1 (edited by martincost 2023-12-19 16:46:56)

Topic: Are signal qualities maintained when using UFXiii hardware routing?

Just bought a UFXiii and waiting for it to arrive - upgrading from a FR18i20. As I'll have more channels to play with (one more ADAT or possibly MADI), I'm thinking of using the UFXiii and Totalmix to remove my hardware patchbay and constant cable switching. But I'm no expert on signal levels (line, instrument, impedence etc.). I think my question can be boiled down to two examples...

Current routing I use for recording guitar/bass:    Instrument>>DI Box>>UAD OX or Sansamp

My thought for a flexible routing with TotalMix: Instrument>>UFX input>>UFX output>>DI Box>>UFX input>>UFX output>>UAD Ox or another UFX output to Sansamp

Current routing for re-amping:    DAW playback on hardware output>>Re-Amp box>>UAD Ox or Sansamp

Proposed: DAW Playback>>UFX output>> Re-Amp box>>UFX input>>UFX output>>UAD Ox or another UFX output to Sansamp

In other words, I want to use the DI box and the Re-amp box as hardware inserts so that I can have the flexibility to send their signals to different destinations controlled by TotalMix routings. The bit I'm not sure about is whether doing this undermines the required signal quality that each generates?

Many thanks for any help!

Martin

2 (edited by ramses 2023-12-19 17:59:20)

Re: Are signal qualities maintained when using UFXiii hardware routing?

Hi Martin.

Welcome to the RME user forum and congratulations on getting the best and most versatile interface on the market (IMHO).

Of course, this is possible. The UFX III Instrument inputs have excellent quality. You can directly plug your guitar into Analogue IN 9, 10, 11 or 12. You will use the normal guitar cable with TS plugs.
All you need to do in TM FX is to configure the port as INST input. You find this behind the wrench symbol of the input (top row). You do not need the DI box in the signal path any more.

I am also plugging my guitar into the INST input of my UFX III for different purposes.
- recording of the direct guitar signal
- sending the signal either to my amps (two Marshall JCM900 combos as stereo setup) or
- using an amp VSTi
The UFX III is besides that, used as a parallel effect loop for my amps.
The two external effects (Lexicon PCM 81 and 91) can be used for guitar and DAW, typically I use two setups:
a) PCM 81 for amps, PCM 91 for DAW
b) both PCM for DAW.

Using the UFX III with its high-quality low latency converters (known from the former reference converter ADI-2 Pro FS) gives you extremely low converter latency as the routing (parallel effect loop, external FX) happens on the UFX III.

With TM FX, a lot is possible, you should read the manual, at least browse through it to become familiar with the features and to know what information you can expect from it. You should also watch the TM FX videos.
A little guidance about information sources you will find in this sticky that I wrote some time ago:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=34394

It's all possible and gives you a great flexibility.

See also attached pictures to my blog article:  https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ent … iii-en-de/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: Are signal qualities maintained when using UFXiii hardware routing?

Hi Ramses,

Thanks for the welcome and the quick & detailed reply! I chose RME after reading very good reviews and plenty of info on this forum, including from yourself.

That's great to know that I don't need the DI box. I'm looking forward to getting everything set up and exploring the routing possibilities. Thanks for the links. I've already read through the TM manual but will do so again when I have everything up and working. I'll read through the other links now.

Thanks again,

Martin