Topic: Using two Digiface USB at same time Windows 10/11

Hello all,

I have a hybrid mixing setup.

PC > Digiface USB > Ferrofish Pulse 16 & Apogee DA16X > Dangerous 2Bus LT & Dangerous 2Bus+ > RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE > Back into Digiface USB to computer > then back into ADI-2 Pro for monitoring.

Digiface handles all routing of digital channels, pulse 16 and DA16X handle all DA conversion, and the ADI-2 Pro handles all AD conversion and DA conversion for monitoring of DAW master bus. I do have plans to get a HDSPE Madi PCI card and a Madi capable DA converter (Pulse 16 can do it with SFP upgrade card - but not the Apogee), but not for some time.

I currently run at 48khz sample rate, but I want to run at 96khz. Due to SMUX, my channel count will be cut in half. Is it possible to connect two RME Digiface USBs to the same computer to get back to 32 channels of ADAT output at 96khz?

Both my DA converters will allow me to operate 16 channels via SMUX/2 at 96khz sample rate. My only bottleneck is the Digiface output channel count getting cut in half. This will only work if I can use all 4 output ADAT channels from both Digiface devices at the same time. If I can connect one ADAT output of a Digiface to the other Digiface Input, sacrificing 4 digital channels will not work. Unless the two inter-connected Digiface devices only require 1-2 channels, then I can use a Toslink splitter.

Please let me know your thoughts!

Production, Mixing, and Mastering services - www.summithousestudio.com

Re: Using two Digiface USB at same time Windows 10/11

If you can somehow have both digifaces as slaves and sync the whole setup from one of the external devices it can work.  So one external device is master and another external device slave to that one and that second one then master to the digiface. It sounds more complicated then it is but the external devices must be able to sync through another connection then their adat ports, so either word clock or spdif or aes.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Thanks for the reply. I am using the ADI-2 Pro FS as the master clock which sends the signal back through ADAT into the Digiface - in the MadiFace driver settings, I select the ADAT to clock the device. I think I may be able to feed the ADAT output of one of the DAs into the second Digiface input and select the input as ADAT clock sync.

Do you think this would work?

Hello Vinark,

If I use two Digiface devices, will they both operate from one TotalMix FX, or will it be two instances of TotalMix?

I thought if it’s the same driver it’s one but let rme reply as I’m not sure

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

CtrlFreq wrote:

Hello Vinark,

If I use two Digiface devices, will they both operate from one TotalMix FX, or will it be two instances of TotalMix?

Yep, two instances of TM FX.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

So would it show as one interface in a DAW so not using aggregate on Mac or asio4all on a pc?

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

8 (edited by ramses 2023-03-01 07:31:47)

I was perhaps a bit terse, but also information about what OS was missing.

Regarding Windows: should be clear that ASIO4ALL is a not supported setup, right?
Adds another driver layer on top of all interfaces … Not so cool. Kind of "ugly" workaround.
From vendor perspective, not supported setup.

Again, as there is no backplane between interfaces … Two instances, routing over DAW with full RTL.
You can compensate for it by connecting the interfaces through ADAT.
Possibly, you "sacrifice" a "precious" ADAT port for such a cross-connect, but maybe you use one for clock synch anyway.

Additional information in e.g. this thread, we had this topic already quite often in the forum.
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=36836

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I would never recommend asio4all. This just interested me with two same interfaces if it could work as one.

Hmmm. I don't know if two instances of TotalMix will work for me. I need more I/O to SMUX at 96khz so I would be losing 8 channels of my analog summing if I interconnect the two, but if I don't then I have to deal with the two separate instances of TM.

If I run TM in DAW mode, I can still send the output channels to the two separate TM instances, right? If that is how it works, I can pull my analog input back into the DAW through the ADI-2 Pro FS, then it should work.