Topic: Multiface 2 via Sonnet to Macbook Pro - no audio

Hi

Hope someone can give guidance. I've connected my Multiface II via a Sonnet card chassis to my 2014 macbook pro running Big Sur.

The installation of drivers went smoothly, TotalMix and the DSPe settings app are present and run. Behaviour of the MF seems as I remember it from my 2011 MBP, which had a card slot. The MF powers up, flashes until the card is connected. In my case today, this does happen and TotalMix and the DSPe settings apps open as soon as I connect the Sonnet to the thunderbolt port.

However! Despite switching my DAW and system outputs to the Hammerfall, no audio is moving through the system. There is zero activity on the TotalMix channel strips. After restarting the machine with everything connected, the TotalMix was suddenly maxed out on all channels as if there was some massive feedback loop with no daw or sound activity from the system - but there was still no audio being pushed to the monitors. Disconnecting and reconnecting the interface via the DSPe settings seems to have reset the system and we're back to zero activity.

I'm also getting no audio from the headphone output.

Very confused, and i need to get this up and running.

Thanks for any advice

Re: Multiface 2 via Sonnet to Macbook Pro - no audio

Try firmware update

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

You use the HDSP ExpressCard? With which firmware version?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by Anthony H 2023-12-20 19:52:23)

MC wrote:

You use the HDSP ExpressCard? With which firmware version?

Yes I'm using the card.

Not sure where to see the firmware version. In HDSPe Settings/About it's got Mac OS X driver version 4.13 and Multiface (serial number) Rev. 18

Edit - I have updated the firmware to 20 and the Driver to 4.24, and it doesn't seem to have helped. In fact, my system crashed once when trying to play an audio file. Help please?

I am inserting a screengrab of totalmix so you can see what I mean. Analog 1&2, SPDIF, ADAT all going nuts, except Analog1/2 OUT which is silent.

https://i.ibb.co/x2w3FgK/Screenshot-2023-12-20-at-20-46-30.png

I am experiencing full system panic crashes. This has not happened on this machine before today, after hooking up the Multiface.
This is just from trying to preview a wav file using the space bar in finder to test audio - it doesn't play even one second before crashing. I don't have any DAW or other audio applications open.

The crash log includes this:

loaded kexts:
com.RME.driver.HDSPMADI    4.13

Audio preview in Finder has been broken for years, I don't think you can consider that part an RME issue.

What about using a regular audio player app?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I've never had an issue with using space bar to playback files in Finder - it's a handy tool.

I've tried a standalone instance of Kontakt and I've tried VSTs in Cubase - silence. Until it starts doing the thing in the image above which I can only compare with feedback. I forgot to mention that when this happens there IS sound - a high pitched tone. This is why the software output analog 1/2 is muted in TotalMix. I can't remember now if the Analog Hardware Outs are showing nothing because I muted the Software outs, or if they were showing nothing irrespective of the muting. I'll have to check tomorrow again. I've checked the analog inputs and those seem to be working fine - i can see the levels moving up and down on the input channels.

I have a deadline approaching so this is becoming quite stressful.

What you experience is nothing else than hanging communication between hardware and driver. It could be the ExpressCard, the Sonnet adapter, the TB cable...even the Multiface. I see no way to easily find the cause as you need to replace each single item (up to the computer) to find out where exactly it fails.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I'm sure you'll understand when I say that is a completely unsatisfactory response. The Sonnet and Thunderbolt cable are brand new. The idea that one should need to somehow source a second Multiface and ExpressCard (and computer!) to diagnose a problem is not only impractical, it's simply not possible.

I have a feeling the answer may lie in the drivers. Can anyone indicate which drivers and firmware are optimal for this setup?

Is it possible that the problem could lie in the power supply? I have had to use a different psu, which has worked perfectly, after the RME supply just died for no reason.

Anthony H wrote:

I'm sure you'll understand when I say that is a completely unsatisfactory response.

I don't.

Anthony H wrote:

The Sonnet and Thunderbolt cable are brand new.

Which does not guarantee that they are compatible to a 15 year old HDSPe DSPe Express card. I don't know if they are, Sonnet most probably also doesn't know. There are several 'versions' of PCI Express, and these caused incompatibilities with some Sonnet Echo back in the days.

Anthony H wrote:

I have a feeling the answer may lie in the drivers.

These are mature and do not fail elsewhere. Blaming the drivers will not bring your case forward.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME