Topic: Workaround Equal Headphone Mix and Recording DAW Mix

Hi is there an easy way to make the headphones mix and DAW recording mix sounds equal? Is the a "sub option" within Total Mix FX that this can?
I have just started with RME Total Mix FX. Headphone OUTs must be handled like every other Output. But I want to get the same things out on the Headphones and Main Outs, like I want to record in the internal Mix to my DAW. Then, when playing back the recorded tracks they sound different as I had heard befor recording within headphone mix.
(I guess dummy question, sorry)
thanks for tweaking me a bit smile

2 (edited by waedi 2023-07-02 08:47:44)

Re: Workaround Equal Headphone Mix and Recording DAW Mix

What do you mean with tracks (plural) ?
The headphone submix is one stereotrack and it is exactly the same as you hear on the headphones.
Sure you playback clean without any plugin or EQ in the master out in the DAW ?
For recording the headphone submix you have to use a Loopback
In case you did recording of all input channels then for sure that sound different to the headphone mix wich is a monitoring mix, without affecting the recording signals on the input channels.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Hi
You could use the software monitoring function of your DAW. That would say, no direct monitoring in TotalMix (close all faders of hardware input) but listening to the play thru signals from the DAW (open corresponding software playback channel faders). As long there are no efx plugins involved, now it should sound exactly the same while recording and on playback later.
Only to know: there is no 'recording mix' in TotalMix. Hardware input signals go directly over USB to the computer. But if you really want to record the exact stereo mix of the headphones output, you can use the loopback feature in TotalMix. Then you would have only one already mixed stereo track.
TotalMix is a bit hard to get in the beginnings. I suggest to read the manual carefully.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

4 (edited by ramses 2023-07-02 10:03:45)

Hi Rolando,

additionally, TotalMix FX also has the possibility to copy and mirror a submix. If you would e.g. mirror "Main Out" to "Phones1", then Phones1 would always have the same submix as Main Out.

I would say it is a matter of taste, requirements or how you (want to) work. My main submixes do not change anymore, so I am personally not using such a mirror.

If you are not happy with reading the manual alone, you can also watch great videos from RME and Synthax about TM FX. The videos are easy to understand and to the point, so you get a good overview of the operation and essential features within a short time. This also makes reading and understanding the manual easier, as you are already familiar with most things.

For more information, intro to this topic, link to the mentioned YouTube videos and additional information sources, see this sticky posting: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=34394

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

thank you all for advices. I will work on.
At the moment I record all the differents channel into daw. but this is leading into many separate tracks. I try to route the hardware inputs to one sub channel and then record this channel. Will this work?

Yes

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue