Re: Firmware Update ADI-2 DAC 78 / 48 and ADI-2 Pro 262 / 112

Scaling of the Y-axis in the frequency graph (Bode plot)

Up to now max. +-12 dB can be displayed. By overlapping EQs this display range is exceeded.

A new parameter in the EQ menu:
"Scaling Bode plot [dB] 12 | 24"

For the next hardware version of the ADI-2:
Automatic upscaling if exceeded
A new parameter in the EQ menu:
"Scaling Bode plot [dB] 12 | 24 | A" (A: automatic).

102 (edited by weme 2022-02-07 11:56:17)

It seems that some eggheads have no time, others only work with "Load B/T w. Preset = OFF" (like me) and the rest are lying in their bed with their beautiful ADI-2 - waiting for sunny days.

Ok, then I do it alone and end the following topic for me:

MC wrote:

The ability to switch off B/T from the '7-band EQ' is a feature that I liked, for comparison and when one uses only 5 bands but wants to include Bass and Treble settings, plus when one doesn't use EQ at all and only saves the B/T states. In that latter case hitting the B/T button is more intuitive than the EQ button.

In all these cases editing the EQ with B/T Off would yield flawed results. One needs to have B/T On to adjust the EQ correctly, because next time when loading the Preset it will be loaded together with B/T again (due to the Load option On).

Switching old "5-band EQ" <-> "7-band EQ" (Alternative to #96) https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 76#p182976

Maybe programme code could be saved for a function in the frequency graph (Bode plot) like this:

Pressing encoder 2 brings up another menu [M] with these functions:
"Load B/T w. Preset OFF | ON"
"Load EQ w. Preset OFF | ON"
Turning encoder 1 / 2 changes the values (OFF | ON).
The activation of BT and or EQ could perhaps be shown in the title line (e.g. as in #98 below) https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 17#p183017

Parameters in the EQ menu
"Load B/T w. Preset OFF | ON"
"Load EQ w. Preset OFF | ON"
control the input option in the menu [M].

The values of menu [M] (OFF | ON) are saved by the EQ Presets and interpreted by the Presets Manual / Temp.

We have these actions:
1. Basic saving of EQ- B/T-values (when saving an EQ Preset) or loading of EQ- B/T-values (when loading an EQ Preset)
2. Display frequency graph (Bode plot) <- What you see is what you get
3. Control output

Parameters "B/T Enable / EQ Enable" control 2. and 3.

Full Disclosure:  I haven't installed this update nor the December one as I just found out there were new versions and my unit is connected to a linux box so it's not just download and click for me.  If this feature is already there please just let me know.

With that out of the way, I would like to put in one (hopefully) simple display feature request if you do decide to roll out another small update.  Now that dual volume has a permanent setting, could we get a better popup volume display for changing volume when dual volume is activated?

Change volume in single volume mode and you get a popup big number.  Great for changing volume with the remote.  Change it in dual volume mode and you get a tiny display of bars and numbers unreadable from distance.   Not so great.  Could the popup volume in dual volume mode be changed to show big numbers? 

No need for a whole new screen for this.  I think just displaying the 1/2 volume would be fine since both move in sync.  Alternatively pop up the dark volume screen which is quite readable from a distance and shows both 1/2 and 3/4 volume.

Thanks for your consideration and for the updates already provided.

Just installed this firmware.  So nice that dual volume can now be permanent w/o something plugged into the front 1/2 phone jack.  Thank you.

I did notice a small bug when removing the dummy plug from the 1/2 jack.  I think it is a debounce issue.

When I pulled the plug the volume changed.  So I did some testing.  I put the volume to max level in dual phone mode which is Hi-Power +1dBr = 20dBu.  Then I pulled the plug out of 1/2 and the volume changed to +24dBu + 1dBr = +25dBr.  That seemed wrong.  I went to write here to report it but went to test it again to make sure I had the numbers right and one time I pulled it and it read +24dBu -4dBr = 20dBr which would be correct.  Playing with it some more I could make lots of volume changes such as the volume going down when plugging something into the front 1/2 jack even when the volume was already below the maximum of the front 1/2 jack.  I could actually see the volume jitter between various settings on the dark volume screen before the high power warning popped up.

I'm using a low profile 1/4 to 1/8 adapter which is hard to manipulate for me due to some dexterity issues so it's possible I'm stressing any existing debounce logic.  Still wanted to make you aware.

Also FYI as I don't know if you consider this a bug or not, but with dual phone mode off you can skip the warning and set the volume to higher than is allowed in dual phone mode which I believe is higher than the front port can produce.  Since it does requires skipping a warning it's up to you if it's expected behavior or a bug to let the volume exceed the 1/2 front port limit.

Hi there.
After I have instaled the latest firmware for my Adi 2 Pro Fs
I can't seem to go out of mono mode at all.
I have checked multiple times the whole menu and I'm pretty sure everything is set as it should be.
No mono setting is enabled anywhere to my awareness.
I'm using the card in USB mode with my mac mini M1 with the latest update.
I have cross-checked with other devices in the same mode on mac.
Everything else plays stereo so it's an internal setting on a card I would presume.

Easy to check: set the level meters to Dual. Then send a stereo or one channel signal to the ADI. If the slim bar shows only one channel then issue lies in your Mac.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

So I did try that.

I have sent stereo also just right or left signal from the Mac via usb and in all cases the card shows both left and right channel bars (not the single bar!)

Signal in all cases is presented in the centre even with just one side send to the device.

Even in OS preferences test noise from left or right plays in centre.

smcompatible wrote:

So I did try that.

I have sent stereo also just right or left signal from the Mac via usb and in all cases the card shows both left and right channel bars (not the single bar!)

Signal in all cases is presented in the centre even with just one side send to the device.

Even in OS preferences test noise from left or right plays in centre.

Width setting in I/O setup corresponds to stereo for Width = 1.0, Width = 0 corresponds to single channel mono.

109 (edited by smcompatible 2022-02-15 20:40:37)

Oh. thank You finally that was my issue. I have changed it thinking otherwise for the settings.
Now Im in Audiophile heaven again. This card is mind-blowing.
You guys Rock!

In that case: failed test and confirmation. The slim level meters (pre FX) did not show an input signal on both sides, only the wider ones (post FX).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

111 (edited by Admire 2022-02-22 01:52:55)

I have noticed one or two? bugs in ADI-2 DAC 78 / 48 firmware.

1)
When 'Lock UI' is set to 'Remote' or 'Keys+Remote', all buttons should be locked except 'Volume' (says the manual).
While this DOES work for the buttons on the device, it DOES NOT for the buttons on the remote control. On the RC this option locks ALL buttons (incl. 'Volume').

Would be really nice if that can be fixed in a next release! I would love to use this option to prevent others from inadvertently changing any parameters (while still offering remote volume control).

2)
According to the manual there should be a 'Swap with (push 1s)' function for EQ presets. Am I too stupid to find this on the device, or does it actually not exist? Not a big deal, of course. I just named it because I saw it (not :-)).

1 was intentional. We will check if Vol on the remote is possible.

2 It is exactly there where the manual says. You did not turn encoder 2 far enough, on Save to, OR had Temp or Manual selected as source. These can not be used for Swap as they are no Presets.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

seashell wrote:

Just installed this firmware.  So nice that dual volume can now be permanent w/o something plugged into the front 1/2 phone jack.  Thank you.

I did notice a small bug when removing the dummy plug from the 1/2 jack.  I think it is a debounce issue.

I was able to reproduce this. Yes, it seems to be debounce issue. Normal unplugging lets the conatct bouce as if one had plugged and unplugged the phones once again. I got rid of the effect by pulling the plug lightning fast.

seashell wrote:

When I pulled the plug the volume changed.  So I did some testing.  I put the volume to max level in dual phone mode which is Hi-Power +1dBr = 20dBu.  Then I pulled the plug out of 1/2 and the volume changed to +24dBu + 1dBr = +25dBr.  That seemed wrong.

It is right. In your configuration you have front and rear outputs running simultaneously (Mute v TRS is Off). That means you switch between two different modes by plugging Ph 1/2 and unplugging it. Unplugged the rear output has full +24 dBu range, plugged it is limited to +19 dBu. Therefore plugging and unplugging translates the current setting differently between front and back.

seashell wrote:

I pulled it and it read +24dBu -4dBr

Yes, that is the value that is set when plugged in at Hi-Power +1 dBr and then unplugged. Next time plugging in you will see Hi-Power -9 dBr. After that the value will not change anymore as it is now outside the +24 dBu range that triggers these changes.

We'll see if we can get rid of the bouncing. That should also make it easier to understand.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

114 (edited by Admire 2022-02-22 13:03:22)

MC wrote:

Thank you for investigating! This would be a really big one in my case! I guess also helpful for others...

MC wrote:

2 It is exactly there where the manual says. You did not turn encoder 2 far enough, on Save to, OR had Temp or Manual selected as source. These can not be used for Swap as they are no Presets.

Man, this was hidden (to me)... I did it the way you wrote, and of course I found it. Maybe the manual could be more precise, but maybe it was just me.

Again: I totally appreciate how you care about customer feedback! This is absolutely outstanding.

Hmm, I did explain it correctly in the manual, but yesterday got another feedback from someone who didn't understand that the sentence is not incomplete but continuing with the next heading:

Turning the encoder fully clockwise will change the line and function to

Swap with (push 1s)

Was that your problem? Then I might have to change this (else funny) way of writing.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I tried to check the manual 'with fresh eyes'. I think it's just the break (stanza, carriage return, German: 'Absatz'). The other options that are formatted this way are separate 'lines' at the device's menu, but this one is not. I think that's where the confusion comes from.

My idea would be to delete this break and have 'Swap with (push 1s)' in bold letters within continuous text.

Like that:

Save to (push 1s)
Use encoder 2 to select the slot where the current preset should be stored to. To store press and hold encoder 2 for one second. Turning the encoder fully clockwise will change the line and function to Swap with (push 1s). Turn encoder 2 to select the preset that is exchanged with the preset formerly selected (Preset Select). Swap does not work with Temp or Manual as source.

MC wrote:

Hmm, I did explain it correctly in the manual, but yesterday got another feedback from someone who didn't understand that the sentence is not incomplete but continuing with the next heading:

Turning the encoder fully clockwise will change the line and function to

Swap with (push 1s)

Was that your problem? Then I might have to change this (else funny) way of writing.

Turning the encoder further clockwise will change the line and function, to:

Swap with (push 1s)

My vote goes for 'further clockwise' plus keeping it in the line (no break). To me this seems to be the clearest.

Anyway, it just proves the high level of maturity of the product that we are discussing subtleties of the manual :-)

Can someone please help?

I cant seem to get the firmware to update.

Itll say turn off the power for system firmware to update, but then when I power on the system again. there are no changes.

I have an adi-2 dac FS

120 (edited by bb_public 2022-02-28 10:07:46)

@MC:

I know that FW 78 / 48 was set to be the last update for the ADI2 DAC - but just for the case that another firmware will follow would it be possible to integrate the horizontal L/R level meters into either the "Dark Volume" / "Dark Volume Details" screen? (at least as an option if other users don't like this)

Best regards and thanks!

richard.vu93 wrote:

Can someone please help?

Itll say turn off the power for system firmware to update, but then when I power on the system again. there are no changes.

I have an adi-2 dac FS

Richard,

It seems your query slipped under the Radar over the weekend.   Have you been successful in updating your FW, or are you still having a difficulty?

No worries!   If you're a first-timer, then it's ok to ask for some help.   Perhaps you can explain what steps you've already taken, and we can then better understand how to help.

Let us know!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

122 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-02-28 19:46:05)

richard.vu93 wrote:

Can someone please help?

I have an adi-2 dac FS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtEH83rcQ8Q

Also read this: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 43#p182943

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

So I'm pretty certain it's not possible to implement, but just to make sure;

Could the EQ-curve that you see on the EQ-screen, have an option to be added to the spectrum analyzer's background, so that you could see your current EQ-curve while on the main screen on the analyzer? Sort of like a faded image in the background of the analyzer.

Would be cool, but it's not possible, is it?

MC wrote:
seashell wrote:

I pulled it and it read +24dBu -4dBr

Yes, that is the value that is set when plugged in at Hi-Power +1 dBr and then unplugged. Next time plugging in you will see Hi-Power -9 dBr. After that the value will not change anymore as it is now outside the +24 dBu range that triggers these changes.

We'll see if we can get rid of the bouncing. That should also make it easier to understand.

We seem to have been able to improve the current behaviour in this specific mode. I'm currently testing a version that does this:

Output state: Plugged, manually set Hi-Power +1 dBr. Unplug. Changes to +24 dBu, -4 dBr. Plug. Changes to Hi Power -4 dBr - capped, because the Line Out ref level +24 dBu exceeds the Hi-Power range of +19 dBu. Unplug: +19 dBu -9 dBr. Plug: Hi Power  -4 dBr. And so on.

The behaviour due to the 'capping' is now more logical or 'as expected', bouncing is gone, not logical final states (Hi-Power -9 dBr) no longer happen.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Admire wrote:
MC wrote:

Vol on remote still working with Locked UI will be in the next firmware update.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

126 (edited by seashell 2022-03-23 02:47:29)

MC wrote:

We seem to have been able to improve the current behaviour in this specific mode. I'm currently testing a version that does this:

Output state: Plugged, manually set Hi-Power +1 dBr. Unplug. Changes to +24 dBu, -4 dBr. Plug. Changes to Hi Power -4 dBr - capped, because the Line Out ref level +24 dBu exceeds the Hi-Power range of +19 dBu. Unplug: +19 dBu -9 dBr. Plug: Hi Power  -4 dBr. And so on.

The behaviour due to the 'capping' is now more logical or 'as expected', bouncing is gone, not logical final states (Hi-Power -9 dBr) no longer happen.

Thanks for taking my feedback.  Glad to hear you were able to fix the bouncing.  It definitely added some confusion to the volume change logic.  Sorry I'm not entirely following the new logic though.  Maybe it will be clear once I see it in action or maybe it's just a typo in the last example..  But here's my take from your post.

"Plugged, manually set Hi-Power +1 dBr. Unplug. Changes to +24 dBu, -4 dBr" - Got it 20dBu = 20dBu.
"Plug. Changes to Hi Power -4 dBr - capped, because the Line Out ref level +24 dBu exceeds the Hi-Power range of +19 dBu." - Shouldn't it change to Hi Power +1 dBr = 20dBu the next closest / where it was before you did the plug=>unplug=>plug operation?  Or maybe you're just opting to drop the reference only for simplicity which I can follow.

But this next one I don't get unless it's a typo.  "Unplug: +19 dBu -9 dBr. Plug: Hi Power  -4 dBr."  Should that be Hi Power - 9dBr?  Hi Power -4 dBr = 15 dBu == 5 louder than before Plug.

Also, while writing again, may I ask if you've given any consideration to the popup volume screen when dual volume mode is active to make volume changes more visible from distance when using the remote?

Edit:  Maybe the last example was meant to be "Unplug: +24 dBu -9 dBr. Plug: Hi Power  -4 dBr." which gives 15==15.

Second one: it is dBr (same real absolute level on both outputs). Stating the current ref level besides it confuses me as hell as well. But it's correct.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok, so just a typo then.  You wrote "Unplug: +19 dBu -9 dBr. Plug: Hi Power  -4 dBr." but it should be "Unplug: +24 dBu -9 dBr. Plug: Hi Power  -4 dBr."  Most of this discussion and a previous one on a different forum probably really comes down to the debounce issue making everything seem inconsistent.  Too bad I didn't spot the debounce issue back then.

No, it was not a typo. The ref level is set to +19 dBu in that moment (see I/O menu), but the dBr value always refers to max = +24 dBu.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ah.  Thanks for clarifying.

Found a bug. The Auto Standby function is triggered when there is a signal at the input. Driver mode - multichannel.

What signal at what input?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Sine -10dB at input 1.

Hmm, you may rewrite your statement above as I can't make sense of it. I have -10 dBFS sine at the analog input L, Standby is active (30 minutes), and the unit does not go into standby immediately. So Standby is not 'triggered' by that signal. What exactly is the 'bug' that you found?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Captured it on video. Here you can see that the device automatically goes into standby mode. At the same time, a signal is present at input 1. СС mode = Multichannel
https://youtu.be/WMISWATTGNk

If you want a bug being fixed then you need to give more information.

First we are on firmware 113 already.

I tested with that firmware like in your video, connected via USB, single speed, set to 30 minutes. The unit was still working at 45 minutes, so I removed the input signal. 30 minutes later it switched off. So I can't reproduce that the unit either switches off immediately (your first statement with 'trigger', that you still did not explain or corrected), nor that it does this after the set time as long as an input signal at channel 1 is there (would be 'despite a signal being present').

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Perhaps there was a mistranslation in the first post. The error is visible in the video. The device turns off the power despite the presence of a signal at input 1.
What information do you still need? Note that the СС mode is set to multichannel. Perhaps this is important.

Firmware update to version 113 did not help.

marth wrote:

Perhaps there was a mistranslation in the first post. The error is visible in the video. The device turns off the power despite the presence of a signal at input 1.
What information do you still need?.

All, as I can not reproduce this error, as I clearly explained. Did you use the 30 minutes setting?

marth wrote:

Note that the СС mode is set to multichannel. Perhaps this is important.

Might be, but I was in that exact mode.

Can you reproduce this issue with L+R signal at the input? Can you reproduce it after having it set to Factory default? The issue might be caused by a setting that is not default, that you had manually set, especially in Analog Input Settings menu. Loopback active? EQ on input active? Sample rate? Current Basic Mode? USB connected?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I reset the device to factory settings.
Then I changed these settings:
1. Output1/2 - Auto Ref Level Off.
2. Auto Standby - 30min.

Basic Mode - Auto (USB connected)
Sample Rate - 44.1kHz
EQ on input off.
Loopback off.
L+R signal at the input.

All this did not help. The device still turns off after 30 minutes, despite the fact that there is a signal at the input.

Thanks, I'll try that again.

BTW, does it stay on when you have any output signal active?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

When there is a signal on the output channels, the device does not turn off.

Correct. And indeed the manual tells us: The unit checks all outputs for signals higher than -70 dBFS. Not inputs. We will try to add this.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Correct. And indeed the manual tells us: The unit checks all outputs for signals higher than -70 dBFS. Not inputs. We will try to add this.

smile I really hope so. I use this device for measurements.

marth wrote:
MC wrote:

Even if it sounds trivial:
Switch off Auto Standby smile

EQ, Dual
I cannot set/store individual settings for L and R. They only work together.
Something wrong doing by me, or a bug?
Thanks for answers and hints, hjp

147 (edited by Curt962 2022-05-04 00:40:48)

Hans,

Take a look at my Pocket-Sized "how-to" that will not only take you through setting up a Dual EQ, it will also keep us from side-tracking MC's Firmware Thread. wink

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … mp;login=1

Have Fun!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Thank you very much. I put my request into the other thread, I understand the procedure, but it does not work. It was ok. before the recent update.

You have to describe the issue in more detail.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

marth wrote:
MC wrote:

The analog inputs have been added to detection, firmware update coming soon.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME