1 (edited by johnnysh 2021-06-21 20:42:59)

Topic: Just damaged my Speakers Due To RME Hot Keys Maxing Levels !!

Hello

I have a UCX and have set up total mix to Assign Main Output fader to AN1 & AN2

Last night I moved the Keyboard and Out of Nowhere Max Volume came out of the RME UCX and has destroyed my monitors as I normally have my output master fader set half way

On catching an unknown  key on my keyboard, the output levels went to MAX !!! and I lost control of my output from the main fader, and AN1/2 fader appeared and then became the master but with blaring levels ???? 0db

What the hell !! after 10 seconds of ultra loud volume when RME went to max setting, I unplugged the monitors and I had no idea what had just happened to the RME UCX

Sadly I have damaged my monitors !!!

I have also worked out what happened.....

I accidentally pressed F5 or F6 or F7 or F8 when moving the keyboard and it reset all the faders and maxed the Outputs !!

THESE HOT KEYS ARE DANGEROUS & A REAL PAIN! HOW CAN THEY BE DISABLED ??

I DON'T WANT ANY HOT KEYS ACTIVE ANYWHERE....

How can I disable all the HOT Keys, to prevent this dangerous situation in the future

Once I assign The Main Fader To My Output Channels AN1/AN2

I NEVER WANT TO HIT ANY KEY ON THE KEYBOARD & HAVE THIS RESET

Please can you assist me on disabling all the HOT Keys

Before I have to now purchase new speakers

Thank You

Never Give Up In Striving For Perfection

2 (edited by ramses 2021-06-22 02:26:59)

Re: Just damaged my Speakers Due To RME Hot Keys Maxing Levels !!

Hi Johnny,

I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you with your active speakers. Well, unfortunately what has happened now has happened, so I can only make these suggestions to you in the hope that this doesn't happen again.

This sticky article describes e.g. well how to take precautions: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25399

The solution you need for your setup is either such an attenuator or a monitor controller.

I bought these attenuators as test for another setup and kept them as reserve, just for the case that I need them in the future. They are switchable between -10, -20 and -30dB, have a robust design and don't cost much: https://www.thomann.de/de/jts_ma_123.htm.

In the past (at the beginning) and before getting the ADI-2 Pro (which also works as kind of monitor controller in my setup) I wasn't willed to spend money on a monitor controller and didn't know the solution with the attenuators, so I had to help myself ... here a few tips:

When buying loudspeakers, make sure that they can be connected analogue and have a volume pot if possible.  With a digital connection you don't have a volume pot, you always have 0dB full volume.
Apart from attenuators and monitor controllers, a volume pot (if possible) is the safest way to reduce the volume regardless of the state and settings of the recording interface.
This can be accompanied by setting all analog outputs for active monitors and phones to a lower / to the lowest reference level, which reduces the overall volume.

You can also take a little precaution in TotalMix FX by first creating a setup in which all speakers and headphone outputs in the control room are set to a comfortable initial volume. I then proactively save these settings to all other 7 snapshots. In the 8th snapshot, I also mute all HW outputs as "emergency off".

This should be accompanied with the following TM FX settings in preferences:
1. [x] Always init DSP devices with TM FX settings
2. snapshots do not load "--".
Then the recording interface is initialised with the TM FX settings when the computer is started and you login and when recalling other TM FX snapshots, then this predefined (low) value is being used, so that you are on the safe side.

If you use your snapshots mainly for routing purposes, then the use of attenuators or a monitor controller is required, so that the volume doesn't change when recalling snapshots.

Without attenuators or monitor controller be careful, you can still set the wrong fader to 0dB if you are in a hurry or if you erraneously double click to the faders in the TotalMix FX control room (or active monitors or phones).

Therefore there is no other way, you really have to take this problem seriously and take precautions with e.g. the purchase of attenuators or using a monitor controller to solve such level mismatches.

Also on the ADI-2 Pro (which always remembers the laste state / volume) I decided to set the last button "Setup" to "Mute all", because I can then immediately mute monitors and headphones with a practised hand movement. And you should practise such emergency off hand movements.

Additionally I stored the snapshot values to the preset 1 of my recording interface just for the case if needed there in stand-alone operation mode.

You can also store the settings in the Workspace Quick Select Slots, if you use slot number 1, 2, 3 then you can quickly restore your TM FX snapshots with the key combination ALT-1, ALT-2, ALT-3 ..

Last but not least I organizedy, that I can reach the on/off switch of my power strip easily, also kind of emergency off which might be useful.

I hope I could give you some helpful suggestions, cheer up!

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hello,

sorry to hear this, but a phenomenon like this does indicate an initial level mismatch. Is there no volume control on the speakers? Which output level reference did you set on the UCX like outputs?

As indicated, an external attenuator can help avoid this, if there is no other way to avoid having to digitally attenuate so much for good levels. Also see https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25399

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

> I accidentally pressed F5 or F6 or F7 or F8 when moving the keyboard and it reset all the faders and maxed the Outputs !!

Just to clarify: F4 to F8 load Snapshot 1 to 5, so they don't do anything unusual.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by johnnysh 2021-06-22 21:28:07)

Hello Guys

Thank you for feedback

I have taken your advice and reset mix 2 - 8 to all OFF (Infinity)

and saved these settings !!! Infinity should be the Output Levels by default !!

To be honest I feel for safety reasons by default, the levels of these mix banks should ALL be OFF (Infinity), and then the user should set the various desired mix levels for each mix bank,

But Not Allow Total Mix to set all outputs to 0db by default.... Why ???

To have all mix 1-8 output levels set to 0db by default is dangerous!

I appreciate what you are saying about attenuators but I have my amplifier fully open, level POTs fully clockwise 0R to avoid added front end signal distortion, then I use the Total FX master fader about 45-65%, this has been working fine for me.

It all sounded wonderful until I hot those awful HOTKEY F4-F8 and did lasting damage !

Those Hot Keys setting mix banks default levels to 0db are dangerous !!!

If you not going to allow the users to disable Hot Keys in Total Mix, Though Really This Should Be A Must Option !!  DISABLE ALL HOT KEYS...

Then please ensure NO Output Levels by default are 0db !!! Make them all Infinity By default

This will save Destroying Speakers and Amplifiers when hitting various keys on the keyboard !!!

Regards

I accidentally pressed F5 or F6 or F7 or F8 when moving the keyboard and it reset all the faders and maxed the Outputs !!

Just to clarify: F4 to F8 load Snapshot 1 to 5, so they don't do anything unusual.

No ... I Did Not Do Anything Wrong !!

But the current design is wrong & dangerous !! By Driving High Levels 0db by default !!

Let the user set the mix output level from (default ... Infinity) to the desired output level for each mix bank.

Rather than me now having to TURN OFF every fader in every mix bank and save each mix bank so all fader are set to infinity !

please make all faders in all mix banks to infinity by default !! Much Safer and More Logical

Regards

That is not logical at all and will make our support and hotline answer only one question a million times per day - why don't I hear sound? Using lowered fader settings is also not logical, users expect a transparent (out of the way) mixer as default.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi
This is my usage.
Whenever I buy an RME product, I assign minus infinity dB to every snapshot.
Then set "Do not load to Main / Phones Volume" and also set "Disable double click fader actions".
There is nothing more scary than the sound coming out at 0 dB.
Thanks.

johnnysh wrote:

Hello Guys

Thank you for feedback

I have taken your advice and reset mix 2 - 8 to all OFF (Infinity)

and saved these settings !!! Infinity should be the Output Levels by default !!

To be honest I feel for safety reasons by default, the levels of these mix banks should ALL be OFF (Infinity), and then the user should set the various desired mix levels for each mix bank,

I appreciate what you are saying about attenuators but I have my amplifier fully open, level POTs fully clockwise 0R to avoid added front end signal distortion, then I use the Total FX master fader about 45-65%, this has been working fine for me.

It all sounded wonderful until I hot those awful HOTKEY F4-F8 and did lasting damage !

Those Hot Keys setting mix banks default levels to 0db are dangerous !!!

If you not going to allow the users to disable Hot Keys in Total Mix, Though Really This Should Be A Must Option !!  DISABLE ALL HOT KEYS...

Then please ensure NO Output Levels by default are 0db !!! Make them all Infinity By default

This will save Destroying Speakers and Amplifiers when hitting various keys on the keyboard !!!

Regards

No ... I Did Not Do Anything Wrong !!

But the current design is wrong & dangerous !! By Driving High Levels 0db by default !!

Let the user set the mix output level from (default ... Infinity) to the desired output level for each mix bank.

Rather than me now having to TURN OFF every fader in every mix bank and save each mix bank so all fader are set to infinity !

please make all faders in all mix banks to infinity by default !! Much Safer and More Logical

Regards

Just a RME user here. I am truly sorry to hear of you mishap.
Your idea of setting the amps to max is dead wrong though, it has no positive effect, only risks as you painfully found out. It is like mixing a live concert with the main output at -30db and hoping no one will bump the fader. Of course it will eventually happen. In the digital domain it is even more dangerous, your computer can always accidentally spew out noise at 0db with a software crash or fault. If you have not set proper gain staging and\or have no analogue way of killing the sound, like a volume controller, something like this can happen way to easy, either by human or software error.
I hope the damage is not to big!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

NientG wrote:

Hi
This is my usage.
Then set "Do not load to Main / Phones Volume" and also set "Disable double click fader actions".
Thanks.

"0 db" isn't "loud" inherently. Everything depends on analog output level settings and the external gear. If 0dB produces levels that are potentially damaging for gear and ears, then the whole setup is not configured well, as I already said above. If different analog level reference settings don't help, or if monitors don't have any level settings, an external analog attenuator will be useful, also because it will provide a very quick way to mute signals.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

johnnysh wrote:

and saved these settings! Infinity should be the Output Levels by default!
(...)

Muting outputs initially could cause much greater issues, i.e. if someone were to accidentally double-click on a fader and set it to 0 dB.

Please mind that 0dB is not "loud" inherently - it's analog level settings and specifcations that make the volume. If your speakers do not have analog level control, please consider an analog attenuator.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I don't think the 0db default needs to be argued about. I would rather look at disabling the keybinds by default, but I imagine there are many years-long users that expect them to be there. On the other hand, I think it's important to at least acknowledge that these keys can be pressed accidentally and cause great harm.

For me it's important to at least be able to disable/unset the keybinds. Right now I don't see any other way than changing these to other fuctions that I don't necessarily want.

I feel quite symphatetic here, because after reading this and checking my own setup (only snapshot 1 and 2 in use, others at default), hitting the wrong key here might actually blow my ears off too. It's crystal clear now, but until now it never dawned on me to make sure to mute every other snapshot, but I wasn't really aware of the default keybinds, or at least didn't connect the dots properly.

Sorry to hear that. I've been in similar scenarios, and it's the worst kind of issue for a musician.

Some tips, apart from what's already covered - reduce the monitors overall volume such that 0dB is not too loud and try to keep the mains out halfway through during monitoring, and rarely at 0dB. Goal here is, it should be loud at 0dB but not dangerously so.

Another idea is to slap a hardware compressor before the signal hits the monitors and this is what I've done. Set the threshold and knee correctly and the compressor won't kick in during normal operation. When it exceeds a certain threshold you'll see the lights go active so you know it's on.

I'm now weening off of it after adjusting my mains out though. Planning on re-purposing it as a vocal compressor now.

While the incident is regrettable, please consider that for this to happen, something had to be significantly mismatched in terms of levels to begin with. It should not be necessary to attenuate the output so much that full levels wold cause actual damage. This should have been set up differently.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

14 (edited by johnnysh 2021-06-24 19:00:57)

Hello Guys

Thanks for you reply

Nothing in my setup is that miss matched !! I'm using -10dBV output setting on the sound card
and I use the Output fader at 50% -75 % on average but 0db is a bit too loud! Although I have not killed the speakers totally, they need replacing as the don't sound as pristine as they once did, before Total Mix maxed outputs to 0db for about 10 seconds before I killed the power.

I like running my setup this way, as the sound quality is crystal clear and sounds amazing. I design electronics and i know that the least resistance in any signal path ensures a cleaner signal for source to destination in the analog world. Every components generates noise and distortion, Resistors are notoriously noisy.

Though I appreciate what people are saying, about running at 0db

But lets get real, moving a computer keyboard when in Total Mix and catching function key by mistake should NOT destroy my speakers.

It's a crazy approach that RME engineers think their valued customers should by default have to set all output mix banks to infinity ! Just to prevent LOUD 0db outputs when you least expect it !

Really ? poor show.

At least have some sympathy and reply back with "Yes, thank you for bringing your issue to our attention, we apologize for this inconvenience and speaker loss you have suffered, to safe guard any future customers suffering the same problems. The very least we can do is add an option in Total Mix software to disable Hot Keys"

This reply below is totally wrong !! and very arrogant, this man should have a little more compassion for RME customers and Never dismiss any suggestions they put forward

GIVE AN OPTION TO DISABLE HOT KEYS !! , OR EVEN BETTER SET ALL OUTPUTS LOW BY DEFAULT

OUTPUTS @0db BY DEFAULT ARE DANGEROUS

That is not logical at all and will make our support and hotline answer only one question a million times per day - why don't I hear sound? Using lowered fader settings is also not logical, users expect a transparent (out of the way) mixer as default.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

WRONG... IT IS VERY LOGICAL.....

if you are worried about RME support and people hearing no sound, set all outputs to -30db by default !

Then there will be sound, but it will not be damaging expensive items !

Worry about customers damaging there expensive studio kit when using Total Mix software

Matthias Carstens, you really should consider RME Customers with more compassion and have a better manor towards customer relations

You have not once replied with any consideration towards my financial loss and what I have suffered due to the way Total Mix and Hot Keys work. I invested in RME because I believe it is the best !

Though users having to set all outputs to infinity just to safe guard max 0db outputs IS WRONG !!

And I am NOT the only person saying this !!

Hi
This is my usage.
Thanks.

I Rest My Case, could not agree more....

another person

Sorry to hear that. I've been in similar scenarios, and it's the worst kind of issue for a musician.

My final thoughts

With any system... It's better to start with No Signal/No Sound and raise faders to desired levels to get sound, than to alternate/switch options/keys/mix banks and have MAXIMUM levels routed to any output !!

even more so when you least expect it !

It's a NO Brainer.....

Regards

what type of speakers are the ones damaged? What signal was on the speakers, music, what music, etc.?

Professional speakers (active ones) have protection in general.

With passive speakers rigth gain configuration limits power.

Hello,

I have to repeat it, 0 dB is not "loud" - it's just the maximum digital level. The rest is a matter of analog circuitry.
If in your setup, levels at 0 dB were just "a bit too loud", then it should not be possible for that to cause any damage.
A setup where levels would accidentally jump from -30 to full level would be much more likely to do so.

If now you say the speakers aren't really damaged to the point where they no longer work, then it's really hard to tell what exactly happened.

And it would really be most logical to initially set up the system in a way that will prevent such issues, by making sure maximum levels all around do not cause damage. If that is not possible to set with only the interface and the speakers, then an analog attenuator will help, as it is quick and foolproof.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

+1.

If a mixer at 0db ref level results in full blast output power to your (thus overpowered) main speakers either your setup is overpowered or you miss an (important) attenuation step in the D to A conversion.

My advice is NEVER putting a soundcard output directly to an amplified monitor/speaker without intermediate control. This control will bring safety for your (g)ears.

ADI2, Digiface, ARC

Hi

@johnnysh: to give you a valid advice, please describe exactly your chain from UCX to speakers. And the settings of it (gains etc.)

0dBfs says nothing, in my setup it may be from totally quiet up to 120dB SPL depending on the volume control which is not in Totalmix.

Peter