Topic: [Solved] solo problem between logic and totalmix

I have a Fireface800 connected to my Logic computer (Lcomp, a MacPro from 2010) which serves as a sound generating machine only, to the main Protools computer (PTcomp, also a Mac Pro from 2010). Midi signals go from PTcomp to Lcomp, and the audio from the instruments in Lcomp are routed back to PTcomp via the Fireface800 (FF800) connected to Lcomp via the ADAT outs from the FF800 to a 192Digital connected to PTcomp. This setup works perfectly.

However a very strange thing occurs.

If I have a number of instruments in Lcomp and I want to solo say the first one then I have to mute all the others because when I solo instrument one all others are indeed muted but so is the instrument one itself, no sound at all comes through anymore. Also, when I solo all instruments no sound at all comes through anymore whereas they should all still sound. There is one exception, namely the instrument with stereo out from logic assigned as output which goes to Main in totalmix. That instrument when soloed in logic does indeed still sound and thus can be soloed.

The routing in the FF800 is the so-called simple DAWmode.

Thanks for taking a look!

Cheers, Bob.

Re: [Solved] solo problem between logic and totalmix

Sound to me like a Midi problem.
That instrument one from where did it receive the midi ?
May be from another channel that is muted due to solo ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Are you talking about the solo and mute buttons in Logic or in Totalmix?

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Thanks for getting back to me on this. I am talking about the solo and mute buttons in Logic.

waedi wrote:

Sound to me like a Midi problem.
That instrument one from where did it receive the midi ?
May be from another channel that is muted due to solo ?

Thanks for getting back to me on this. All instruments in logic receive their midi signals from a second computer running protools.

That instrument you set solo, can this instrument still produce sound manually, click on the piano-keyboard (if the instrument is a synth with keys).
To find out if the audio output is muted or the midi signals don't reach the instrument anymore.

And also please may you consider opening a new thread in a Logic forum as this has nothing to do with the RME interface ?

musicman64 wrote:

If I have a number of instruments in Lcomp and I want to solo say the first one then I have to mute all the others because when I solo instrument one all others are indeed muted but so is the instrument one itself, no sound at all comes through anymore. Also, when I solo all instruments no sound at all comes through anymore whereas they should all still sound. There is one exception, namely the instrument with stereo out from logic assigned as output which goes to Main in totalmix. That instrument when soloed in logic does indeed still sound and thus can be soloed.

You seem to expect Solo to work in a way that it is not designed to work. From the manual:

Solo operates as Solo-in-Place, post fader style, as known from common mixing desks. A typical limitation for mixing desks, Solo working only globally and only for the Main Out, does not exist in TotalMix. Solo is always activated for the current submix only.

That also means there is no 'this output only on' functionality. It can only be 'emulated' by muting all other outputs.

And not sure what you mean with 'simple DAW mode'. TM FX has a DAW mode, but that one has no Solo buttons.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

waedi wrote:

That instrument you set solo, can this instrument still produce sound manually, click on the piano-keyboard (if the instrument is a synth with keys).
To find out if the audio output is muted or the midi signals don't reach the instrument anymore.

And also please may you consider opening a new thread in a Logic forum as this has nothing to do with the RME interface ?

I have opened a thread in Logi Help forum, no reaction so far.

Midi signals are received just fine. The instrument that is soloed still produces signal as can be seen from the meter in Logic registering sound, but no sound comes through. None of the meters in the FF800 registers anything.

MC wrote:
musicman64 wrote:

You seem to expect Solo to work in a way that it is not designed to work. From the manual:

Solo operates as Solo-in-Place, post fader style, as known from common mixing desks. A typical limitation for mixing desks, Solo working only globally and only for the Main Out, does not exist in TotalMix. Solo is always activated for the current submix only.

That also means there is no 'this output only on' functionality. It can only be 'emulated' by muting all other outputs.

And not sure what you mean with 'simple DAW mode'. TM FX has a DAW mode, but that one has no Solo buttons.

1. Is this not from the manual of the FF800? I am not soloing in the FF800, actually I do not change anything there. I just solo in Logic, and whereas the signal goes through to the FF800 perfectly if I do not solo in Logic, when soloing no signal goes through in spite of the fact that in Logic the signal is still registered (by the meter) just as when I did not solo.

2. I checked the Logic manual and found nothing about solo-in-place, so I guess there it works exactly the same way as in Protools, solo is really solo.

3. I am using Totalmix FX v 1.43, even though I have no FX capability, and yes I have DAW mode in Option/ Operational mode.

Am I using the wrong Totalmix? If so can I download the correct one somewhere?

Thanks for helping out!

I did a little eperiment. Changed from FF800 to my Scarlett2i2 USB. Works perfectly as it should, sound comes through when soloing in Logic just the same as when not soloing.

So the problem really seems some inconsistency between Logic and the FF800.

11 (edited by waedi 2023-12-25 12:46:17)

Download latest Totalmix 1.85 from here :
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 17#p206717
Drop it into your application folder to replace the old one.

waedi wrote:

Download latest Totalmix 1.85 from here :
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 17#p206717
Drop it into your application folder to replace the old one.

Thanks, nice to have the latest version. Unfortunately it did not change anything. By the way I am still onMacOS Sierra 10.12.6 because of some software that no longer works in higher versions (eg Steinberg's virtual guitar).

13 (edited by waedi 2023-12-25 14:27:46)

With the Scarlett you are listening the output channels 1/2 right ? Not much channels to choose from.
With the FF800 wich channels are selected for listening ?
Some signal routing must have changed.

It is somewhat difficult to explain my setup which is not usual as you can read in my first message. Would it be helpful if I sent you screenshots of all the windows when silent, when playing not soloed and when playing soloed?

I do not really listen to the FF800, it just serves as a go-between between Logic and Protools on my other computer.
So I guess the audio path is

Logic -> FF800 -> 192digital -> Protools -> Monitors

In the operational full mode where I have input, output and software playback in the totalmix mixer view, when I play a note, the corresponding meter will register both in the playback and the output area. When I solo in logic nothing registers in totalmix.

15 (edited by waedi 2023-12-25 15:15:42)

In Logic preferences Audio I/O-connection Output Stereo
Channels 1/2 , is this the case with both interfaces ?
And yes, those screenshots would be helpful.

Will get back to you asap, have to entertain family a bit now :-)

Not sure, but maybe the solo buttons in Logic are only related to the internal mixer or so to say related only to the main out within the DAW. If you send every software instrument track directly to its own output (as far as I understand it right, these are ADAT channels going from the FF800 to the other interface) instead of the main out maybe the solo function does nothing? I go to check that out later on my Mac.

oli77sch wrote:

Not sure, but maybe the solo buttons in Logic are only related to the internal mixer or so to say related only to the main out within the DAW. If you send every software instrument track directly to its own output (as far as I understand it right, these are ADAT channels going from the FF800 to the other interface) instead of the main out maybe the solo function does nothing? I go to check that out later on my Mac.

That seems a very interesting idea. Could it concur with a phenomenon which I just discovered? In order to explain, I need to send a number of screenshots. Is that possible on this forum? Otherwise could I send them and the explanation to your email address?

waedi wrote:

In Logic preferences Audio I/O-connection Output Stereo
Channels 1/2 , is this the case with both interfaces ?
And yes, those screenshots would be helpful.

Hello again, how can I get the screenshots to you?

musicman64 wrote:

I just solo in Logic

Then this is not related to TotalMix at all.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

musicman64 wrote:
oli77sch wrote:

That seems a very interesting idea. Could it concur with a phenomenon which I just discovered? In order to explain, I need to send a number of screenshots. Is that possible on this forum? Otherwise could I send them and the explanation to your email address?

You can use imgbb.com or similar to post screenshots.

MC wrote:
musicman64 wrote:

I just solo in Logic

Right - see posts nr. 3 and 4

oli77sch wrote:
musicman64 wrote:
oli77sch wrote:

You can use imgbb.com or similar to post screenshots.

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … rum-EN-DE/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

oli77sch wrote:
MC wrote:
musicman64 wrote:

I just solo in Logic

Right - see posts nr. 3 and 4

Thanks for all your comments. Goodbye, cheers, Bob.

musicman64 wrote:
oli77sch wrote:

Just checked: on my system the solo buttons in Logic work even when every track has its own direct output, so I was wrong in my assumption.

oli77sch wrote:
musicman64 wrote:
oli77sch wrote:

Just checked: on my system the solo buttons in Logic work even when every track has its own direct output, so I was wrong in my assumption.

I have 8 analog outputs and 16 adat outputs. All output are stereo, so that gives me analog outputs   O12, O34, O56, O78, and digital outputs  A12 - A78 and B12 - B78.

As can be seen from the screenshots (I/O labels logic) the output O12 is mapped to stereo output in logic.

The outputs are routed as follows Logic -> Totalmix

O12 = stereo output -> Main
O34 -> AN34
O56 -> AN56
O78 -> AN78

A12 -> ADAT12

A78 -> ADAT78
B12 -> ADAT 910

B78 -> ADAT1516

When I solo anything except instrument 9 (output O12) then no sound goes through anymore. But when I solo instrument 9 sound goes through (see corresponding screenshots).

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/bby6pub67mbzx2i4k2anb/meters-when-soloed-any-output-except-stereo-out.png?rlkey=lchehailqg5gryxp4j5u6ovpf&dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/qqgqj78ta6gau09ea9bog/Totalmix-mixer-view.png?rlkey=khgybir9up1t4g58bkg9zqfme&dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/g9n6wzry8zlduxvn4k7po/meters-when-soloed-stereo-out.png?rlkey=ndkp4ympe77h7m8z6vpa3glhq&dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/w7yadtuwjq9kv0u5ivvmu/meters-when-not-soloed.png?rlkey=au9izxgk95ltt07i5qi54cvyz&dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/qdqtbq3fra9wydii5isb6/I-O-labels-logic.png?rlkey=rfejvyfnphwgdmz95sn1ilp6z&dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/izo54ko2hut5xvfjolkuk/Totalmix-matrix-view.png?rlkey=g4rtvxoilc8undr9tz2we8fxn&dl=1

In the screenshots the TotalMix app is set to work with straight outputs, the playback signals are not mixed together. In this mode you would be able to connect to an analog mixer or summing amp, for instance.

What you want, it seems, is the normal default setup in Totalmix, where all the software output channels are mixed together on output 1/2.

TMFX Options menu -> Reset Mix -> Straight playback, mix to Main Out

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Dropbox images don't show up.

Jeff wrote:

In the screenshots the TotalMix app is set to work with straight outputs, the playback signals are not mixed together. In this mode you would be able to connect to an analog mixer or summing amp, for instance.

What you want, it seems, is the normal default setup in Totalmix, where all the software output channels are mixed together on output 1/2.

TMFX Options menu -> Reset Mix -> Straight playback, mix to Main Out

Thanks for your input. Actually, I do want separate outputs because the FF800 is not the end of the line.The separate outputs of the FF800 need to go to the individual inputs of the Protools 192 Digital and 96 I/O. The trajectory is as follows:

A midi signal goes from Protools computer to Logic computer, that triggers signal in Logic which is output on a single output of the FF800 which in turn is routed to a single input in the 192 Digital or the 96 I/O.

Cheers, Bob.

waedi wrote:

Dropbox images don't show up.

Oops, sorry for that, they show up perfectly on my computer and I followed the instructions to the letter. Can I send them to you via another way e.g via wetransfer?

Thank you all for your concern. The problem was solved on the Logic help site. As several of you already indicated, it was a logic problem. Besides the instrument channels strips it required separate output channel strips. I never required those in normal operation, it is only with this solo problem that the problem popped up. Again, thanks to all!!

Cheers, Bob.