Topic: ADI 2/4 SE mute headphones & line outs independently

Hi all,
I am currently enjoying my ADI 2/4 se as my mixing/mastering interface. I ve ended up using the 1/2 in/out as my hardware loop & the 3/4 for my monitoring output. The quality is amazing. I have two questions/suggestions that would take the workflow to a next level.
1) I would love to ideally mute the 3/4 headphones & the 3/4 line outs independently. This would be handy for checking things in headphones without having to turn of the speakers. If this is not possible, a workaround could be to have third Rear TRS source to the menu as a "No trs out" in order to mute the speakers & listen to headphones. Setting it to 1/2 wouldn't work if it is currently used as a hardware loop.
2) There is a loopback option where you can feed an input based on this output. It could be handy to be able to route this to an output instead in order to connect a digital meter to the pre FX of 3/4. Or an alternative would to route this to the SPIDF input as it already is, and be able to route the SPIDF In directly to the SPDIF output (for example).

If any of this is already available, I would love to hear how. Using the 1/2 as HW is crucial for pro tools since, it requires the in/out to match I think. Thanks in advance.

2 (edited by KaiS 2023-04-22 14:34:57)

Re: ADI 2/4 SE mute headphones & line outs independently

smile @MC - this is one of the situations I mentioned about full separation and equally equipping of 1/2 and 3/4 paths with “Rear TRS Source Ph. 3/4” active.
————————-

1) Functionally, 1/2 is meant to be used for monitoring, 3/4 for auxiliary functions like an Analog FX Loop.

Quality of XLRs and Rear TRSs is the same.

Only that Rear TRSs are impedance balanced and therefore limited to a full scale output of 19 dBu (plus additional 3 dB of headroom).
Protools doesn’t care (or even know) which analog I/O you use.

• Use 1/2 for main speaker and ‘phones monitoring -
3/4 for the analog FX Mastering Chain, or as secondary headphones output for tracking with another musician.
• Activate: “Rear TRS Source Ph. 3/4” (you probably already have).
• Set: Phones 3/4 Out Ref Level to Hi-Power (≙ TRS +19 dBu).
• Set: Analog Input Ref Level to +19 dBu.
• Set 3/4 volume to 0 dB and 3/4 Lock Volume: ”ON”.
This way you have unity gain through analog out’s to analog in’s FX loop.

• Set: SETUP / Options / Phones / Mute v. Ph 1/2: ON.
This way plugging PH1/2 (‘phones) mutes the XLRs (monitor speakers).

• Or, if you like to leave ‘phones plugged, set:
SETUP / Options / Phones / Mute v. Ph 1/2: ON
and use:
SETUP / Options / Phones / Toggle Ph/Line: “Ph 1/2”
to manually change between speakers and PH 1/2.

This function can be assigned to a remote button.

2) In “Class Compliant Multi-channel mode” (see manual page 43) you can address each of ADI-2’s analog and digital outputs individually.
(To change this, temporarily unplug USB, with USB connected the setting is blocked).
So, within Protools you can re-route every signal you like to ADI-2’s digital outs for metering.

Re: ADI 2/4 SE mute headphones & line outs independently

Dear KaiS,
thank you very much once again. Will chain my routing to incorporate the 1/2 for my monitoring. Though regarding pro tools in order to use it as an insert the ins/outs number needs to be matching unless I am missing something, or if there is way to trick/configure the pro tools. Regarding the second one, this is how I am already using it, but I would like to observe also the output outside of pro tools for referencing. My current work around is to use a desktop version of a plug in & route the SPIDF IN to the SPDIF out, but this has several problems due to having to check sample rate each time & closing it when opening pro tools.