Topic: DC Protection warning when streaming from local network and Line Out

Hi,

I have the Adi connected to a Node over USB cable. I am using the line out connected to an Arcam amp.
I am getting this DC protection warning when I stream from a local storage - my PC.

The Node is not connected to LAN but just WiFi! This doesn't make any sense to me at all but it happens most of the time in the exactly same way.

I am usually streaming from Deezer and sometimes I use the locally shared Music folder from the PC. When I start the playback within 5sec I get the warning and all music stops. When I pause the playback it would remove the message within a couple of seconds.

How is it possible to have this issue when the Node is not physically connected to the PC in any way and it never happens with non local sources?

Streamer: Bluesound Node
Amp: Arcam SA30
Speakers: KEF LS50 Meta
SUB: BK P12-300SB

2 (edited by ramses 2022-02-13 12:28:06)

Re: DC Protection warning when streaming from local network and Line Out

We had this already in a different thread, it's sometimes caused by the music material itself.
If I remember right therefore the request to be able to turn it off.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by KaiS 2022-02-13 12:52:12)

surr3a1 wrote:

I have the Adi connected to a Node over USB cable. I am using the line out connected to an Arcam amp.
I am getting this DC protection warning when I stream from a local storage - my PC.

The Node is not connected to LAN but just WiFi! This doesn't make any sense to me at all but it happens most of the time in the exactly same way.

I am usually streaming from Deezer and sometimes I use the locally shared Music folder from the PC. When I start the playback within 5sec I get the warning and all music stops. When I pause the playback it would remove the message within a couple of seconds.

How is it possible to have this issue when the Node is not physically connected to the PC in any way and it never happens with non local sources?

If it happens with certain tracks only, it’s in the music, bad mastering.
If you like me to replicate, tell the tracks where it’s happening.

Watch out for the Analyser’s leftmost bar, does it show an relatively constant, high value? That’s the DC with some regular music on top.

If it happens all the time something could be wrong with the player.
As usual, first try power-cycling all devices.

To get rid of the DC, switch:
I/O / Main Output 1/2 (Phones Out 3/4, ...) / Settings / Dig. DC Protection / Filter.
Scroll all down for the entry to show up.

Sidemark:
DC does not need a physical connection to be transferred, can go wireless too, inside the music stream it’s part of.

KaiS wrote:
surr3a1 wrote:

If it happens with certain tracks only, it’s in the music, bad mastering.
If you like me to replicate, tell the tracks where it’s happening.

Watch out for the Analyser’s leftmost bar, does it show an relatively constant, high value? That’s the DC with some regular music on top.

If it happens all the time something could be wrong with the player.
As usual, first try power-cycling all devices.

To get rid of the DC, switch:
I/O / Main Output 1/2 (Phones Out 3/4, ...) / Settings / Dig. DC Protection / Filter.
Scroll all down for the entry to show up.

Sidemark:
DC does not need a physical connection to be transferred, can go wireless too, inside the music stream it’s part of.

ramses wrote:

We had this already in a different thread, it's sometimes caused by the music material itself.
If I remember right therefore the request to be able to turn it off.

Yes, starting from this https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 60#p179560

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

surr3a1 wrote:

Hi,

You can consider to put the Digital DC protection to filter.

6 (edited by Curt962 2022-02-13 19:34:15)

+1 for Digital DC Protection FILTER mode

Until my favorite Classical Sender can Unf**k their processing, DDCP is Heaven Sent, and restores my full enjoyment, without interuption.

This upgrade is found in FW 48, and easily accessed via the I/O Menu.  Good Stuff!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Thanks guys, I did disable the DC protection for the Line Out as a workaround.
I am not quite sure about this DC Filter mode... is it about switching the 1st EQ band to the high-pass mode?

8 (edited by Curt962 2022-02-13 22:01:46)

Surr,

See page 68 (Section 31.15) of your User Manual for a complete description. 

Yes.  It's a 1st Order HP Filter set at 7hz.

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

9 (edited by KaiS 2022-02-13 23:50:33)

surr3a1 wrote:

Thanks guys, I did disable the DC protection for the Line Out as a workaround.
I am not quite sure about this DC Filter mode... is it about switching the 1st EQ band to the high-pass mode?

No, the filter is at:
Same place where you switched off the protection.

Surr, at I/O, SETTINGS, Dig. DC Protection, you can select OFF, ON, Filter.

Select filter you will have a hidden 1st Order HP Filter set at 7hz.

Ok, I noticed that there was a new FW v.78 which I didn't have. Just updated and this option is now available.
Thanks all!

12 (edited by KaiS 2022-02-14 15:40:16)

Oops, forgot to mention the new firmware that has the filter!