Topic: sound in TotalMix but not in ableton 11. Mac M2.

Hi all,

I tried everything I could find on RME's forum, no luck.

I cannot get any sound into ableton live suite 11 although I can hear and see it in TotalMix just fine.

Set up:
I have a Fireface UC. 
Macbook pro M2
Ableton live suite 11

All worked well on my PC laptop until now and my mac before that for the past 10 years.

I just got this new mac and installed the new RME drivers and flash update on it. All went well. I did allow RME via the startup utility (the kernel thing..). All good.

Both my mac and Ableton do see the Fireface UC for input and output. Appropriate sound channels are active in Ableton. It all should work.

I even reinstalled Ableton, updated the drivers of my synth, tried with my guitar, tried input 3/4 and 5/6 of my fireface, did many reboots. I even switched the Fireface UC on Mac mode (AP instead of PC). No sound goes into Ableton.

What to do ?

Re: sound in TotalMix but not in ableton 11. Mac M2.

Try with another DAW Reaper.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Did you switch at a later point? Then you need to reinstall the drivers to get access to the Allow dialog once again.

Otherwise which firmware for UC and drivers and which OS version are used?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by sebastian.2929 2023-04-21 18:52:44)

Same issue here, but with Ableton 10. Any recommendations?

- I use a Fireface UC (newest firmware 128) ,
- I use the newest UC driver 407
- I definitely allowed the security question
- Ableton 10, running on rosetta
- M1 MacBook Air with OS Ventura 13.0

* Totalmix is working correctly (It connects to the sound card and I can see the input meters work when I put signals in)
* I can select the Fireface UC in Ableton as in and output device

***but no sound ever arrives in Ableton, it pretends zero input happening (on all inputs) even WHILE total mix shows input happening

***outputs work fine (I can generate sound in Ableton and route it on any Fireface Output I want, works like a charm)

(edited: also wanna add that in another audio application I can get the fireface input). will also try in Ableton forum, but maybe someone here has a hint.

<<<<SOLVED>>>>>>
issue was not related to RME. I solved it by going to MacOs security settings and allowing Ableton to use the Microphone.

nclsimbert wrote:

Hi all,

I tried everything I could find on RME's forum, no luck.

I cannot get any sound into ableton live suite 11 although I can hear and see it in TotalMix just fine.

Set up:
I have a Fireface UC. 
Macbook pro M2
Ableton live suite 11

All worked well on my PC laptop until now and my mac before that for the past 10 years.

I just got this new mac and installed the new RME drivers and flash update on it. All went well. I did allow RME via the startup utility (the kernel thing..). All good.

Both my mac and Ableton do see the Fireface UC for input and output. Appropriate sound channels are active in Ableton. It all should work.

I even reinstalled Ableton, updated the drivers of my synth, tried with my guitar, tried input 3/4 and 5/6 of my fireface, did many reboots. I even switched the Fireface UC on Mac mode (AP instead of PC). No sound goes into Ableton.

What to do ?

Hello all !

Same problem here :

I have the following configuration :
Apple Macbook pro with M2
RME Fireface UCX
Ableton Live Suite 11

Before I had a PC with Windows 10, no problem.

The signal is definitely here in TotalMix and I can hear it. But my inputs in Ableton Live stay blank... No signal.

If you have any solution I am up to it,

Thank you,

Julien

julien1763 wrote:

Hello all !

Same problem here :

I have the following configuration :
Apple Macbook pro with M2
RME Fireface UCX
Ableton Live Suite 11

Before I had a PC with Windows 10, no problem.

The signal is definitely here in TotalMix and I can hear it. But my inputs in Ableton Live stay blank... No signal.

If you have any solution I am up to it,

Thank you,

Julien

What about the macOS privacy/security settings? Is the 'microphone' allowed for Ableton Live?

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

7 (edited by Jaroslav_Stika 2023-12-23 22:00:18)

I had a similar issue on my Mac, and it drove me nuts for days. I tried all the obvious stuff – updating drivers, checking connections, even reinstalling the software – but no luck. Then I remembered a tip I read about on FAQ Audio. A guy there suggested checking the audio settings in Ableton itself, not just the Mac system preferences. Sure enough, I hadn't selected the correct output in Ableton’s preferences. Felt a bit silly when I realized it was such a simple fix.

Ableton 11 seems to be a problem child.
I did test with a Ableton 11 version from internet and had the same result. No input channels arrived in Ableton.
Then later I found a newer version Ableton 12beta and it works fine !

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue