom and Skype and those softwares use In1/2 usually per default.
DAWs are built different and you have to setup the connections first.

OSX M1, Babyface (soundstudio-to-go), started with PST8, Multiface I, Multiface II, PCIeMadi

Re: Madiface XT - ASIO drivers not picking up mic input

What RME driver do you have installed ? Filename please.

Please do not use ASIO4ALL, its a workaround for evel things. Best you remove this driver entirely !!!
ASIO4ALL is an additional driver layer acting as umbrella solution for any audio driver with the aim to speak then ASIO protocol to any application that opens this driver. By this it is possible that a DAW can load the ASIO driver of the recording interface and e.g. also the driver of "crappy" USB mics which you can not connect to a real recording interface.

But this is EVIL. Why ? You loosed the direct / optimum access through the RME ASIO driver to the hardware and add latency and potentially also create instability or create additional possibilities for errors.
The biggest disadvantage, such a solution can't be supported anymore by anyone ...

And why you use MME drivers ? Please .. you have now a high professional recording interface with EXCELLENT ASIO drivers .. please use these drivers for this interface. And if some applications do not support ASIO, take a look into the manual, and create DWM drivers in the RME driver settings which are compatible to the Windows OS and non-ASIO aware applications.

I recommend to broswe through the manual to get some ideas what can / needs to be done here and there.

BR
Ramses
X10SRi-F, E5-1650v4, Win10Pro20H2, Cub11Pro, UFX+ (v0.9735), XTC, 12Mic, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

4 (edited by Adamiomn 2021-03-05 22:05:34)

Re: Madiface XT - ASIO drivers not picking up mic input

waedi wrote:

First I would look into Totalmix.
Is the sound there visible in input 1/2 ?
I am not familiar with your DAW but it is possible you have to select and activate input channels in the preferences settings in the DAW ?
And may be you have to activate the tracks for recording in the DAW ?
Zoom and Skype and those softwares use In1/2 usually per default.
DAWs are built different and you have to setup the connections first.

Thanks for your answer. Yes, Totalmix shows input and I am very familiar with my DAW, I have recorded with it for over 5 years so I am confident that everything's set up correctly.

ramses wrote:

What RME driver do you have installed ? Filename please.

I don't have a filename but the version, it is 0.9734 (date: 25/11/2020). When I got the Madiface a few weeks ago I updated both firmware and installed the newest ASIO driver so I think everything's alright with that.

ramses wrote:

And why you use MME drivers ? Please ..

I do not. I used it to check whether other drivers would work with the inputs.

ramses wrote:

you have now a high professional recording interface with EXCELLENT ASIO drivers .. please use these drivers for this interface.

That was my intention and the reason for my post.

ramses wrote:

And if some applications do not support ASIO, take a look into the manual, and create DWM drivers in the RME driver settings which are compatible to the Windows OS and non-ASIO aware applications.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Edit: I've just tried with Reaper (should have done that soone) at it works just fine which is very weird. I'll have to dig deeper.