Topic: Multiple RME HDSP-cards (latency problem)

I just return from a location recording, using the following setup:

RME-Micstasy
RME ADI-648
RME ADI-8 DS
RME HDSP-9652 Card
RME HDSP-MADI Card
Sequoia 9.1.1
RME-Driver 3.02

The configuration was:

RME Micstasy connected with HDSP-MADI via optical MADI, Recording through the Sequoia. Mixer-Output Sequoia routed to HDSP-9653. HDSP-9652 connected via ADAT to INPUT of ADI8 DS for anlogue monitoring.

MADI-Input of HDSP-MADI routed via RME router to MADI-OUT. MADI-OUT BNC was connected to ADI-648. Inputs 1-8 were routed to ADAT-OUT 1 for backup recording on a TASCAM-2424.

My problem:
==========
Unpredictable chances of latency between MADI Input-signals and OUTPUT-signals via HDSP-9652.

It happended during the recordings that we suddenly had a click on the analogue monitors and then a latency of aprrox. 300-400 msec, this means that the playback of the analogue signal was delayed by almost half a second.

Has anyone on this list (incl. Herr Carstens) an idea where those problems are coming from?

Thanks and regards

Andreas Neubronner

Andreas Neubronner
Tritonus Musikproduktion GmbH, Stuttgart (Germany)
www.tritonus.de

Re: Multiple RME HDSP-cards (latency problem)

Hello,

you did not mention the basic stuff: had MADI card and 9652 been synced by a word clock connection (BNC cable MADI out to 9652 in)? That would explain the problem perfectly...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Dear Mr. Carstens,

in fact we didn't slave the HDSP-9652 at the beginning. Our fault. Will never happen again .-)).

But also running the HDSP-9652 as slave of the HDSP-MADI didn't solve the problem. Probably we did something wrong but I'm quite sure that at the end we had a configuration which you mentioned above.

In general we found that it semms to be complicated to run more than one HDSP-card at a time. Are there any possible problems? Is it probaly caused be the chipset or interrupt conflicts.

With only one card all of our 5 recording systems are working perfectly.

Thanks for your quick reply!

Andreas Neubronner
www.tritonus.de

Hello,

nice to see you here...

There is no general problem with the use of more than one HDSP card. This is likely to be a problem of an individual configuration.

tritonus wrote:

MADI-Input of HDSP-MADI routed via RME router to MADI-OUT. MADI-OUT BNC was connected to ADI-648. Inputs 1-8 were routed to ADAT-OUT 1 for backup recording on a TASCAM-2424.

Hope you won't mind the comment, but this setup does not provide full redundancy in case of a computer crash. You could connect the Micstasy to the 648, and split the signal to several destinations with the 648's matrix, i.e. to the MADI card and the Tascam.

It happended during the recordings that we suddenly had a click on the analogue monitors and then a latency of aprrox. 300-400 msec, this means that the playback of the analogue signal was delayed by almost half a second.

Are you referring to actual playback of the recorded signal during the recording, or just monitoring (hardware/software)?

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

tritonus wrote:

But also running the HDSP-9652 as slave of the HDSP-MADI didn't solve the problem.

With only one card all of our 5 recording systems are working perfectly.

Well, even with such a WC cable connection one can still do something wrong, especially with so many gear involved...

There is no general problem, but using the MADI card plus a 9652 means a lot of system load to the computer. The effect that you describe is caused by the position of the second card running away so that the buffer size wraps around - then the data is delayed by multiple buffer sizes. This happens when the cards are not synced, or the PCI bus is overloaded. An ASIO reset (or just changing the buffer size) will resync everything.

As far as I understand you don't need all these channels. Then it might help if you disable all unused channels in the ASIO inputs and outputs panel (hotkey Z or Y...uuuh, tooo early...).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by tritonus 2007-06-10 08:59:46)

Hallo Herr Fuchs, hallo Herr Carstens,

now, since everybody is asking detailled question, here the full story:

As long as you don't have a MADI-equipped DA-converter, you need the RME-648 for converting the signal from MADI to ADAT an so on. This is what we did. The problem was that we couldn't get in contact with the Micstasy via RME MIDI-remote. I don't know what the reason was (possible ID-conflicts between the 648 and the Micstasy?). Anyway we decided to route the MADI-out of the computer into the RME 648. This worked well although it was clear to me that in the case of a computer crash the backup signal would be lost.

What I want to point out is that also with only two HDSP-9652 in the one computer (not MADI-card involved) we had during the last months a lot of problems with Sequoia and the RME cards. The standard message Sequoia gave was: lost ASIO-buffers.

So my question is: where we have to tweak the system? On the RME-driver, on the Sequoia preferences, on both or on the computer hardware, i.e. PCI-slots)?

Or will possibly the new PCI-e architecture solve the problems?

Thanks and have a nice Sunday

Andreas Neubronner
www.tritonus.de

Hello,

tritonus wrote:

As long as you don't have a MADI-equipped DA-converter, you need the RME-648 for converting the signal from MADI to ADAT an so on. This is what we did. The problem was that we couldn't get in contact with the Micstasy via RME MIDI-remote. I don't know what the reason was (possible ID-conflicts between the 648 and the Micstasy?).

What's the Micstasy's firmware version (displayed at startup)?

Anyway we decided to route the MADI-out of the computer into the RME 648. This worked well although it was clear to me that in the case of a computer crash the backup signal would be lost.

Is that output from the computer a mixed-down signal for monitoring? Or are you routing individual channels to the ADI-8 for external mixing and monitoring? If so, inserting the 648 between Mictasy and MADI card will allow you to split the sigal three ways, to the PC, the ADI-8, and the backup recorder.

What I want to point out is that also with only two HDSP-9652 in the one computer (not MADI-card involved) we had during the last months a lot of problems with Sequoia and the RME cards. The standard message Sequoia gave was: lost ASIO-buffers.

Again, not a general issue. Can you provide some details about the PC? Does this also happen with Sequoia 8.x? Does it happen at higher latencies?

So my question is: where we have to tweak the system? On the RME-driver, on the Sequoia preferences, on both or on the computer hardware, i.e. PCI-slots)?

I assume you know www.musicxp.net. Switching PCI slots sometimes helps. A different mainboard may or may not.

Or will possibly the new PCI-e architecture solve the problems?

Not necessarily, at least not just exchanging PCI for PCIe cards on the same system. It's not something that ca be answered with a definite yes or no...

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

8 (edited by tritonus 2007-06-11 07:26:27)

Dear Herr Fuchs,

1. one of our Micstasy has the firmware 1.3. Can you tell me what we have to do to get the actual firmware 2.? into it?

2. Originally the 648 was after the Micstasy and before the recording computer. Since I had problems talking in this configuration to the MADI via MIDI remote I changed the routing as follows:

Micstasy directly to the recording computer via MADI
MADI OUT of the computer to to the 648 for routing the MADI-Input of the computer to the 648.

3. This happens also with Sequoia 8.31. We have tried various setups of the RME's latencies. No improvement.

4. The Mainboard is an INTEL. I don't know the chipset right now. But it has only one dedicated IRQ on the PCI-slots. All the others are sharing their IRQ with other components. So changing the PCI slots really doesn't help.

5. Thanks for the hint.

Andreas Neubronner
www.tritonus.de

The Micstasy needs to be sent to IMM for the FW upgrade.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

No exchange of EPROM at Tritonus possible?

Andreas Neubronner
www.tritonus.de

Sorry, no... No EPROM.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

Sorry, no... No EPROM.

...but after the update you have the chance to send talkback (or whatever) over Madi to the AES/ADAT out of the Mixtasy ;-) really nice feature!!!

PS: Andreas, nice to see you here - all the best from Bremen

Fabian Frank - Arcantus Musikproduktion GbR
www.arcantus-musikproduktion.de
www.arcantus.de

But red light is not possible. What a mess!

Best regards to my home town, Fabian!

Andreas Neubronner
www.tritonus.de

RME Support wrote:

Sorry, no... No EPROM.

Can you send my the exact address?

Danke, Herr Fuchs.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Andreas Neubronner
www.tritonus.de

IMM Elektronik GmbH
Leipziger Strasse 32
09648 Mittweida
fon: +49 3727 6205-90
fax: +49 3727 6205-55
service@imm-gruppe.de

(only valid for shipments from within Germany)

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hello Mr. Neubronner,

apart from problems maybe caused by the usage of multiple cards (where several reasons can be given for(Mainboard,Chipset, setup ..etc.)), I would like to give some comments/suggestions to your "setup".

As I understand your description, you like to connect 1 (or 2, or more) Micstasy(with MADI-Option-Board) to your Sequoia-PC, equiped with the HDSP-MADI card.
Also you like to record the Micstasy`s signal on your Tascam MX2424 for Security-BackUp.
(Therefore the MX2424 should receive the Micstasy`s signal direct)
Once you need to monitor the signal you get from Micstasy`s, and also you maybe need to monitor the Sequoia (Playback) mixer-output. Your ADI-8DS is needed as DAC for your monitoring.

Your entire setup should be connected in this way:

1. Connect HDSP-MADI-Output to Micstasy-MADI-Input.
This allows you to send the (Midi)remote signals from DAW, via MADI, to the Micstasy.

2. Connect Micstasy`s MADI-Output to ADI-648-MADI-Input.
(In case of more than one Micstasy, first connect the Micstasy Daisy-chain, than to ADI-648)
This sends the audio signals, but also the remote feedback of Micstasy to the ADI-648.

3. On ADI-648 the audio signals received from Micstasy via MADI, once need to be routed to (desired) MADI-Outputs of the ADI-648 , and also needs to be routed to the (desired) ADAT-Outputs of the ADI-648.
(This can be done very flexible by the 16x16 Routing-Matrix of the ADI-648)

4. Connect the MADI-Output of ADI-648 to the HDSP-MADI, this way you get the Micstasy audio signals into the Sequoia DAW.

5. !!! Connect the MIDI-Output of the ADI-648 to MIDI-Input of the ADI-648, by a standard MIDI-cable. Now you also receive the remote feedback of the Micstasy at the DAW (via HDSP-MADI)
This is neccessary because the ADI-648 does not send the "MADI-embedded-MIDI" signals received on its MADI-Input to its MADI-Output!

6. Connect the desired ADAT-Outputs of the ADI-648 to the MX2424, to receive the Micstasy`s output signal.

7. Route the Sequoia Mixer-Output to HDSP-MADI-Outputs e.g. Channel 49 to 56.
Now the Sequoia mixer outputs are going first to Micstasy`s MADI-Input, on Micstasy`s MADI-Output you get these channels unaffected and so they will be received on the ADI-648 MADI-Input. Route these MADI-Input channels of the ADI-648 to a desired ADAT-Output of the ADI-648 and connect the ADI-8DS for DAC (Monitoring).
(Remark: here the MADI-channels 49 to 56 are unaffected since those MADI-Channels are not used by a Micstasy (says no Micstasy is configured to Id 07 = Channel 49 to56)see Micstasy manual > Id configuration)
Now you can use all the Sequoia monitoring functions!
(Routing the channels this way, adds only 3 (three) samples delay by each Micstasy in the chain)

!! There are good chances to run the entire described setup with no additional separate wordclock cable connections! Just select the "correct" sync-setting on each single device.

This all should "run" also with Micstasy Firmware 1.3.
There is one issue in Firmware 1.3 . The "Bank-setting" of Mictasy needs to be Bank 01, other Banks will not work. (This is fixed in Firmware 2.0)
(So you maybe could (should) send the Micstasy for Firmware-Update while your next holiday, to get the new great features)

BTW: since beginning of April latest Driver version 3.04 for HDSP-Cards is available. Download drivers and firmware from the RME web-site.

As you remarked to Frank Fabian "still miss the redlight"; with the RME MADI-embedded-MIDI you can send MIDI events from your HDSP-MADI DAW to the MIDI-Out of the Micstasy, why not using this to switch a redlight?

Cheers,

Joram

Joram Ludwig
Product Management
Synthax Audio AG

Hi all,

I've spent some hours to sort out, what the pci situation on a regular "mainstream" motherboard is:

1: it's hard to find out which pci-slot shares its IRQ with other compoments.

2: on all three boards (two of MSI, one of Intel) there was only one PCI-slot which has its own dedicated IRQ

3: turning off some of the integrated peripherials (such as parallel port, serial port, Firewire) doens't necessarely free more resources for the audio-card.

4: Only turning off the graphic card :-), the network chip :-) or the USB would free IRQ which otherwise would share its IRQ with the according PCI-slot. But this is not an real alternative :-)))

5. I know that this is depending on the type and the manufactor, but it seems to me, that because there are some many compoments on a moddern motherboard that it's quite hard to get dedicated free PCI-IRQ's on almost every motherboard of today's releases.

Some my question is: are there any recommandations of manufactors or types or technologies (like chipsets etc.) what helps finding out of this jungle?

Another question: does it help in general to increase the buffer size in the RME-driver to diminish the risque of "Lost Asio-buffer" messages for instance in Sequoia?

Any help is apprectiated

Andreas Neubronner
www.tritonus.de

18 (edited by Sebastian.Gabler 2007-07-28 12:48:23)

Hello Mr. Neubronner,

I am afraid that changing the interrupts will not change a lot. With APIC under XP you have little influence what IRQ is mapped anyhow, and as long as Windows doesn't think there is a problem it won't do it for you. The only remaining possibility actually is tweaking the PCI latency, if possible. I am however not an expert on PCI latency becaus ei never had a problem with that.

The reason for the 300ms offset was already explained by Matthias. Maybe let me stress that it is really important that the sync is persistent. If one card has lost sync, the only way to get it back is restarting the ASIO loop. One card out of sync can cause LAB.

Edit: I just see that you have apparently worked with Windows drivers in the mixed MADI/9652 setup. My last impression was that such a setup is not so good, running so many devoces in parallel work more effficiently under ASIO, but of course is technically not possible because the cards don't share drivers (at least I not that I knew of).

Under different conditions (stable sync): As far as the LAB are concerned, increasing the ASIO buffer normally fixes the issue indeed.

If your system is suffering from a PCI bandwidth problem can be examined by a simple test with DigiCheck. Simply open all ASIO devices and send some test tones to some of the channels. If you don't see any artefacts or signal dissipating to other channels in TotalMix, everything should be alright. Also check the CPU load.
You can additionally cause load to the system by copying large files in the background.
With a grain of salt, this simulates the basic functions of a generic DAW.
With these methods youy should be able to detect the bottleneck on your system, and then see further.

If you have such issues in the field, disabling the waveform drawing during recording in Sequoia will give you 20% more safety overhead. I do that sometimes when there are issues or CPU load is too high.

Good luck with fixing.

Best regards from Vienna,

Sebastian Gabler

Dear Herr Gabler,

I totally agree. Anyway: fact is that all of our systems where the HDSP-9652-card is in a dedicated PCI-slot (means 1 IRQ only - not shared) we don't have problems at all.

The possibly best solution for more than 24 input is to install a MADI-card and the ADI-648 converter for any MADI-ADAT conversions. This configuration has been tested by us and it works reliable.

Thanks for the hints for testing procedures.

All the best regards to Vienna from Vienna

Andreas Neubronner

Andreas Neubronner
www.tritonus.de

I see.

The small difference maybe to understand is that these unshared IRQs do only relate to the physical PCI structure, not to the logical structure ACPI imposes. As a result, Windows doesn't see that and Windows HAL might very well share that IRQ with a different ressource, such as USB that isn't PCI attached altogether.
Now, you also got to live with the situation that you won't find any unshared IRQs on current system PCI slots anymore. So, moving around of cards in PCI slots is maybe not the appropriate method anymore, therfore also not to worry about in what slot you stick it in.
Modern chipset layouts draw upon working Chipset drivers more than ever before, especially ACPI does. You can not get away here with assigning dedicated interrupts because modern systems will not let you. There are simply too many components in modern chipsets. (Have a look on an average current multiprocessor system in MSinfo32....)
The remaining options are simply to update the chipset drivers, avoid unnecessary PCI components altogether (ASUS i.e. still implements PCI attached SATA controllers!!!), and if all that doesn't help fiddle around with PCI timing, assuming that RME has doen the job right to write the driver wich we all do from good history. :-)

Greetings,

Sebastian Gabler