Topic: Confused - Layouts vs Snapshots vs Workspaces

Here's my understanding:

Layouts - these are ONLY the presence or absence of inputs and outputs (as you decide to show or hide them), and the renaming of them in the session. Nothing else.

Snapshots - these are just the router and mixer settings of the session. Nothing else. They do not include the renaming or hiding of inputs or outputs.

Workspaces - these are backups of everything, including all layouts and snapshots in the total mix session

Is this correct? If not, please correct me in detail. Thanks!

Re: Confused - Layouts vs Snapshots vs Workspaces

This is all from the manual, search for these keywords:

Snapshots. Snapshots include all mixer settings, but no graphical elements like window positions, window size, number of windows, visible EQs or Settings, scroll states, Presets etc. Only the state wide/narrow of the channels is registered.

Layout Presets. To maintain overview within TotalMix FX channels can be hidden. Channels can also be excluded from being remoted. Layout Presets are stored within the Workspace, so make sure to save the current state before loading a different Workspace!

Workspace saves everything (Snapshots, Layout Presets, window positions). Loading a Workspace causes the loss of all stored Snapshots, when these all had not been saved before in a Workspace, or separately via File / Save Snapshot as. Via File / Load Snapshot, the mixer states can be loaded individually.

Check also TM FX preferences (F2) for customized behavior under Mixer Views.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I find the manual helpful sometimes but very poorly written. For instance, Workspaces are apparently how you save everything, but searching in my manual for the UCX II there is no section for this important feature! I found more info on your brief video for newcomers than in the manual.

Perhaps you could hire a native English speaking musician/tech-writer familiar with RME products to update it?

This is an expensive interface with complicated software that really needs better support documentation, that is CLEAR, not difficult to understand. I think if you did this, you'd have less people on this forum searching for solutions that do exists somewhere, but are not apparent from the manual. Especially for people new to RME, like me.

4 (edited by ramses 2023-01-27 12:38:33)

The information is in the manual.
I propose to use the search function of your PDF viewer and look for "snapshot", "workspace", "layout".

25.5.2 Snapshots - Groups
25.5.3 Channel Layout - Layout Presets

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/fface_ucx2_d.pdf
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/fface_ucx2_e.pdf

** Further recommendations, tips **
Please read this sticky article on this user forum: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=34394

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

The information he asks for is not in the manual - it's one sentence mysteriously missing, no clue how that happened or why no one ever mentioned that before. I didn't notice it because the concept of Workspaces is not an invention of TotalMix and also found in other programs that I use...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME