Topic: Select Submix via MIDI?

I have a few scripts in Reaper that send Note On/Off and CC messages to TotalMix. One of my scripts sends a CC message to drop down to -inf/restore the volume of a software playback channel. The problem is that, if I do not have the right submix selected (e.g., my main outs), then this script will work but won't drop the volume of the software playback channel in the relevant submix.

My question is: I've been looking for a MIDI message that will allow me just to select a new submix (after which I'd then run the above script). But I'm not finding anything in the manual or online.

Is this possible?

2 (edited by waedi 2023-10-25 20:20:46)

Re: Select Submix via MIDI?

Select submix (fader) in third row:
- channel 1/2: BC 68/69 xx
- channel 3/4: BC 6A/6B xx
etc.
from page 87 user manual UCX ll, good user manual for everything.

You may also save a snapshot and recall it with the appropriate note.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by Miscreant 2023-10-27 02:18:23)

waedi wrote:

etc.
from page 87 user manual UCX ll, good user manual for everything.

Sorry--I should have been clearer: FireFace 800/TotalMix v1.78/Windows 10/Reaper. This might be available only on the UCX II, as I don't see it in my manual?

waedi wrote:

Would you mind elaborating? My snapshots don't save/recall that last-touched output/submix fader... And recall with it 'with the appropriate note', eg. a MIDI trigger? Not sure what you mean by that. Thanks!

4 (edited by waedi 2023-10-27 02:24:08)

Page 77 in the user manual FF800 tells this :

The first row in TotalMix is addressed by MIDI channels 1 up to 4, the middle row by channels 5 up to 8 and the bottom row by channels 9 up to 12.
16 Controller numbers are used: 102 up to 117 (= hex 66 to 75). With these 16 Controllers (= faders) and 4 MIDI channels each per row, up to 64 faders can be controlled per row.

And page 78 :
etc.

5 (edited by Miscreant 2023-10-27 02:25:17)

waedi wrote:

Page 77 in the user manual FF800 tells this :

The first row in TotalMix is addressed by MIDI channels 1 up to 4, the middle row by channels 5 up to 8 and the bottom row by channels 9 up to 12.
16 Controller numbers are used: 102 up to 117 (= hex 66 to 75). With these 16 Controllers (= faders) and 4 MIDI channels each per row, up to 64 faders can be controlled per row.

Thanks, I do see that and have read this passage a good number of times. The problem I'm having is that the CC MIDI message I send requires I input a note value b/t 0-127. This means that each time I CC that submix via MIDI, I also have to set a value for the fader.

Contrast this with using the mouse just to select a submix, without doing anything to a fader. This is different, and it's what I'm asking about. I should have been clearer. Thanks again.

Miscreant wrote:

Would you mind elaborating? My snapshots don't save/recall that last-touched output/submix fader... And recall with it 'with the appropriate note', eg. a MIDI trigger? Not sure what you mean by that. Thanks!

With a key on a Midikeyboard you can recall a snapshot :
Snapshot 1: 36 / 54 / #F 3
Snapshot 2: 37 / 55 / G 3
Snapshot 3: 38 / 56 / #G 3
Snapshot 4: 39 / 57 / A 3
Snapshot 5: 3A / 58 / #A 3
Snapshot 6: 3B / 59 / B 3
Snapshot 7: 3C / 60 / C 4
Snapshot 8: 3D / 61 / #C 4

Activating the desired hardware output then need further action.

waedi wrote:
Miscreant wrote:

Activating the desired hardware output then need further action.

Do you know what that is? That's what I need after a snapshot change, as this change alone doesn't recall the last-touched hardware out (last-touched before saving the snapshot, that is).

Miscreant wrote:

Thanks, I do see that and have read this passage a good number of times. The problem I'm having is that the CC MIDI message I send requires I input a note value b/t 0-127. This means that each time I CC that submix via MIDI, I also have to set a value for the fader.

Contrast this with using the mouse just to select a submix, without doing anything to a fader. This is different, and it's what I'm asking about. I should have been clearer. Thanks again.

Unfortunately for you, this seems to be the nature in this remote control architecture, the need for using a specific value instead of just selecting the fader...

waedi wrote:
Miscreant wrote:

Unfortunately for you, this seems to be the nature in this remote control architecture, the need for using a specific value instead of just selecting the fader...

Right, okay. Thanks. That's what I was suspecting...too bad. Thanks anyways for taking the time to help me out.

10 (edited by bsfreq 2023-10-27 15:45:36)

waedi wrote:
Miscreant wrote:

This is not the case. You can indeed select submixes without sending a fader value, as they have separate midi commands.
For example:

Fader of output 1-2 (AN 1/2 on babyface) = ch9, cc102, 0-127 / B8 66-67 xx (if monoed, then 102 (66) for ch1 and 103 (67) for ch2)

Notice the cc offset on select submix vs output fader, as ch13, cc102-103 is reserved for TRIM-mode

Select first submix (AN 1/2 on babyface): ch13, CC 104-105 (if monoed, then 104 for ch1 and 105 for ch2) / BC 68-69 xx (xx= 00 or 7F or whatever. This will not change the fader value.

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

bsfreq wrote:
waedi wrote:
Miscreant wrote:

This is not the case. You can indeed select submixes without sending a fader value, as they have separate midi commands.
For example:

Fader of output 1-2 (AN 1/2 on babyface) = ch9, cc102, 0-127 / B8 66-67 xx (if monoed, then 102 (66) for ch1 and 103 (67) for ch2)

Notice the cc offset on select submix vs output fader, as ch13, cc102-103 is reserved for TRIM-mode

Select first submix (AN 1/2 on babyface): ch13, CC 104-105 (if monoed, then 104 for ch1 and 105 for ch2) / BC 68-69 xx (xx= 00 or 7F or whatever. This will not change the fader value.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. To make sure I'm understanding--

Are you simply saying that changing the fader of output 1-2 requires cc102 sent via ch9, while selecting just a submix requires a cc104-105 sent via ch13, and that no matter what value I input b/t 0-127 will not impact the fader and is therefore null?

Miscreant wrote:

Are you simply saying that changing the fader of output 1-2 requires cc102 sent via ch9, while selecting just a submix requires a cc104-105 sent via ch13, and that no matter what value I input b/t 0-127 will not impact the fader and is therefore null?

Yes

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

bsfreq wrote:
Miscreant wrote:

Yes

Works perfectly. Thanks again for your help.