Topic: ADI-2/4 Pro SE Rear TRS outputs 3 & 4 Won't Activate

Thank you in advance for reading.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to activate the rear TRS outputs in order to utilize outputs 3-4.

My ultimate goal is to run tracks out of the RME, into some outboard equipment and back in to protools.

I've read through the manual several times and can only seem to find a paragraph that says it's possible to do this. However no where can I find how to do this.

I'm sure I'm just missing something dumb but I can't for the life of me figure it out. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
(I'm running the unit USB)

Re: ADI-2/4 Pro SE Rear TRS outputs 3 & 4 Won't Activate

It‘s the last menu entry, under:

I/O / Phones Out 3/4 / Settings / Rear TRS Source: “Ph. 3/4”

I actually already have that selected but I'm still not getting anything. Could there be a secondary setting somewhere?
Thank you!

What output channels in ProTools are you using ?
Instead of output 1/2 try output channels 3/4

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

You might have missed to activate the Multi-channel mode for the ADI-2/4 Pro SE.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by TeeBone2000 2023-10-21 23:31:39)

Hi MC, this is the exact way I would like to use my ADI-2/4 Pro SE.

I would like to send out tracks/stems from my DAW via the ADI-2/4 XLR ouputs to my external mastering chain, then record and monitor the XLR analog inputs.

My speakers are currently plugged into my TRS outs on the back for listening....

I also listen a lot on headphones, so I would like to monitor the analog input, while muting the TRS out to monitors if possible?

Do I need it in USB mode to hear music from my computer? I cannot hear anything from my DAW in ADDA mode.

Or have I got that plugged in wrong?

This is the ONLY reason I bought the ADI-2/4 Pro SE,  it was advertised as being able to do this for the "mastering guys" correct?

Does that make sense?

Many thanks!

Tee

7 (edited by KaiS 2023-10-21 23:55:56)

TeeBone2000 wrote:

I would like to send out tracks/stems from my DAW via the ADI-2/4 XLR ouputs to my external mastering chain, then record and monitor the XLR inputs.

My speakers are currently plugged into my TRS outs on the back for listening....

Is this possible without going into ADDA mode or multichannel mode?

Do I need it in USB mode to hear music from my computer? I cannot hear anything from my DAW in ADDA mode.

Or have I got that plugged in wrong?

This is the ONLY reason I bought the ADI-2/4 Pro SE,  it was advertised as being able to do this for the "mastering guys" correct?

Yes, and your cabling is correct.

For your purpose USB– / Class Compliant Multi-channel–Mode (see manual page 40) is best suited, AD-DA Converter Mode is not.

Set:
• Unplug USB.
• SETUP / Options / Device Mode/ DSD / Basic Mode: USB.
• SETUP / Options / Device Mode/ DSD / CC-Mode: Multichannel.
• Replug USB.
• I/O / Phones Out 3/4 / Settings / Source: USB 3/4.
• I/O / Phones Out 3/4 / Settings / Rear TRS Source: Ph. 3/4.

Now, in your DAW:
• Send the signal to be mastered to ADI-2/4 Pro SE “Output 1/2”.
• Get the signal to be recorded on a new track from ADI-2/4 Pro SE “Input 1/2”.

• Send the signal to be monitored to ADI-2/4 Pro SE “Output 3/4”.

Another option, some DAW’s can configure ADI-2/4 Pro SE “Output 1/2” – “Input 1/2” as hardware insert, which might simplify the handling, making it similar to a VST plugin.

Yes, and your cabling is correct.

For your purpose USB– / Class Compliant Multi-channel–Mode (see manual page 40) is best suited, AD-DA Converter Mode is not.

Set:
• Unplug USB.
• Replug USB.

Now, in your DAW:
• Send the signal to be mastered to ADI-2/4 Pro SE “Output 1/2”.
• Get the signal to be recorded on a new track from ADI-2/4 Pro SE “Input 1/2”.

• Send the signal to be monitored to ADI-2/4 Pro SE “Output 3/4”.

Another option, some DAW’s can configure ADI-2/4 Pro SE “Output 1/2” – “Input 1/2” as hardware insert, which might simplify the handling, making it similar to a VST plugin.

This did the trick! Thank you so much! Unplugging the USB, switching the CC Mode to Multi Channel was the only missing piece. That option is greyed out with the USB plugged in which is why I never adjusted it. But with the usb unplugged it allows you to make the change to Multichannel.

This also fixed my protools I/O setup to show all ins and outs and not just analog 1-2 (in case anyone is running into that issue as well)

9 (edited by TeeBone2000 2023-10-22 16:07:20)

Thank you! This is great but I cannot change 3/4 to on???

https://i.ibb.co/m4rLK2F/IMG-5796.jpg/]ImageA

https://i.ibb.co/S72hFx6/IMG-5795.jpg/]ImageB

I can only hear things when I switch rear TRS off....

10 (edited by KaiS 2023-10-22 18:37:56)

TeeBone2000 wrote:

Thank you! This is great but I cannot change 3/4 to on???

https://i.ibb.co/m4rLK2F/IMG-5796.jpg/]ImageA

https://i.ibb.co/S72hFx6/IMG-5795.jpg/]ImageB

I can only hear things when I switch rear TRS off....

• Unplug all headphones.
Or check:
• Setup / Phones / Toggle Ph/Line: Off
• Setup / Phones / Mute v. Ph 1/2: Off
• Setup / Phones / Mute v. Ph 3/4: Off

Turn the Volume dial for 1/2, then push it once to highlight 3/4 and turn it again, to unmute and set levels for each output.

Everything else is in the posting above.

11 (edited by KaiS 2023-10-22 18:48:27)

TeeBone2000 wrote:

I would like to send out tracks/stems from my DAW via the ADI-2/4 XLR ouputs to my external mastering chain, then record and monitor the XLR analog inputs.

I also listen a lot on headphones, so I would like to monitor the analog input, while muting the TRS out to monitors if possible?

Due to ADI-2/4 Pro‘s different options for channels 1/2 vs. 3/4, it’s better to use 1/2 for speaker and headphones monitoring.
1/2 offers a full set of parameters each, for Line Out and Phones, switched by plugging ‘phones or in the menu.

3/4 doesn’t have this option.

Rear TRS is balanced too, with fitting TRS/XLR cables it can be used as send for the mastering chain.

12 (edited by TeeBone2000 2023-10-22 21:38:33)

Due to ADI-2/4 Pro‘s different options for channels 1/2 vs. 3/4, it’s better to use 1/2 for speaker and headphones monitoring.
1/2 offers a full set of parameters each, for Line Out and Phones, switched by plugging ‘phones or in the menu.

3/4 doesn’t have this option.

Rear TRS is balanced too, with fitting TRS/XLR cables it can be used as send for the mastering chain.

OK Thanks I'll try some more... I am not sure what is going on for me, but I cannot get it to work how I would like...

Maybe it's my DAW (Ableton Live) or me just being stupid?

I want a healthy signal going out to my chain. Should I use the TRS instead of the XLR out?

Then plug speakers out of XLR instead?

I am on a MAC if that matters? Maybe I need to set it up in that somehow?

I will use Headphones on phones 1/2.

Thank you so much for your time and help.

Tee

13 (edited by KaiS 2023-10-23 00:00:51)

TeeBone2000 wrote:

I want a healthy signal going out to my chain. Should I use the TRS instead of the XLR out?

Then plug speakers out of XLR instead?

I will use Headphones on phones 1/2.

Yes to all, Rear TRS supplies a “healthy signal”, and channel 1/2 is better suited for monitoring in turns on speakers and headphones.

I’m not familiar with Ableton/Mac so…

But the basic procedure is the same for all Multichannel DAWs:

• Set ADI-2/4 to USB– / Class Compliant Multi-channel–Mode:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 14#p209314
This one relates to the cabling you originally posted, if you reverse 1/2 XLR and 3/4 Rear TRS functions as suggested, take this into account.

• Activate ADI-2/4‘s Outs 1/2 and 3/4, and the Analog Input in the DAW settings.
• Route your signals to the various outputs inside your DAW project.
• Don’t forget that even the record monitoring of the mastered track needs to be routed to the speaker outputs INSIDE THE DAW!

That’t not different to any other multichannel interface.

BTW: The new ADI-2 Remote App simplifies the configuration process.

14 (edited by TeeBone2000 2023-10-23 23:37:06)

OK So....

I have now speakers on XLR 1/2 out and Headphones on phones 1/2

I can toggle between them and all is ok there, but how do I monitor the INPUT back in from my external device or is that only done via my DAW?

So to control signal to my external device via TRS out I adjust PH34 in the remote app?

I am using the remote app, which is nice to use.

15 (edited by KaiS 2023-10-24 01:09:32)

TeeBone2000 wrote:

I have now speakers on XLR 1/2 out and Headphones on phones 1/2

I can toggle between them and all is ok there, but how do I monitor the INPUT back in from my external device or is that only done via my DAW?

Exactly, all the routings are done in the DAW.
DAW 1/2 (= ADI-2 1/2) stays your monitor output all the time.

TeeBone2000 wrote:

So to control signal to my external device via TRS out I adjust PH34 in the remote app?

Yes, or on ADI-2 directly.

Now, for the mastering chain, you have 2 full blown DSPs at hand, one in the 3/4 Output, and one in ADI-2’s Analog Input:
DSP 3/4 -> your analog processing -> DSP ADI-2 Analog Input channel.

This offers some options like EQ pre/post analog processing, or the popular M/S processing by switching on BOTH (really both, or you will get a weird result) DSP’s M/S function.

Amazing KaiS,

I very much appreciate this help.

I feel like I am so close to getting it right, and I absolutely love the sound of the ADI-2/4 it's incredible!

I must not understand Ableton Live's routing system or it's something I have not set correctly in it, as I get a massive feedback loop when trying to hear or record the processed external signal. I just cannot work it out. It should be so simple, but it always ends up in a feedback loop or no sound recording back in at all....

17 (edited by TeeBone2000 2023-10-24 11:50:43)

KaiS wrote:

Now, for the mastering chain, you have 2 full blown DSPs at hand, one in the 3/4 Output, and one in ADI-2’s Analog Input:
DSP 3/4 -> your analog processing -> DSP ADI-2 Analog Input channel.

This offers some options like EQ pre/post analog processing, or the popular M/S processing by switching on BOTH (really both, or you will get a weird result) DSP’s M/S function.

This would be incredible! I cannot wait to try this.

BTW I wonder can I get a black rackmount option for the unit?

18 (edited by KaiS 2023-10-24 12:11:04)

TeeBone2000 wrote:

BTW I wonder can I get a black rackmount option for the unit?

RME offers this one, get a can of black paint and you‘re done:

https://www.rme-audio.de/rackmounts.html
https://www.rme-usa.com/files/uploads/RME-Products/Accessories/RME_Unirack.jpg

Else: Every Pro Audio shop sells such stuff:

https://www.thomann.de/de/thon_rackwann … BQQAvD_BwE

https://thumbs.static-thomann.de/thumb/padthumb600x600/pics/bdb/_12/127151/12166852_800.jpg

19 (edited by KaiS 2023-10-24 15:50:16)

TeeBone2000 wrote:

I must not understand Ableton Live's routing system or it's something I have not set correctly in it, as I get a massive feedback loop when trying to hear or record the processed external signal.

If you have a feedback loop your live monitor routing destination is wrong.
You may NOT route the live monitoring to ADI-2 3/4.

Here I collected all points from above as checklist:

In Ableton:

• Activate ADI-2/4‘s Outs 1/2 and 3/4, and the Analog Input in the DAW settings.
• Mixer Track or Submix Bus to be mastered -> ADI-2 Out 3/4.
• ADI-2 Analog In -> record track for mastered version.
• Record track for mastered version –> live monitoring to Ableton mixer’s master and/or monitor section.
• Ableton mixer master/monitor > ADI-2 Out 1/2.

Another option, Ableton can configure ADI-2/4 Pro SE “Output 3/4” – “ADI-2 analog Input” as hardware insert, called “ External Audio Effect”.
Then you could use the analog hardware the same way as a VST plugin.
See:
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic … io-effects

ADI-2/4 Pro SE setting:

Unplug USB.
• Replug USB.

• Setup / Phones / Toggle Ph/Line: OFF (see below).
• Setup / Phones / Mute v. Ph 1/2: ON (see below).
• Setup / Phones / Mute v. Ph 3/4: OFF.

• I/O / Line Output 1/2 / Settings / Loopback: must be OFF.
• I/O / Phones Out 1/2 / Settings / Loopback: must be OFF.
• I/O / Phones Out 3/4 / Settings / Loopback: must be OFF.

Remark:
The option:
• Setup / Phones / Mute v. Ph 1/2: ON switches between speakers and headphones by plugging into Front PH 1/2.

If you prefer to leave the ‘phones plugged, and switch off speakers manually, switch the option to OFF and use instead:
• Setup / Phones / Toggle Ph/Line: 1/2.
This function can even be assigned to a button on the device or IR remote, to avoid going to the menu to switch speakers/phones.

KaiS,

You are a superstar!

Thank you so much for your patience and explainations, it has worked!

I now just need to work out the Mid Side processing wink

Thanks again!

21 (edited by KaiS 2023-10-25 09:14:46)

TeeBone2000 wrote:

I now just need to work out the Mid Side processing wink

I suggest to first collect informations, understand what M/S is technically, and how it works, and what it’s good for.

M/S Processing is a powerful tool, can be quite drastic, done wrong there can be huge negative side effects, specially if used in conjunction with dynamic processings.

That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t experiment with it, but with an open and critical ear if you really print it into your releases.

And don’t forget:
You always have to have the M/S Matrix twice in your signal chain, or you end up with an M/S coded signal instead of stereo, which you absolutely don’t want!

M/S coding and decoding is the exact same process, so there’s no dedicated coder or decoder.
The M/S processor is called “M/S Matrix”.
M/S stands for Mid/Side.

Starting with a stereo signal, the M/S Matrix separates the Mid- (mono) and the Side- (stereo) parts of a signal.
Mid goes to the left channel, Side to the right.

Running through the M/S Matrix again restores the original stereo signal.

The M/S Matrix is simple:
M = (left + right) / 2 -> left output
S = (left – right) / 2 -> right output

(The / 2 is just there to not double the overall level).

M/S Processing works like this:
Stereo -> M/S Matrix -> optional processing -> M/S Matrix-> =Stereo.

The simplest processing now would be changing the levels of either M or S.
This would control the stereo width of the result, ranging from:
- Mono (no Side-signal),
- Normal stereo (no change),
- Hyper-stereo (Mid-signal reduced by 50%),
- Ambient signal only, in Mono, but inverted polarity in the right channel: L+, R–, (Mid-signal level 0%).
This last one is completely Mono-incompatible, listening to it in Mono results in silence.

The key for successful M/S Processing is using different processings, like EQ e.g., on M and S for certain effects, usually well-dosed to avoid screwing the result.

When using different, or L/R-unlinked dynamic processing (Compressor, Limiter etc.), the result must be carefully watched for strange, annoying stereo-width pumping, best done on both headphones AND speakers.

Thanks KaiS,

So to engage M/S on the ADI in, I just turn it on in the remote app? Then left in is mid and right in is side?

As simple as that?

TeeBone2000 wrote:

So to engage M/S on the ADI in, I just turn it on in the remote app? Then left in is mid and right in is side?

As simple as that?

Yes, but always in both the send (Phones Out 3/4) AND return (Analog Input).

Please read my carefully written posting above carefully.
It contains a lot of valuable information in short form, that you don’t find easily in the net, especially if you don’t know exactly what to look for.

24 (edited by TeeBone2000 2023-10-25 14:16:35)

OK... SO... If I send it out in M/S but do not do any changes then only do the changes after external processing on the return in M/S. This is the way to go if I want to keep external processing in stereo but tweak M/S on the return in?

25 (edited by KaiS 2023-10-25 20:56:45)

TeeBone2000 wrote:

OK... SO... If I send it out in M/S but do not do any changes then only do the changes after external processing on the return in M/S. This is the way to go if I want to keep external processing in stereo but tweak M/S on the return in?

The key is independent and different processing of the M and S channel:

• Convert stereo-to-M/S inside ADI-2’s Output 3/4’s DSP.

• (*) Optional: use ADI’s output DSP for e.g. stereo-EQ or M/S-Dual-EQ.

•(*) Run through the analog mastering chain to manipulate M (left channel) and S (right channel) independently.

• Return to ADI-2’s Analog Input.

• Use Analog Input‘s DSP’s M/S Matrix to reconvert M/S-to-stereo.

• Optional: use ADI’s input‘s DSP for e.g. stereo-EQ.

(*) REMARK: in ADI-2’s DSP internally the M/S Matrix is the first step.
So, the Dual-EQ option already allows true M/S processing by manipulation of M and S EQ separately.
Still, if using the non-Dual EQ, the result is the same as if applied to a normal stereo signal.
This is true for the analog processing too.

Changing both the M+S channels exactly the same equals working with a normal stereo signal - which is logical if you think about it.

The essential part in short, always set both:
• I/O / Settings / Phones Our 3/4 / M/S-Proc: On
• I/O / Settings / Analog Input / M/S-Proc: On

26 (edited by TeeBone2000 2023-10-25 21:28:25)

Thanks KaiS,

At the moment I do not have Dual mono devices on my master chain, so cannot process each channel seperately which is needed here for M/S...

I shall install some that can and try it out!

Thanks again.