1 (edited by tigersoul 2023-12-12 11:36:59)

Topic: Gain not actually set as indicated upon snapshot loading

I have a weird bug. I've got a snapshot that turns on 48V and sets a gain on my LEFT input, among a few other little things. It works fine, but the signal coming from the left input (an LDC) is very low, it barely moves the meter, not at all correct with the set gain at 27. If I just move the gain slider down to 24, then back up to 27, I get the expected result. It's as if the gain setting isn't quite set to the actual interface correctly, just the gui knob in totalmix.

Another action that fixes it is moving the gain slider of the RIGHT input that is muted and has no 48V enabled.

Yet another action that fixes it: turning on 48V on the right channel, despite not having it connected to anything. If I save the snapshot like this, it will also work upon loading again directly, without touching gain knobs or 48V. So this is what I do for now.

Latest driver. Any idea why this is? I haven't always had this issue.

ps: I tried re-saving the snapshot but it doesn't help.

Re: Gain not actually set as indicated upon snapshot loading

Nobody? Guess I'll report it as bug then as this started happening with the newer style driver.

3 (edited by waedi 2023-12-23 14:35:01)

Is this Babyface Pro FS ? How old is it ?
Is it connected to external power supply or only bus-powered ?
With gain slider you mean gain knob ?
May you provide screenshots of these snapshots ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Another action that might fix it is shouting into the mic. The mic pres might not change their gain if (until) there is no (a) signal detected. That is a known behaviour on some older units (you have an original Babyface?).

If you think it is the latest driver - not the driver, if at all TM FX. You might try an older or newer version.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

waedi wrote:

Is this Babyface Pro FS ? How old is it ?
Is it connected to external power supply or only bus-powered ?
With gain slider you mean gain knob ?
May you provide screenshots of these snapshots ?

It's the original babface. With gain slider, I mean gain know.

Here's a screenshot of me just having loaded the snapshot that sets the gain levels for the mic and shooting a bit from the microphone. Note the level meter. Picture to is after me having yanked the gain knob from 0 to 10 back to 0, on channel RIGHT which isn't even the microphone in question. Note the difference in level.

https://imgur.com/a/i7SuJsC
https://imgur.com/a/3SJMbbj

MC wrote:

Another action that might fix it is shouting into the mic. The mic pres might not change their gain if (until) there is no (a) signal detected. That is a known behaviour on some older units (you have an original Babyface?).

If you think it is the latest driver - not the driver, if at all TM FX. You might try an older or newer version.

That's so weird but I will try it.

7 (edited by waedi 2023-12-24 23:03:31)

Yes please try the shouting test, that's not weird, it will show if the unit would like to have some maintenance from a service partner.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

That effect is baken into the dedicated mic pre chips and not fixable.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME