Topic: RME ADI 8 DS - Calibration

Hi,

Just a bit baffled with this.

In Studio One 6 - Main Output shows around 5-6db of headroom, if I push up from this the ADI 8 goes into clipping on the input state.

If I keep the ADI-8 out of clipping, the printed mix has 5-6db of headroom which I normalize and bounce. If I play that file  - RME clips again as before.

My system is set for +4db nominal including the RME. It is chained to a UAD Apollo, the meters of which also show plenty of headroom.

Whats the shizzle?

Cheers,
GRiFF

2 (edited by oli77sch 2023-07-07 18:46:34)

Re: RME ADI 8 DS - Calibration

I don’t really understand the signal flow of your setup. Are you doing analog signal processing? Where exactly in the chain does it clip?

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

I have a hybrid setup, but essentially the issue is the main mix buss in the DAW shows headroom, while the ADI 8 is clipping.

Apparently the ADI 8 clip light actually comes on at -2dbfs, so probably it, plus some corrective gain adjustment being sent to outboard - seems more as it should be.

Otherwise I can’t understand how I would get peak masters without the ADI 8 clipping.

A sine wave set to 0 dbfs in the daw will send the clip light off @ -2 dbfs

Interested in any other experiences

I still don’t get it: on D/A side there are only status led lights to my knowledge, so where exactly do you see it clipping?
What are your level settings on the ADI-8?

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2