Topic: RME ADI-2 DAC FS -> PURIFI Amps

Hello,

I'm a happy new owner and really like the device. I've read a lot of stuff in this forum. My "chain" :

PC/Android Phone ->USB-> RME ADI-2 DAC FS -> XLR -> Audiophonics Purifi Monoblocks-> KEF R3

Sounds absolutely awesome ! I'm really Impressed.

My question : The input buffer boards on the purifi amps' gain settings can be changed. From audiophonics website:

Gain of + 7.2dB, for a total of 20dB (default) - Maximum power reached with a signal of ~ 4.2V RMS

Gain of + 12.5dB, for a total of 25.3dB - Maximum power reached with a signal of ~ 2.2V RMS

Bypass: in this case the signal passes directly from the inputs to the modules, allowing the lowest possible gain of 12.8dB. This mode can be interesting when using a powerful preamplifier, capable of driving a load of 2 to 4kOhm and reaching a voltage of ~ 10V RMS

I Listen at -30 to Max-20 (very silent recordings) all the time. Auto Ref on the RME is on. Would it be beneficial to use the bypass Option on the amps?

Thank you very much in advance !

Greets
Thank you very much in advance

2 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-11 05:33:37)

Re: RME ADI-2 DAC FS -> PURIFI Amps

Christopher.ludley wrote:

Hello,

I'm a happy new owner and really like the device. I've read a lot of stuff in this forum. My "chain" :

PC/Android Phone ->USB-> RME ADI-2 DAC FS -> XLR -> Audiophonics Purifi Monoblocks-> KEF R3

Sounds absolutely awesome ! I'm really Impressed.

My question : The input buffer boards on the purifi amps' gain settings can be changed. From audiophonics website:

Gain of + 7.2dB, for a total of 20dB (default) - Maximum power reached with a signal of ~ 4.2V RMS

Gain of + 12.5dB, for a total of 25.3dB - Maximum power reached with a signal of ~ 2.2V RMS

Bypass: in this case the signal passes directly from the inputs to the modules, allowing the lowest possible gain of 12.8dB. This mode can be interesting when using a powerful preamplifier, capable of driving a load of 2 to 4kOhm and reaching a voltage of ~ 10V RMS

I Listen at -30 to Max-20 (very silent recordings) all the time. Auto Ref on the RME is on. Would it be beneficial to use the bypass Option on the amps?

Thank you very much in advance !

Greets
Thank you very much in advance

Auto Ref set to on is the right choice, Gain of + 7.2dB, for a total of 20dB (default) - Maximum power reached with a signal of ~ 4.2V RMS is good for XLR.

Start with a lower level at the DAC volume control, you can test which setting is better for the amp/sound you hear. (The DAC sound quality is the same at any level it ouputs)

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

3 (edited by KaiS 2022-01-11 07:09:21)

... My "chain" :

... My question : The input buffer boards on the purifi amps' gain settings can be changed. From audiophonics website:

As you are at -20 dBr for quiet recordings, the “Bypass” option fits best.

Look here for a setup guide and explanation, CASE 2 is for you:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 21#p161721

KaiS wrote:

... My "chain" :

... My question : The input buffer boards on the purifi amps' gain settings can be changed. From audiophonics website:

Is it to maximize the benefit of the DAC's S/N? also shorter paths at the amp?

5 (edited by KaiS 2022-01-11 07:53:25)

Johannes AU wrote:
KaiS wrote:

... My "chain" :

Is it to maximize the benefit of the DAC's S/N? also shorter paths at the amp?

Yes, both are covert beneficial in “Bypass”.
Nice that his amp has this option.

Hi Chris!

Welcome to the group, and it seems certain that your Amplifiers "Bypass" function would allow you to more fully exploit the ADI-2 DACs incredibly high SNR. 

Enjoy your new RME!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Thank you very much for your input ! I'm going for the bypass Option:)

Chris!

Added note:  You bought from the Top of the List!   Your new RME will not only impress today, but also well into the future!    Setting an optimal level is only the Tip of the Iceberg.  wink

Even with the most pedestrian DAB streams, My "old" RME works day in/out to make me smile! 

You've chosen well.

Enjoy!

Curt

9 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-12 06:41:36)

Curt962 wrote:

Chris!

Added note:  You bought from the Top of the List!   Your new RME will not only impress today, but also well into the future!    Setting an optimal level is only the Tip of the Iceberg.  wink

Even with the most pedestrian DAB streams, My "old" RME works day in/out to make me smile! 

You've chosen well.

Enjoy!

Curt

No one will bite the dust with RME, it recalls how MC moves his eyebrows, RME is confident that their customer will carry a smile on the face while listening via the RME.

Enjoy and Smile!

Thank you very much for your input ! I'm going for the bypass Option:)

Hi Christopher,

I had to read it twice before believing. My setup is incredibly close to yours. I am using a RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE to feed an AUDIOPHONICS HPA-S400ET SPARKOS EDITION and then to KEF R3s and 2xSVS PB1000 (the actual reason I bought the PRO version and of course to be able to do convolution outside Roon - which I hate!).

Have you been able to do any comparative (I know this would be terribly complicated!) with and without the Audiophonics "Bypass"?!

Given the purity of RME ADI-2 PRO sound I am also tempted to do that and let the RME choose the best level, since I am also not listening very loud.

I am on my second day of being an RME ADI-2 PRO  owner and damn! call me impressed. And I am not coming from any previous junk level of DACs but these Germans... Nailed it!

I have already started using the EQ settings to create crossovers on Main Out 1/2 and Phones Out 3/4 and the lows (from the KEFs R3 and SVS subs) sound so much tighter and congruent.

Dehn,

Make a Nice Place for your new RME, as you're going to have it a LONG time.   In effect, Yes, the "Germans" Did Nail it, with a superb product that not only retains value, but also delivers premium performance year after year in any use environment. 

PS:  I really like SVS.  They do things right. They're a perfect companion for your new RME.

Enjoy!

Curt

(The DAC sound quality is the same at any level it ouputs)

Thank you for pointing this out. Knowing this fact, I put my Van Alstine preamp between the RME ADI-2 FS and the power amplifier. I set the preamp volume near maximum to get the most of its character, then using the RME control for desired volume. The result is excellent.

Hi,
I don't know  what is the model of your ADI-2, nor how many analog sources go to your preamp.
Personnally, my only analog source is vinyle (with DIY RIAA pre-pre), entering my PRO-FS-R-BE.
I removed the preamp and was surprised by the improvement.
I don't need a preamp anymore,
Just have a try : ADI direct to Purifi (in my case, BOXEM, with commutable gain levels)
Regards,

14 (edited by KaiS 2024-01-13 09:36:04)

“…DAC sound quality is the same at any level it ouputs”

This expression needs to be seen in the context it was made, see below.

ADI-2’s optimum SNR is maintained in the range of +3 to -26 dBr Volume setting (Auto Ref Level: On).

Dialing Volume further down there’s a proportional reduction in SNR.
As ADI-2 starts with an exceptional high SNR, noise will usually not become audible even with Volume very far down.

Exception: extreme level mismatched configurations.

In this case different settings of connected devices:
or passive attenuators are the solution:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 42#p120442

Golden rule: if you don’t hear noise, there’s no noise problem.

Johannes AU wrote:

Auto Ref set to on is the right choice, Gain of + 7.2dB, for a total of 20dB (default) - Maximum power reached with a signal of ~ 4.2V RMS is good for XLR.

Start with a lower level at the DAC volume control, you can test which setting is better for the amp/sound you hear. (The DAC sound quality is the same at any level it ouputs)

I've done a lot of testing with eval-1.
The best setting was to use it as-is, with no gain modulation.
The only change I made was to adjust the input impedance to 48K ohm.