Topic: ADI-2 DAC FS initial setup help

New ADI-2 owner here looking for some initial setup help. (My unit arrives tomorrow.) I have begun reading through the manual and could use some advice. I have a basic knowledge of DAC settings. My setup is/will be a Bluesound Node 2021 to the ADI via coax, then out to my integrated amp, a McIntosh MA252. I'll be using coax initially because I want to do some testing between the ADI and my current MQA DAC which is connected via USB. I stream both Tidal and Qobuz.

I'm used to using the volume on my integrated amp and not the DAC, so I've been disabling the DAC's preamp/volume setting. I'm wondering what I should do/set the ADI volume level. Leave at the -5db? Any recommendations for line output? I'd like to listen to the DAC for a while without EQ too. I also tend to listen to music at lower volumes because my hearing is not what it once was. I've read that enabling the Loudness setting helps with lower volumes. True? Any other initial settings I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance for any advice and tips. Looking forward to the new DAC!

2 (edited by ramses 2022-02-06 16:27:31)

Re: ADI-2 DAC FS initial setup help

To be sure on this, do you have ADI-2 FS or ADI-2 DAC FS, two different products.
As you talk about EQ, then it can only be the ADI-2 DAC FS or ADI-2 Pro FS R BE.

For most flexibility I would

• connect the ADI-2 DAC to a laptop or pc through USB, you can use it then as player or for streaming music. You need such a connection and an installed ASIO driver  to be able to perform  firmware upgrades which can happen from from time to time

• put an Oehlbach Optosel 4:1 Mk II (https://www.oehlbach.com/de/audio-equip … l-4-1-mkii) in front of the ADI-2 DAC FS ADAT port.  By this you can connect up to four digital sources to the ADI-2 FS. This Mk II version of the unit has a remote, looks good, not too expensive and supports up to 192 kHz. You can connect e.g. the Bluenode, TV, CD or BluRay Plased to it and either SPDIF or 1st two channels of ADAT.

• I can recommend Mutec optical cables, look here: https://www.thomann.de/de/mutec_optisches_kabel_2m.htm,  which allow even 15+1=16m between PC (RME UFX+) and ADI-2 Pro FS R BE in front of my HiFi. According to specs approx 10m is the max length, but never had an issue with 16m up to 192 kHz.Also good with Mutec, their optical cables have good plugs and not too stiff manteling which can be a disadvantage as they tend to loop formation and can then exert lateral tensile forces on the connector (like TOSLINK cables from Sommer Cable do).

Balanced / unbalanced connection to integrated amp

If your Mac is an integrated amp, then it's no problem to connect the ADI-2 DAC FS like any other device to one of it's analog inputs, I read it has unbalanced and balanced inputs. See also connection type 2 (red bullets) in the drawing below.

As the ADI-2 DAC FS supports balanced outputs I would use those as they are more resistant to any kind of noise, have a hotter signal and by this (both) supports much higher cables lengths like often needed in studio enviroments. But also Cinch cables are "not too bad", figure .. we lived with those for a very long time.

See also KaiS comment in post #3 below that your Mac seems to have integrated attenuators to prevent overloading the inputs and that you can use higher output levels at the DAC to make full use of the four reference levels which gives a 20dB wider range in terms of higher SNR/dynamik (at our listening levels "nice to have", but really not required for good sound).

Example Setup with TOSLINK switcher

My setup also uses these components in comination with an integrated amp:

PC---USB3---UFX+---ADAT(15m)----Port1+-Optosel 4:1 Mk II---ADAT(1m)---ADI-2 Pro---Accuphase E-600---B&W 803D3
                                      BluRay----Port2+    "
                                             TV----Port3+    "
      Reserve(could be streamer)---Port4+    "

On the ADI-2 Pro I activated
- auto reflevel (see ch 12.1, also 31.12, 31.13 are informative)
- dynamic loudness (see ch 8.5, 12.4)
- Additional +3dB for Bass as usually I do not listen loud as well as you
- use of D/A filter "Slow" (ch 12.1, 31.3) as suggested by KaiS https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 68#p177168
- using B/T as needed, if some music material has a different mastering (more/less B/T)
- key remapping (ch 14.1.1): the four front keys I programmed with these functions
  - toggle view (then you can use the remote to toggle between screens, e.g. between Dark Volume and Analyzer
  - toggle Phones/Line
  - toggle EQ+B/T+Ld on/off (quick deactivation of all EQing and loudness to listen to the original signal)
  - toggle Mute (could be useful when being in front of the device)

Manual links:
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2dacr_d.pdf
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2dacr_e.pdf

Loudness

In my case the loudest output volume that I use on the ADI-2 Pro FS is -15 (dBFS).
I simply remember this value and use only volume levels below -15 that not to overload the preamp.
In your case this will be a different value.
To parametrize dynamic loudness correctly you need to substract 20db from your usual or highest listening level.
In  my case -15 - -20 = -35 for the value "Low Vol Ref" under loudness settings.

That's it basically .. +/- a few optimizations, which are not really required as e.g. use of attenuator to maximize SNR/dynamic, which is high enough anyway and esp. at our listening levels.

Other sources of information

This blog article might contain the one or other interesting information for you, as well:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ses-EN-DE/

Here a drawing that combines different aspects of these wonderful products
- how it can be used
- to be able to use the "Bit test,  to have kind of an "end-to-end test" from player to DAC in the digital domain (see manual)

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/2849-RME-ADI-2-DAC-Pro-Connection-Diagrams-etc-v003-jpg/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by KaiS 2022-02-06 15:19:24)

I suggest to start with the default configuration and explore one function at a time - with the comprehensive manual at hand.

ADI-2 DAC is not level-critical, neither is your McIntosh.

“Loudness” is meant to work in conjunction and in dependency with ADI-2’s volume dial.
Look ADI-2 DAC manual pages 14, 23, 59.

ramses wrote:

e.g. use of attenuator to maximize SNR/dynamic, which is high enough anyway.

The McIntosh MA252 already has individual attenuators built into each input.

4 (edited by ramses 2022-02-06 15:39:58)

KaiS wrote:
ramses wrote:

Thanks Kai, not bad !

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by Curt962 2022-02-06 16:49:23)

The selectable input levels that were featured in some of the McIntosh products are very useful as we have seen in other recent discussions here.

I'm certain that all will work nicely for @Jtbalt1

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Thanks Ramses for your very informative reply. I’m having trouble quoting your reply as I keep getting error messages.

Yes, it’s the RME-2 DAC FS that is on the way. I will try to get my head around what you have mentioned and visit the links you suggest. Looks like I’ve got a lot of learning to do. I’m sure it will be worth it! Thanks again!

Jeff

KaiS wrote:

I suggest to start with the default configuration and explore one function at a time - with the comprehensive manual at hand.

ADI-2 DAC is not level-critical, neither is your McIntosh.

“Loudness” is meant to work in conjunction and in dependency with ADI-2’s volume dial.
Look ADI-2 DAC manual pages 14, 23, 59.

ramses wrote:

Thanks. That sounds like a great approach. Will look at the manual pages you suggest. I’m also assuming that the DAC’s default settings are a good place to start!

8 (edited by KaiS 2022-02-06 17:17:44)

Anyway people in general shouldn‘t be too picky about the levels.

Even though in the first place it might seem there are sound changes with different levels, finally just different loud listening is the reason for this false perception.

Some contemporary devices can not handle very high levels without distorting, but the MacIntosh can.

The Internet, fueled by self declared “experts” and “golden ears”, puts the focus on the wrong items for sound improvement.
I won’t name them all (don’t want to start this discussion here again), but finally the electro-acoustic transducer, say speakers or headphones, are by far most important to define sound quality.

9 (edited by ramses 2022-02-06 17:22:12)

> I’m also assuming that the DAC’s default settings are a good place to start!

Hi Jeff, definitively wink

Was just meant to give you some ideas what could be done more without too many efforts or how easy it is to connect even multiple devices to the optical port of ADI-2 DAC FS using the Optosel 4:1 like I do.

I thought it could also be interesting for you to get some further information which I collected in the blog article, like e.g. the very interesting videos from Matthias Carstens about Steadyclock FS, Extreme Power headphone outputs and the results of the mastering converter shootout which underpins the high quality of the ADI-2 DAC compared to studio A/D converters up to €8000.

Curt962 wrote:

The selectable input levels that were featured in some of the McIntosh products are very useful as we have seen in other recent discussions here.

I'm certain that all will work nicely for @Jtbalt1

Curt

Thanks. I guess I’ll start with the defaults and then go from there. I’m thinking that I will select levels that match what I am using presently for my volume range on the MA252.

ramses wrote:

> I’m also assuming that the DAC’s default settings are a good place to start!

Hi Jeff, definitively wink

Was just meant to give you some ideas what could be done more without too many efforts or how easy it is to connect even multiple devices to the optical port of ADI-2 DAC FS using the Optosel 4:1 like I do.

I thought it could also be interesting for you to get some further information which I collected in the blog article, like e.g. the very interesting videos from Matthias Carstens about Steadyclock FS, Extreme Power headphone outputs and the results of the mastering converter shootout which underpins the high quality of the ADI-2 DAC compared to studio A/D converters up to €8000.

Thanks! It would be nice if I could download and update using my iPad rather than my laptop. Don’t know if that’s possible…..

KaiS wrote:

Anyway people in general shouldn‘t be too picky about the levels.

Even though in the first place it might seem there are sound changes with different levels, finally just different loud listening is the reason for this false perception.

Some contemporary devices can not handle very high levels without distorting, but the MacIntosh can.

The Internet, fueled by self declared “experts” and “golden ears”, puts the focus on the wrong items for sound improvement.
I won’t name them all (don’t want to start this discussion here again), but finally the electro-acoustic transducer, say speakers or headphones, are by far most important to define sound quality.

Thanks. I tend to agree. Although some don’t care for the brand, I find that McIntosh equipment (1) often makes things (settings) easier, and (2) makes other equipment sound better. So far the best upgrade for my Node was the MA252. :-)

13 (edited by KaiS 2022-02-06 18:30:07)

jltbalt1 wrote:

It would be nice if I could download and update using my iPad rather than my laptop. Don’t know if that’s possible…..

No, same here, but Firmware updates don’t come too often, so moving around ADI-2 (or the laptop) doesn’t hurt too much.

14 (edited by Curt962 2022-02-06 22:32:34)

JT,

Smile!   I never cared much for trotting my Laptop into the room, and connecting up for the ocassional FW update either, but Man!   It was worth the tiny inconvenience!  Wow!  So many useful improvements, and they came to me for free!    How's that for Product Support?  wink

All said,  your RME, and McIntosh will groove nicely together, and there's many years of enjoyable listening awaiting you.

Best!

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

JT,

Smile!   I never cared much for trotting my Laptop into the room, and connecting up for the ocassional FW update either, but Man!   It was worth the tiny inconvenience!  Wow!  So many useful improvements, and they came to me for free!    How's that for Product Support?  wink

All said,  your RME, and McIntosh will groove nicely together, and there's many years of enjoyable listening awaiting you.

Best!

Curt

Thanks for that. I will definitely do the updates, although maybe after I get the unit up and running. I have a feeling that the RME DAC is going to make my current $500 MAQ DAC expendable!

16 (edited by Curt962 2022-02-06 23:13:34)

JT,

My "Vintage" ADI-2 DAC is playing as I write, and it's as UP-TO-DATE as a device fresh from the factory.

The FW updates are remarkably easy!   Update your device at your earliest convenience to take full advantage of the latest developments, and if you need help, we're here to assist!

Welcome to the Group!

Curt

Hello again. Update: got my RME ADI-2 DAC yesterday and dove right in. So far I'm trying to learn the menu navigation so I can change a few settings, and I am very proud of myself because I have not, as of yet, had to do a reset! So far I really like the sound of this DAC. I stream mainly Tidal but also have Qobuz. For Tidal I have the Node do the first MQA unfold before passing the file to the ADI-2. Max streaming rate is 96kHz but I'm finding that a partially unfolded MQA file sounds as good or even better than a fully processed file streaming to my MQA DAC. I was never impressed with Qobuz...until now. This DAC is the first one I've used that makes Qobuz come alive. Qobuz now seems to sound as good as Tidal, although a bit different. I think I'll keep both.

So far, setting the volume at +2db seems to sound the best with my amp. At the moment I've settled on the NOS DA Filter, as it sounds the best to my ears. I've turned on the equalizer but haven't done anything with it yet because I don't know what to do! (That's OK.) For some reason (as was the case with my other DAC), the unbalanced outputs sound better than balanced. It's probably my age-damaged hearing. Also did the firmware update.

All good so far. I've got a ways to go but I'm excited to learn more about the ADI-2. Thanks again, and please keep those tips and suggestions coming!

Hi again JT!

Fantastic!  It seems you're already off to a fine start with your new RME! 

There is no rush for you to internalize all of the device's functions in one day.   If you simply review the user manual a bit at a time, this can help simplify your familiarization with the operation of the various Menus, and Functionalities which they contain. 

This Age-Damaged Hearing thing?

Surely you refer to hearing that is Well-Seasoned yes?  wink

Have Fun, and Enjoy your new device!

Best,

Curt