Topic: Loopback Problem.

Hi Folks:

I am trying to combine software playback for backing tracks with my microphone in loopback.  My problem is that, in loopback, the audio track is not playing in stereo.  What am I doing wrong?

On another point, how do I get my headphones to monitor 1-2 instead 3-4?

Thanks all over the place gang.

Re: Loopback Problem.

The Assign button in Totalmix control room, right side bottom, is for assigning the headphone to your desired output.
The playback channel with your music has a knob inside (open the channel with the wrench tool).
The knob "Width" controls the stereo spread, may you changed it before ?
It should have the value 1.00 or 100, not minus.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me.

waedi wrote:

The Assign button in Totalmix control room, right side bottom, is for assigning the headphone to your desired output.
The playback channel with your music has a knob inside (open the channel with the wrench tool).
The knob "Width" controls the stereo spread, may you changed it before ?
It should have the value 1.00 or 100, not minus.

This reply has little to do with the original question. The "Assign" button does not "assign the headphone to your desired output".

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

jim.noseworthy wrote:

Hi Folks:

I am trying to combine software playback for backing tracks with my microphone in loopback.  My problem is that, in loopback, the audio track is not playing in stereo.  What am I doing wrong?

Where does the Loopback go? Have we discussed this earlier, I remember one such case (but no simple solution on our side)...

On another point, how do I get my headphones to monitor 1-2 instead 3-4?

See the tutorial videos at rme.to/tm
Select the phones output and pull up the fader in software playback (or input) 1-2...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hello:

Okay: I think I've got it. But that presents me with a major problem.

Because I am Blind and using a screen reading program, it is necessary to always be able to monitor my screen reader through my headphones without sending the screen reader audio to the outside world.  Presently, I have the computer's speaker output directly cabled in to adats 1-2. If I press the CUE button, the only way I can hear my screen reading program is to bring up adats 1-2 and, of course, then, the audio is sent to the USB along with the rest of the audio.

Is it possible to resolve this problem?

Thanks all over the place

Yes with routing in Totalmix.
Your screenreader gives out audio signal to a playback channel in Totalmix.
By default it is probably playback channel 1/2.
This signal can be sent to any hardware output channel.

Hello:

I don't quite understand.  Right now, my computer's speaker, which is carying the screen reader, is hardwired to adats 1-2.  How to I send adads 1-2 to the headphones without sending it to the CUE.

jim.noseworthy wrote:

Hello:

I don't quite understand.  Right now, my computer's speaker, which is carying the screen reader, is hardwired to adats 1-2.  How to I send adads 1-2 to the headphones without sending it to the CUE.

You don't need to do.
The signals that you send to adat 1/2 can be send to other outputs like the headphone.
Click the headphone output channel for activate it.
Pull the fader of playback channel 1/2 up or doubleclick that fader.
This signal is now routed to the headphone.
The mic input fader also, you can pull it up and you have your mic in the headphone.
Does it work ?

Hi:

The thing is, that the computer output is directly connected to adats 1-2.  But if I did rout the computer's audio to the headphones, that would simply mean that theywould be controled by outs 3-4.

I don't know if I'm making any sense.

By default, the headphones are connected to outputs 3-4.  Can the headphones be connected to outputs 1-2 instead of 3-4?

12 (edited by waedi 2021-04-15 21:54:37)

jim.noseworthy wrote:

Hi:

The thing is, that the computer output is directly connected to adats 1-2.  But if I did rout the computer's audio to the headphones, that would simply mean that theywould be controled by outs 3-4.

You mean the audio of the computer is routed inside Totalmix to the hardware output adat 1/2, correct ?
Yes, the output 3/4 is the headphone output.
Just keep in mind the computer audio can be routed to the headphone and to the loudspeakers and everywhere else at the same time.
When you route audio to a output that doesn't disable the previous routing.

waedi wrote:
jim.noseworthy wrote:

Hi:

You mean the audio of the computer is routed inside Totalmix to the hardware output adat 1/2, correct ?

No, I mean that the computer's internal soundcard is connected to adats 1-2 via cable.

I think that fader grouping will solve my problem if I can gain access to that option with my screen reading software.

I'm afrade that this could be a deal breaker: we'll see.
Yes, the output 3/4 is the headphone output.
Just keep in mind the computer audio can be routed to the headphone and to the loudspeakers and everywhere else at the same time.
When you route audio to a output that doesn't disable the previous routing.

14 (edited by waedi 2021-04-16 00:24:13)

Please god tell me thats not true !
We have to start from scratch !
You have a RME Babyface audio interface and it is connected to your computer and Totalmix is working.
You have a pair of speakers, they are connected to the analog output 1/2 of the Babyface. correct ?
you have a headphone, it is connected to the headphone socket of the Babyface, correct ?
Can you choose the Babyface as system audio device inside the computer operating system ?
Can you choose the Babyface as audio output device inside the screenreader software ?

It is a big mess having onboard soundcard active together with external audio interface.
No wonder it is not working.
Best would be you take the other soundcard out of the computer.
And of course adat cabling from internal soundcard to the external interface is obsolete.

Some people reading this thread getting painful blue patterns on the face from hard face-palming.
You should take the telephone support from RME support or the Facebook call with Lightbox, he is a pro supporter.
I can give you further help here with long postings, no problem, when it is for Totalmix Babyface.
But in your actual system with internal soundcard, this is out of frame for me.
Prepare your informations.
What do you have and where is the target ?
Microphone, Babyface, computer, interface, all working together.
You want to do a Zoom session speaking thru your microphone into Zoom, listening yourself and the screenreader in the headphone, but the Zoom listener shall not receive the screenreader, only your voice.
From there we can can start with the Totalmix support. Checking the signals and routing them to the target.
After all it will work fine.

Hello:

Thanks for your post.

First of all, I am not using monitors at all: I am just using headphones.

secondly, I am patching my computer audio output to adat 1-2 in order to avoid any sampling rate problems that may be caused by the Screen reading speech program if I use internal routing.

I am in touch with lightbox and he has certainly given me some instructive assistance.

I understand that this is not a normal situation but it is what it is. blind folks have to separate their computer speech from the mix while still being able to monitor the speech output through the headphones: otherwise, we'll lose control of the whole project.

Part of the problem is that I don't think that I can access the fader groups creation with the software that I have: we shall see.

At least, I now know how to approach the problem.