Topic: Room Correction DSP in TMFX

Greetings, intelligent people of the world. My reason for writing today is to request an expansion of TMFX to include some room correction options. Initially, I posted the following on GS under the UFXIII announcement. It got a few likes and supporting statements and a request from another user that I post it here.

Given the rise of DSP-enabled speakers and users becoming more aware of DSP-assisted loudspeaker integration, I humbly suggest that TMFX inherits a few relevant features for user convenience and RME-level stability. The original comment follows:

“TMFX could benefit from some room-correction options like subwoofer delay, maybe a few more EQ nodes. Like how they have an assignable Control Room section, they could put extra bass management options on one or two sub outs. Ideally, something that would take a filter setup from Room EQ Wizard.“

In the end, RME products are unique among pro audio options because they’re used both in the creative and consumer sides of the fence; BFP or the ADI line to be specific. Point being, this crossover contributes to more RME users potentially being aware of room-correction DSP. Too often, we have to investigate third-party options like miniDSP or settle for what’s onboard a loudspeaker. Since RME already does DSP and has the platform to implement these features, and it could be done in an unobtrusive and stable way, I think it’s worth considering.

This is not a time-sensitive issue so please feel free not to respond; I’m not looking for a reply nor a debate.

Thank you,
Michael

Re: Room Correction DSP in TMFX

+1 for more eq nodes especially. And the option to create a ARC controllable ATMOS buss. I'm inevitably at some point going to enter the Atmos arena and to have the output controlled via the ARC Remote would be huge!! 'SPEAKER B' could be the Atmos buss..

Windows 11 / Nuendo 12 / UFX+ / M-1610 Pro / ADI-2 Pro FS R / Sonnet USB 3.0 PCIe

+1 I posted similar features request in the past. More EQ nodes for room correction of even headphone correction are very welcome.

I'm more than fine to disable FX on every other channels to get this

+1!

I'd be happy with a simple subwoofer option im TM already.

+1

They'd sell a bunch of Arcs if they added this kind of functionality.

+1

I started using the EQ for Room/ speaker correction and also would love more EQ nodes and the ability to have separate EQ for left and right speakers. I can EQ the most disturbing resonances with the 3 bands in mono, but I would very much appreciate a finer tuned EQ option for speakers/ phones.

7 (edited by Lipaz 2023-11-10 09:55:12)

+1 We understand all the other alternatives, but it should not withhold RME (nor UAD etc.) to implement a room correction option (maybe with several insert slots for more speaker options?) on main out.
1. I think a convolution .wav could be a great option for those, who already understand room measurements and can create their own file with aggregated filters.
2. And there should be an option to either accomodate EQ for similar reason for those who just want quick adjustments. Similarly to ADI’s 5-band per channel EQ, but with much more bands. ADI’s solution is quite OK to dial in house curves quickly, but not for detailed room correction.
3. And maybe a SW SoundID project file insert would be a plus.

So why not in TMFX? Program is there, DSP is there… if I can do similar things in CamillaDSP without being a programmer, RME should have way better and quicker solution.
Whoever will create such options in its converter or its mixing software, will have much more profit. For me, it is a no brainer to jump on this wagon.

Introduced today for UFXIII

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

mattrixx wrote:

Introduced today for UFXIII

What do you mean? Do you have a link/URL?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

10 (edited by cigame 2023-11-10 17:40:41)

Go to the RME YouTube channel.
They released a video from the Tonmeister Tagung Düsseldorf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja-qxkIqbWY

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

When will it come? With 1.86 final or later release?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

This is big. And according to RME comments in the video, this will come to a list of devices, not just UFX III. I would guess any of the more recent devices? And it will include Crossfade! Looking forward to this.

UCX II, Quadmic II, ADI-2 DAC FS
Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thedilettantepianist

Data wrote:

This is big. And according to RME comments in the video, this will come to a list of devices, not just UFX III. I would guess any of the more recent devices? And it will include Crossfade! Looking forward to this.

Not to be pedantic, but that is "crossfeed". The relationship and spill between L + R with contributing delay to simulate real life in headphones.

----------------
----------------

Good catch!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

UCX or 802 as well? :-) Or not? :-(

Saw the video yesterday. This is incredible news! Matthias I remember you hinting to watch this space in another thread recently:-)

Exactly what I was hoping for and just another reinforcement of why we love RME. To implement this in hardware DSP at very low latency makes it better than any software only solution could be.

And Matt Mackenzie Smith how funny we re just talking about this elsewhere recently....

Officially excited for the update drop....

paulnajar wrote:

And Matt Mackenzie Smith how funny we re just talking about this elsewhere recently....

Officially excited for the update drop....

Yeah, how about that.   So cool. :-)

----------------
----------------

Can we expect it to be available on the UFX II?
Thx!

olivierarson wrote:

Can we expect it to be available on the UFX II?
Thx!

I am really hoping so and I for one would be cool with dropping the Reverb and Delay FX section, if more DSP was required.

----------------
----------------

+1

As long term software support for their hardware is one of their strengths, I have hope that RME makes it possible on the older generation UFX+, UFX II...
I think the original UFX has less DSP power, but I am sure many would happily trade in the Reverb/Echo or still enjoy the correction option on fewer channels than what will be possible on the UFX III.

Can you guys share the time frame on this update? Coming soon?????? So excited for it!

Wow, this is great news, indeed! Too bad I already spent money on Dirac software solutions. But nonetheless this will be a welcome addition, as it is completely free of added latency, which helps a lot with playing midi instruments or recoding while monitoring though headphones. I just hope this comes with multichannel monitoring (which would also replace my expensive monitoring controller in the future once it will stop working) and bass management. I know that bass management is already kind of doable by using the send FX, but it would be great to have a dedicated tool for this within the correction EQ or monitoring section. This would make RME products just perfect for studios that don't like spending ridiculous amounts of cash for all sorts of niche equipment.

hselters wrote:

+1

As long term software support for their hardware is one of their strengths, I have hope that RME makes it possible on the older generation UFX+, UFX II...
I think the original UFX has less DSP power, but I am sure many would happily trade in the Reverb/Echo or still enjoy the correction option on fewer channels than what will be possible on the UFX III.

I would start looking at the interfaces in the following document from RME that have full DSP support:

https://rme-audio.com/files/downloads/M … Mix-FX.pdf

I bet that those are more likely to support Room EQ in the future.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=38411

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME