1 (edited by leonardo 2023-08-03 13:08:16)

Topic: Question on Auto Level

Hello,

I have an UFX II and have experimented with the Auto Level function in the Dynamics section of the output channels. I would like to use Auto Level in order to protect my headphones / loudspeakers and my hearing in case my DAW crashes or a plugin misbehaves. The problem seems that the lowest value I can give to headroom is 3 dB which means that any audio signal that reaches more than -3 dBFS (e.g. most commercially normalized productions) gets reduced...in the case of classical music where more than - 3 dBFS are only occasionally reached it means that every really loud peak gets reduced whereas the rest stays at the original level - this is obviously not what I want. I would like to set auto level as a protection that kicks in only when 0 dB or more is reached - is this possible?
And another question: would this auto level output protection really work in the case of a complete driver crash e.g. is this a hardware function that works independently of the driver and the computer?

Thank you very much for your help!

Re: Question on Auto Level

You should set up the system so that the max volume does not exceed the max volume that you like to hear. More details:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25399

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you for your answer! If I understand you correctly you recommend a hardware solution with attenuators, no? That would work only for loudspeakers... I'd also like to protect my headphones that are plugged in directly into the headphone outputs of my UFX II. Is auto level not a viable solution for this then? There are software solutions like Nugen SigMod that will cut any audio that goes beyond a certain threshold but I don't know how reliable this is given that it works only at operating system level. I thought that the auto level function worked at a hardware level inside the audio interface independently of the operating system. I'm just looking for a solution that prevents those unexpected loudness bursts that can occur when a plugin or a program misbehaves or crashes.

Choose the lower ref level for the phones (Low), that is fully enough to 'protect' them. Auto level has not been designed to cover this topic in the way that you want to use it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok, thank you.