Topic: RME UCX II Failure in bootloader

Hello everyone, my rme ucx ii after about a month of use pops up this message while on start up.

''Failure in bootloader''
    ''RAM error detected''
         '' 02000200'''

Re: RME UCX II Failure in bootloader

It needs to be sent back, sorry. Please contact your dealer or local distributor.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by purebits 2022-01-25 16:34:18)

Just purchased one UCX II (and I was very happy to have found maybe the last available in europe). Connected to power the first time and after just 1 minute:

Failure in bootloader
RAM error detected
    FF00FF00

I use RME products since almost 20 years and they still work sad

is there anything to do to unlock the UCX II?
It's better to send it back to dealer (considering that there are no other units available) or to RME for repair/exchange?

YES!!! the same problem with my UCX II.

Failure in bootloader error 20002000
I just bought it a couple of months ago and just yesterday this came up and there is no way to remove it.  I had the message first and after turning it off and on it came back to life.  But today when I turned it on it didn't work anymore.  just that error message 20002000. I'm desperate.  I do not know what to do.

The problem persists. 
I am aware that there is no stock in all of Europe. 

If I contact my local dealer, will they give me a refund? or will they try to send it to Germany to repair it?…

I would like to have a message.  I have a lot of work to do sad

The unit will be repaired and returned to you.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Why is this happening problem happening ? Bad memory chip ?

Oh ok thanks.
I will contact the store tomorrow. 
it's good to know that it will at least be repaired. 

however I would have preferred a Fireface 802, It is much simpler and more direct to use. 
I don't really use any of the interface.  just as I/O (and AD/DA) for all my external gear. 
It's a shame they don't have stock in stores yet.  It would have been great to have gotten just that one sad

Thermaltake wrote:

post 4 of this thread:  https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=34532

appears to be a soldering/manufacturing issue. it happens. hopefully you can get it fixed quickly.

-Steve

10 (edited by Thermaltake 2022-03-01 07:00:35)

sbcrikey wrote:
Thermaltake wrote:

post 4 of this thread:  https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=34532

appears to be a soldering/manufacturing issue. it happens. hopefully you can get it fixed quickly.

-Steve

Thanks.

I am still waiting for my set of new screws for UCX II, they are all factory damaged, and now it's been 3 months since I report this problem to my store, and they told me they report this to RME, but that they are extra slow with shipping them new screws. Imagine screws so tiny, they can't even send them via UPS or just regular postage.... If they did, they would probably already come in this 3 months.

RME is starting to get kind of sloppy. Older devices only had some minor problems with supplies over time, but this new ones I think had more problems on other parts of card.

Thermaltake wrote:

Thanks.

I am still waiting for my set of new screws for UCX II, they are all factory damaged, and now it's been 3 months since I report this problem to my store, and they told me they report this to RME, but that they are extra slow with shipping them new screws. Imagine screws so tiny, they can't even send them via UPS or just regular postage.... If they did, they would probably already come in this 3 months.

RME is starting to get kind of sloppy. Older devices only had some minor problems with supplies over time, but this new ones I think had more problems on other parts of card.

Are you sure you received an original RME Audio Interface UCX II from the retailer?

Hello, I would like to ask, how long would a repair like this normally take?  Today I spoke with the store that sold me this UCX II in Paris.  I will send it tomorrow morning.  My question was to know how long I should postpone my mixing jobs in the studio to give some approximate dates to my clients.  thanks for your help and messages

RME Support wrote:

I'm afraid I can't specify exactly. It's always good to have some kind of backup solution ready for cases like this...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Mono Vladd wrote:

Hello, I would like to ask, how long would a repair like this normally take?  Today I spoke with the store that sold me this UCX II in Paris.  I will send it tomorrow morning.  My question was to know how long I should postpone my mixing jobs in the studio to give some approximate dates to my clients.  thanks for your help and messages

RME Support wrote:

Mine is in Germany since 1 month, and I expect  atleast another month is needed due to supply short..
Sadly we have to wait and hope.

15 (edited by Thermaltake 2022-03-02 06:52:16)

Andreas1 wrote:
Thermaltake wrote:

Thanks.

Are you sure you received an original RME Audio Interface UCX II from the retailer?

Of course. I bought it in local store that is Retail shop for RME cards. Even MC contacted me about this problem to give SN to investigate. They call me yesterday (funny just when I wrote this) and told me to bring my card in shop for screw replacement I hope they are original screws, cause I also have replacement screws like ton of them at home, but I want original ones, cause this unit is not cheap and I want it in top condition, it's like two months old lol

E885 wrote:
Mono Vladd wrote:

RME Support wrote:

Mine is in Germany since 1 month, and I expect  atleast another month is needed due to supply short..

I asked too yesterday to italian distributor, that sent in Germany my UCX II about 1 month ago and they told me that at least/maybe/hope for april something will happen. They offered me also, due to these circumstances and that my unit was broken since day 0, to replace the unit with something other brand available in the shop where I purchased it, but nothing else can compare an RME, so I will wait patiently...

Will the retailer not lend you anything while being repaired. If it’s for work then they should. Years ago I had a Yamaha n12 which had to be repaired under warranty (they ended up replacing) and they loaned me an interface.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

it is logical that someone has a backup but unfortunately it will not be of the same quality.  apparently according to the other customers, this wait will be months.  I have no choice.  I will have to try to ask for a refund or try to exchange it for another product.  it is unfortunate that RME has logistical problems with its products and interfaces.  I understand you.  but I am not willing to wait more than a month for a repair.  Thanks anyway for your messages

RME Support wrote:

I'm afraid I can't specify exactly. It's always good to have some kind of backup solution ready for cases like this...

That's the problem.  I can not wait that long.  so I will try to ask for a replacement in the store with another alternative

purebits wrote:
E885 wrote:
Mono Vladd wrote:

I asked too yesterday to italian distributor, that sent in Germany my UCX II about 1 month ago and they told me that at least/maybe/hope for april something will happen. They offered me also, due to these circumstances and that my unit was broken since day 0, to replace the unit with something other brand available in the shop where I purchased it, but nothing else can compare an RME, so I will wait patiently...

I have been reading this thread with great interest, as, you guessed it, I had the same boot loader error message pop up. I have only had the UCX ii for a few weeks. It seems like I can have my money back from the retailer, OR they can send my unit to RME for repair. So, my question is: Has anyone had their unit repaired and returned yet? Any experiences with a repaired unit?

I've received mine back repaired and so far so good. I've been very satisfied with it even though it took about month to get it back. It was well worth the wait.

I 'm waiting from beginning of february (my unit worked just few seconds from unpacking). Some days ago italian distributor told me that the april repair forecast will be moved to at least mid-May

This is definitely a common issue with some lots of the UCX II. There's another forum about this issue there I replied:

hi, everyone.
I bought an UCX II 6 weeks ago and today I got the same message while booting:

Failure in bootloader
RAM error detected
FFFFFFFF

I contacted the retailer an they are getting in touch with RME support. I use this for my daily work and it is a shame is happening so often by what I can tell on this forum. I live in Colombia so I'm guessing it is going to be a pain the repair/exchange of the unit. Has any mor of you been able to solve this? is it maybe an software issue, I have noticed that the unit is recognized by Totalmix and the Fireface USB settings.

Hi there. I've just had the same issue with my UCX II(serial 24069514). Turn it on before a gig and got:

Failure in bootloader
RAM error detected

Digital I/O were working fine on Totalmix and DAW (with AES) but no audio coming in or out of the analog I/O.

I've contacted with Exosound here in Buenos Aires, and waiting for a response.

I was thinking maybe a recall is needed for this interface, it is so good but this is a serious issue.

I think the RAM error is due to a manufacturing defect on the circuit board, as two of the lines between the DSP and the DRAM are faulty.

https://imgur.com/gXcMFVk

The defects probably occurred in batches during the manufacturing process of the circuit board.

I hope the circuit board manufacturer has addressed the problem.

26 (edited by aroom 2023-01-20 10:53:04)

so all board labeled rev 1.1 are at risk ? do I void the warranty if I open my unit ? I really wish to know if my ucx II is reliable or not, because right now I can really tour with it knowing that it can fail any day...

edit : seems like the issue is not with the printed board

kimata wrote:

I think the RAM error is due to a manufacturing defect on the circuit board, as two of the lines between the DSP and the DRAM are faulty.

https://imgur.com/gXcMFVk

The defects probably occurred in batches during the manufacturing process of the circuit board.

I hope the circuit board manufacturer has addressed the problem.

That picture is quite puzzling, as we are not aware of such a PCB error (the reason for some units failing was soldering). Can you send us the serial number of unit and PCB - the photo is not sharp enough to read the barcode.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I'm sorry ... I took a clear photo again and it seems that the adhered flux is reflected and appears to have broken the wire.

https://imgur.com/a/ThyWtBK

It seems that it is incorrect to say that the electronic board is defective. My apologies.

Thanks for the clarification.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello,

My Fireface UCXII has the same error message. Do you know if the spare parts problem is resolved? The model is not available in stores like Thomann or Music Store

It is currently shipping, simply contact Audio AG.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

It is currently shipping, simply contact Audio AG.

Damn. I just got this message that I was afraid of before I bought this audiointerface.
Failure in bootloader.
    ''RAM error detected

The device has been running for almost a year and now i got this message on blue screen. The only thing is, I unplugged it, plugged it back in and it started up normally. But as I understand appearence of  this message is not good sign and I should expect this message to appear again  later or even after the warranty period has expired? Or can I count on the manufacturer's warranty in this case and the official distributor will be obliged to send the card to you for replacement?

Exactly. If the unit is one of those first units that can have this error then we will fix it even after two years of official warranty. If you send your serial number to RME support they can verify if this is such a unit.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

34 (edited by Selva 2023-08-18 11:32:31)

MC wrote:

Exactly. If the unit is one of those first units that can have this error then we will fix it even after two years of official warranty. If you send your serial number to RME support they can verify if this is such a unit.

Thank you for fast response, MC

I think I'm lucky for the reason that after this error my device rebooted and now it works. But I would like to know, and maybe you seen such case before. Could it be that this error  have appeared for another reason and is not related to soldering issue?  Just like a single time glitch in the firmware, or is it still likely to indicate a possible future dead device?
Asking because everyone who wrote about this error could no longer absolutely do anything with their device, it was just dead, but mine rebooted successfully.
Anyway i`ll ask about serial number in support. Just need to take back a box with sticker from village.

The serial number is on the back of the unit...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The serial number is on the back of the unit...

omg, i was looking for it on bottom panel