Topic: Fireface 400 cannot install drivers.

Hello there.I just got a Fireface 400 and after several times of trying and trying to install i just gave up. I've tried 4 different firewire adapters two with VIA chipset and two with TI.Also tried different firewire cables.(i also have a motu ultralite mk2 firewire and works with every card adapter) Tried the Legacy drivers too,tried to use another computer with windows 7,a macbook pro with high sierra 10.1.13. All of the firewire adapters are showing up in device manager but under sounds i dont't have any soundcard . Tried via action option in device manager to add a legacy hardware and select RME ,but after i install it i got an error saying windows found the drivers but cannot install them and RME shows with a exclamation sign next to it. Should i try to reinstall windows?

Re: Fireface 400 cannot install drivers.

> but under sounds i dont't have any soundcard

Do you talk about Windows ?

Did you follow the instructions in the manual to install the RME ASIO driver ?
If yes the next step is to create a WDM device in the driver settings dialog as explained in the manual.

After creating a WDM device for the I/O port where your active monitors are connected to, usually AN1/2,
and settings it in the next TAB there to be a speaker device
then you will find a speaker device in the windows sound settings, which has been created dynamically.
This you need to configure/set as Windows default sound device.
Now Windows and all other applications which do not support ASIO can play audio through this default sound device.
For all other applications which support ASIO (like e.g. DAWs, some audio player, etc) load / use the ASIO driver
which directly accesses the your recording interface, bypassing the Windows sound infrastructure for highest stability, quality and lowest latency.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

See also https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 60#p181760

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Further information how to proceed next, regarding setup / operation / use of your recording solution and the digital mixer TotalMix FX: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=34394

5 (edited by ovebarajos 2022-01-18 18:58:12)

Yes,i'm on windows 10 pro.THE RME FIREFACE settings is not showing up! i can see it in the taskbar but if i click on the icon nothing happens so i cannot create a wdm device.

And yes my gpu works at X16 slot and i use only PCIe x1 cards with recomended chipset.

7 (edited by ramses 2022-01-18 19:16:41)

If the FW driver shows up under Windows in device manager is fine.
But the recording interface also needs to show up in device manager.
And do I understand right that this is not the case ?
Did you try another Firewire cable?
Maybe the FF400 is defective?

According to manual ch 5.1;

The red HOST LED lights up when the Fireface 400 has been switched on. It operates as error LED, in case the FireWire connection hasn't been initialised yet, or has been interrupted (error, cable not connected etc.).

How is the status of the red HOST LED? Does it light up on start ? Does it stay on ?
What is exactly the status of LED during these major "phases":
- power on
- windows boot
- login into your windows account ?

There is no problem with my cables or with the firewire adaptors. As i said i tried many cables and many fw adaptors.Red light is always on.

Idk what to check on the ff400,should i try to go to a electronist so he can check the firewire ports on the back of the interface or..? If i use it with back swich on BUS power is lights up but the same with host led always on.If i use in external mode also the original power adaptor works.I also tried in external mode with the firewire cable on cause i thought it doesn't have enough power,but theeeee same .

There is only one post on the internet with somebody that repaired a FF400 .I think i have this problem .

|The FireWire HOST issue was caused by ESD which zapped the ESD protection on first port as well as it took down the FireWire controller IC."

http://vintageaudiorepairs.eu/?p=423