1 (edited by bjornar 2021-06-26 01:16:09)

Topic: Latency/sync issues between HDSP PCI and HDSP Cardbus in same machine

Hi,

My DAW setup is as follows:

- i7-2600K
- Windows 10 v1909 (updated with latest patches)
- Multiface on HDSP Cardbus, connected to Ricoh Cardbus->PCI adapter
- Digiface on HDSP PCI v1.8 card (BOOT jumper is closed)
- 3x 8 channel ADAT preamps connected to Digiface
- Sync via Wordclock, using properly terminated 75 Ohm cabling
- DAWs tested: Cakewalk 2021-04 & Reaper
- RME driver version 4.38

I am experiencing erratic latency/sync issues between the cards. At first boot things normally work fine. I usually leave my DAW on, to continue on projects next day. I turn off the power to my display, RME breakout boxes etc. When I turn it on again, therere are multiple issues:

1.  Routing in DAW between channels of one of the interfaces and the other (say, e.g., input ADAT 12 from Digiface, master out Multiface Analog 1/2) incurs a huge latency (like 4-500 ms or so)
2. Sometimes routing (in DAW) like in point 1 does not work at all, as long as I'm monitoring 1 channel on Multiface and 1 channel on Digiface at the same time.

The only way to make it work normally again is either:

1. Pulling out and re-plugging the HDSP Cardbus card or
2. Rebooting the PC

Does anyone have any idea what the cause of the problem can be? Could it be related to having two bus-mastering PCI devices at the same time, and some conflict?

I used to use a little different setup until recently, where none such issues existed at all:

- The same RME HDSP Cardbus in Cardbus->PCI-adapter
- RME HDSPe Expresscard in Expresscard->PCIe adapter

The reason I now am using the Cardbus + PCI combo instead, is that the HDSPe Expresscard seems to have a mechanical issue where it often loses connection to the PC, requiring many reinsertions before working again. Contact cleaning did not help, I think it's the black plastic around the Expresscard connector that's worn down a little that perhaps causes a misalignment or curvature.

2 (edited by vinark 2021-06-25 16:34:00)

Re: Latency/sync issues between HDSP PCI and HDSP Cardbus in same machine

Are the cards synced too? If not this is what to expect as the buffers slowly go out of sync. So you need a clock carrying connection between the 2 hdsp"s

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

3 (edited by bjornar 2021-06-26 00:41:24)

They are synced using wordclock, with Digiface as master. Using properly terminated 75 Ohm cabling. And SyncCheck is OK (Sync) on all inputs.

vinark wrote:

Are the cards synced too? If not this is what to expect as the buffers slowly go out of sync. So you need a clock carrying connection between the 2 hdsp"s

> I usually leave my DAW on, to continue on projects next day. I turn off the power to my display, RME breakout boxes etc. When I turn it on again, therere are multiple issues:

I don't think it is necessary to wait one night to reproduce this error. So just turn off Digiface and Multiface power and back on - should show the same issue. Does it?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes, that is correct. Just need to turn off and on power to Multiface (which is connected to Cardbus HDSP) to reproduce the issue.

MC wrote:

> I usually leave my DAW on, to continue on projects next day. I turn off the power to my display, RME breakout boxes etc. When I turn it on again, therere are multiple issues:

I don't think it is necessary to wait one night to reproduce this error. So just turn off Digiface and Multiface power and back on - should show the same issue. Does it?

This is the "flat connector" Cardbus card, by the way, if that has anything to say. All cards are on their respective latest firmware.

bjornar wrote:

Yes, that is correct. Just need to turn off and on power to Multiface (which is connected to Cardbus HDSP) to reproduce the issue.