Topic: DigiCheck NG for Windows – first beta public release - now available

DigiCheck NG for Windows – first public release

DIGICheck for Windows and Mac is a collection of very useful meters and audio visualization tools, used and loved by many. The constantly changing Mac OS (first to OS X, now macOS) made it necessary to re-program the whole application. That allowed us to use the latest tools of the OS to teleport DIGICheck into the 21st century – with updated, much more modern graphics, full scalability, even better performance, a new concept with multiple instruments in one window, new meters and functions...DigiCheck NG (Next Generation) for Mac is currently available in version 0.90b5, see here:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=37298

DC NG has become so good that DIGICheck on Windows looks and feels quite outdated – if you had the chance to use DC NG for some time. Therefore we are very pleased to present a fully working version of DigiCheck NG for Windows! It is based on the same code as DC NG for Mac, being in most ways identical in features and functions.

The downloaded zip includes an msi installer. The app also includes help in German and English in case you need to look anything up. But most things should be easy to find out, just try the menu and right click in any instrument.

Some things to note, especially if you know DIGICheck 5.x already:

- Both programs can run at the same time, so it is easy to check and compare and adapt etc.

- DC NG for Windows currently does not have the Channel Status feature (via TMS). This will be added later.

- There is no hardware support anymore for direct display of level data. DC NG runs on ASIO exclusively.

- There are some small details missing - we know that and will add these over time. Just be patient, please.

- In one of the next updates the number of instruments in one window will be raised to 5, in a later state maybe even to 6.

- DC NG for Windows supports any monitor refresh rate. Under Mac OS this is adjustable (in DC NG Preferences/Settings). Under Windows the 'internal' refresh rate of the graphics card is used. Note that higher refresh rates cause higher GPU loads, exterme high ones also high CPU loads. Disabling vertical sync in the graphics card’s setting is no good idea, because DC NG will then run at (for example) 1400 Hz (!), and cause significant CPU and GPU load – basically for nothing, as the monitor still runs on and displays only 60, 144 or 240 Hz (examples).

In fact the code improvements in the new DC NG also cause a better, smoother display. This can be seen and verified on the Mac when limiting the refresh rate for DC NG to 30 Hz (independent from the monitor's refesh rate) – it still looks very nice and not jumpy/stuttering. This also means that there is no significant win when using it at a crazy rate like 240 Hz. 60 Hz is more than enough. So don’t think you miss something when your system works 'only' at 60 Hz (most do).

BTW, the current refresh rate is shown in the bottom right side of the DC NG window.

Dowload:

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/digi … n_063b.zip

Latest update 06/28/2023 - link is 0.63 beta. See post 100 for details: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 06#p204506

Special thanks go out to Ramses for his help in bringing DC NG into a public release state.

And now: enjoy!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

2 (edited by ramses 2023-05-08 18:07:41)

Re: DigiCheck NG for Windows – first beta public release - now available

Thanks, Matthias :-)

DC NG is and looks really cool, thanks for the efforts, I like it much.

Here my new DigiCheck Workspace, it fits nicely on my Full-HD screen and looks really amazing:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s74xmobt8696zk7/2023-05-08%20DC%20NG%20Windows.jpg?dl=1

BTW: the Global Level Meter on top shows all 188 Input and SW Playback channels.

Nice functionality in combination with Cubase: I can open and close the DAW window with a key combination (ALT <Numkey>) that is there to switch between different Cubase workplaces. This way I can quickly see the DigiCheck workspace. Good if you only have one screen.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Great news, many thanks for this!

4 (edited by Babaluma 2023-05-08 16:17:04)

Thanks, I thought this would never come!

Can I install it safely without wiping out the old Digicheck? Would like to run both side by side if possible, to compare.

[EDIT] I see the answer above is "Yes", thank you!

OK, it installed fine but when I click on its shortcut icon or directly on the .exe file, nothing happens. Win 11 Pro 22H2. GTX 1660 with latest drivers. Restarted PC after installing, still nothing happens.

https://musicwall.app/hermetech

RME still rocks!
Thanks for doing this!

Robbie Ost / go!EASTstudios
MADI FX, 2x Express Card,2x Multiface 2

@Babaluma: Me and Ramses saw that too, but I thought it is caused by former betas that had run on our computers. Seems not. The app will run at some point, try a few more times. But we will still try to fix that quickly, of course.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by Babaluma 2023-05-08 16:49:42)

Thanks, I've tried twenty or more times and still nothing. It's quite strange, if you click the shortcut from the the Windows "Programs" folder via Explorer, it also closes the Explorer window when it tries to run. Bizarre, but fingers crossed will work eventually!

same here..nothing happens after clicking Digicheck NG

Robbie Ost / go!EASTstudios
MADI FX, 2x Express Card,2x Multiface 2

Found it! DC NG includes a search for windows that are called DigiCheck NG - this is a standard method for preventing the program to be started multiple times. But this search is incomplete, it reacts on ANY window with DgiCheck NG in its title. For example have the browser with this forum thread open - DC NG will not start. Close the browser (closing the tab of this thread is not enough) - it starts.

New version coming!

Edit: new version 0.61beta is up, see link in first post.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes, I closed this window in Edge and then it finally ran, haha! Looking forward to having a play now.

Telepathy brought me here, thanks RME! Great job!
Would be nice if there is a possibility for 4+ layouts

RME HDSPe AIO| RME Fireface 400 | RME HDSP 9632 | RME WCM | AEB4-O | AEB4-I | AO4S-192 | AI4S-192

Dinko wrote:

OP says possibly up to 6 in future!

13 (edited by ramses 2023-05-08 20:10:33)

Babaluma wrote:
Dinko wrote:

OP says possibly up to 6 in future!

My favourite would be a "variable" layout to be able to achieve this workspace in one DC NG instance.

TTTTTTTTTTTT  _0X
XXXXX1XXXXX XXX
XX2XX  XX3XX X6X
XX4XX  XX5XX XXX

Then you would loose only 1 time the vertical space for a Windows title ("T").
I have already a 16:10 monitor with 1200 pixel vertical (Full HD has normally 1080) and this is already "tight" in terms of space.
Therefore I would welcome much to get a little bit more of vertical space.
I have only room for 1 screen and think I will stay on this screen resolution for even longer time, thats my personal sweet spot.
Surely also a win for people working on Laptops where you also have Full-HD resol.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I felt so excited to find out this was available! I've been jealous of the Mac folks since it released. I've been using DigiCheck since around 2005 and has been with me through so many stages of my career. Can't wait to see how this develops smile

Thank you @MC and RME!!
And @Ramses, too!!

I 'll download, now, and report back if I find anything!
I, actually, liked the "old" version a lot. It puts me in a "lab mode" kind-of feeling, where everything works for practicality and not "looks". smile

But, of course, a new "toy" is, always, very-very much welcome! smile
So, again, Thank you!!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Feedback ?
Mouse scrolling in the input/playback settings does not work (yet). It is now cumbersome using only the arrows up and down (Madi hdspe here.)
Otherwise great piece of work. Would like to have Atmos metering support, though...
Georg

17 (edited by Rob Sinistral 2023-05-09 14:36:33)

NG is amazing. Thank you so much! :-)

Spectral Analyser phosphorescence... *big grin

All features that I've checked so far work fine!

An 'Always on top' option would be super cool, unless I'm missing something, of course.

Many Thanks
Rob

Windows 11
Version 22H2
OS Build 22621.1555

Yeah I've been playing with it all day, it's fabulous, much better than the old one, thank you!

I only ever use Two Channel Level Meter, Vector Audio Scope and Spectral Analyser, I've managed to get the settings the same for old and NG, the only thing that's slightly different is the Vector Scope's timings, the old one had two release times, the new one only has one, and I have to crank its timing a bit higher to get the same kind of look, but it's not a problem.

I'd like a few more layouts available if possible, but assume it will be added to over time.

It looks incredible on my 55" 4K TV in full screen mode!

hey not working on windows 11 there is some erore after instal  ( returned 80070057 at 109)

This is such good news!!! Thank you Matthias!

Working great on W11 here...

And a really special thank you to RAMSES!!!

Windows 11 / Nuendo 12 / UFX+ / M-1610 Pro / ADI-2 Pro FS R / Sonnet USB 3.0 PCIe

Just a quick one - the Vector Audio Scope display is reversed. Not a problem, I just reversed the input selection.

Vector Audio Scope + Spectral Analyser + Two Channel Level Meter full screen on my second monitor, it's looking great!

Windows 11 / Nuendo 12 / UFX+ / M-1610 Pro / ADI-2 Pro FS R / Sonnet USB 3.0 PCIe

ouriel.elk wrote:

hey not working on windows 11 there is some erore after instal  ( returned 80070057 at 109)

When does this occurr? After starting DC NG? Which version the 0.60 or 0.61?
Maybe a screenshot would be useful.

I see in this thread that also another person has no issues with Win11 and I also tried it with my test installation, no issues.

What Win11 version do you have exactly?

Just another quick one: the option for 'Always On Top'

24 (edited by ouriel.elk 2023-05-09 17:13:51)

ramses wrote:
ouriel.elk wrote:

When does this occurr? After starting DC NG? Which version the 0.60 or 0.61?
Maybe a screenshot would be useful.

I see in this thread that also another person has no issues with Win11 and I also tried it with my test installation, no issues.

What Win11 version do you have exactly?

When i start  digichek its just show me this message

last version of windows maybe because amd processor ?

version 0.61

how can i upload a screenshot ?

25 (edited by weirddose2000 2023-05-09 17:28:02)

How long have I been waiting for this.. Really thanks.
Waiting to run successfully.
I am currently getting an error message when I try to run the DigiCheck NG

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz   3.40 GHz
Windows 11 Home Insider 22H2

https://i.imgur.com/JLFC8wC.png

www.weirddose.co.il

weirddose2000 wrote:

How long have I been waiting for this.. Really thanks.
Waiting to run successfully.
I am currently getting an error message when I try to run the DigiCheck NG

Windows 11 Home Insider 22H2

https://i.imgur.com/JLFC8wC.png

same problem

Hmm, insider is a preview, not a release version, not 100% sure whether this might be an issue.

georgob wrote:

Feedback ?
Mouse scrolling in the input/playback settings does not work (yet). It is now cumbersome using only the arrows up and down (Madi hdspe here.)

It gets only cumbersome if you try to select playback channels far down in a long list. For that simply uncheck 'Inputs', and no scrolling anymore...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

weirddose2000 wrote:

How long have I been waiting for this.. Really thanks. Waiting to run successfully. I am currently getting an error message when I try to run the DigiCheck NG

Windows 11 Home Insider 22H2[

It looks like DC NG uses graphics routines that your system does not support. You seem to use the Intel HD4600 included in your CPU (which is from 2013 - 10 years back!). At this time it is unclear if we can make it compatible. You can wait a bit to find out. Or invest into something cheap like a GT1030 that solves this (and maybe other) issues.

For too old systems simply use the existing DIGICheck. It was not our plan to bloat the new, slim and straight forward programmed DC NG with redundant code to make it work everywhere, adding time into programming that is better used for adding new, exciting features.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

This is working very well.

Windows 10 Home 64bit 22H2
Babyface Pro FS
Drive version 1.243
Hardware Revision 203

Absolute stunning... works nicely here and its just the best meters around, thanks for this

MC wrote:
georgob wrote:

Feedback ?

It gets only cumbersome if you try to select playback channels far down in a long list. For that simply uncheck 'Inputs', and no scrolling anymore...

OK, I understand, it just felt like an oversight.
Also when I have e.g. channel63 selected and then want to change it, the menu is not automatically locating the selected channel 63, but instead shows from channel1 again.
As said, nothing major, but feels not as I would expect it. Maybe my screen resolution and screen size is too low, so that it cannot fit 64 channels.

Georg

I didn't mean to say we can't or won't optimize that later on...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Is it normal that the DC measurement in Digicheck NG is not as smooth as in the previous version?
I have left the integration time setting at its default value ("Auto").

Here's an animated gif to show the difference between the two with the same input:

https://i.imgur.com/8PbMfcp.gif

35 (edited by CKBAudio 2023-05-10 15:10:10)

This is amazing, I'm glad it came to Windows!
Would be awesome if it had a right-click option for vertical and horizontal splits in the current pane rather than predefined Instrument Layouts.

Being able to define colors with json/css would also be funky.
Great work!

EDIT: Also 'always on top' option and bi-quadrature filtering on the spectrum display would be a bonus! smile

Amazing guys!! Thank you very much! smile

It looks like DC NG uses graphics routines that your system does not support. You seem to use the Intel HD4600 included in your CPU (which is from 2013 - 10 years back!). At this time it is unclear if we can make it compatible. You can wait a bit to find out. Or invest into something cheap like a GT1030 that solves this (and maybe other) issues.

For too old systems simply use the existing DIGICheck. It was not our plan to bloat the new, slim and straight forward programmed DC NG with redundant code to make it work everywhere, adding time into programming that is better used for adding new, exciting features.

Thank you very much for the information.
You were absolutely right.
I brought a GTX1050 video card and it works perfectly.
Thank you perfect service.

www.weirddose.co.il

Really a welcome upgrade thank you for that.
I would be happy if it was possible to have an option like there is in DIGICheck.
Function > Totalizer. Or set it to Instruments > 3 horizontal.
Also an option for 'always on top' would be perfect.
TNX

www.weirddose.co.il

1. Always on top will come.
2. Three horizontal will come.
3. Bi-Quad filters in the Spectral Analyzer - have been there from the beginning.
4. We'll check the DC refresh speed, thanks for noting.
5. We might add a workaround for the above Error 109 issue which disables the Vector Audio Scope, but the rest would work.

Stay tuned and until then happy testing again!

*2: The current layout made me add the level meter as horizontal one at the bottom. One gets used to this quickly, and the proportions are perfectly for that as well. Try it...

https://www.archiv.rme-audio.de/images/dcng_triple_small.png

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Matthias! Yip, I'm literally using that layout...

Hey, Thank you for this release. I practically stopped expecting this to arrive so it was a pleasant surprise smile

I understand it's just a first beta so I am not here to complain, just want to report a bug I haven't seen mentioned yet:

I had one window open with horizontal layout showing two spectral analysers. I played around and created a new window with vector scope. Didn't like the setup so I wanted to close the vector scope window and it crashed both digicheck windows. When I restart digicheck now, it opens with both windows again and when I try to close the vector scope, it kills both windows again. I am now unable to get back to that original single window.

Some additional notes:

a.) Seems like recent workspaces list doesn't populate. I have created my workspace and I have to manually browse for the file to load it.
b.) Before I saved my workspace, the settings didn't persist and I had to configure inputs and settings every time I opened the app. Not a big deal, just wasn't sure if that's working as expected.

Looking forward to seeing future updates!

MC wrote:

1. Always on top will come.
2. Three horizontal will come.
3. Bi-Quad filters in the Spectral Analyzer - have been there from the beginning.
4. We'll check the DC refresh speed, thanks for noting.
5. We might add a workaround for the above Error 109 issue which disables the Vector Audio Scope, but the rest would work.

Stay tuned and until then happy testing again!

*2: The current layout made me add the level meter as horizontal one at the bottom. One gets used to this quickly, and the proportions are perfectly for that as well. Try it...

https://www.archiv.rme-audio.de/images/dcng_triple_small.png

That layout looks great! It would be nice to have the Horizontal Meter function for the other level meters too (I like to use the R128 Loudness Meter without the Integrated stuff).

blrn wrote:

I had one window open with horizontal layout showing two spectral analysers. I played around and created a new window with vector scope. Didn't like the setup so I wanted to close the vector scope window and it crashed both digicheck windows. When I restart digicheck now, it opens with both windows again and when I try to close the vector scope, it kills both windows again. I am now unable to get back to that original single window.

Please send us the file

User/<Username>/AppData/Local/DigiCheckNG/lastState.Analyser.xml

as we need to check why this is misbehaving.

Then delete the file from that path. DC NG will start in default mode.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hmm, I'm unable to get NG working on my win 10/8GB/PC

"Returned 80070057 at 109"  is the error message
I'll work at this, check my graphics settings and compatibility  etc.
Has anyone else had a similar message?

sleizen wrote:

Hmm, I'm unable to get NG working on my win 10/8GB/PC

"Returned 80070057 at 109"  is the error message
I'll work at this, check my graphics settings and compatibility  etc.
Has anyone else had a similar message?

This?
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 35#p202235

yes I read that. Wouldn't be a big deal but it's somehow deleted my Totalmix completely. UCX on, then PC on, not recognised, program has just disappeared, no host light on the UCX.
I'm just reinstalling the drivers so I'll keep you posted...

47 (edited by anoise 2023-05-12 09:11:50)

Awesome, thanks for the windows version. It’s much better than the old one. I use DigiCheck every day. Playing around with it, I had some ideas I would like to share:
• A global input selector
• Customizable colors
• Option to hide the menu bar (when hidden, move it to the right click menu or add a shortcut to bring back the bar)
• Add more “instruments” like an oscilloscope and spectrogram?
Thanks!

My new "Totalyser":
https://i.imgur.com/HLNkbUF.png

The window is getting smaller and I am getting an error that I can't make it bigger.
https://youtu.be/6X-B8Qx-jPw

Returned 80070057 at 206

Reinstalling did not fix it.

NientG wrote:

The window is getting smaller and I am getting an error that I can't make it bigger.
https://youtu.be/6X-B8Qx-jPw

Returned 80070057 at 206

Reinstalling did not fix it.

You tried post #43?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Sorry.
I didn't read past posts.
I tried #43 and it fixed it.
Thank you.