Topic: Input Device Setup: ASIO vs Hardware Level Disparity on ADAT Input?

Routing:UCX+ ANALOG 7+8 Out > Multed To 8 Channels > AD Converter > ADI-648 Port 2 (ADAT 9-16).
TotalMix: Hardware Inputs ADAT 9-16 read as expected.
A. DIGICheck Multi Channel Hardware Level Selected Inputs:  All channels read as expected.
B. DIGICheck Multi Channel ASIO Selected: One channel, ADAT 11, reports 12 dB greater than expected - other channels report as expected.

1. Which Input Device Setup mode should I rely on, ASIO or Hardware Level?

2. What is the pro and con of either mode?

3. What could explain this disparity?

Thank you.

UFX+, ADI-648, Win 10, i7 10 core 3Ghz 64 Gb, Cubase 9, PT 12.8

Re: Input Device Setup: ASIO vs Hardware Level Disparity on ADAT Input?

Sorry, but I do not understand what you mean by
- multed to 8 channels
- Hardware level vs ASIO
Please be so kind as to provide a photo or screenshot and detail what exactly you mean.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi Ramses ...

Mult means to multiply a signal. In this case I took two output signals and through a mixer turned them into eight signals. I did this so I could check all of the ADAT input signals coming from the ADC simultaneously.

I am challenged to post a screen shot. I have not been able to figure out how to do so.

Please note that if you open the Multi Channel meter in DIGICheck the fifth icon directly below the Options drop down menu opens the 'Input Device Setup.' This is where you select which channels you want to display in the meter and depending what is available for the channel setup either Playback, Input or Output.

When you open the Input Device Setup you see at the top left 'ASIO driver select.' In my case it is ASIO MADIface USB.

Directly below are two radio buttons, only one of which can be active at a time. They are respectively 'ASIO' and 'Hardware Level.'

I hope this clarifies so you can understand my post.

Thank you.

4 (edited by waedi 2024-02-17 05:03:11)

bienpegaito wrote:

I am challenged to post a screen shot. I have not been able to figure out how to do so.

Upload your screenshot there : https://imgbb.com
Open the link generated by the imgbb.
Rright-click onto your screenshot in that webpage and copy image-address.
Paste the link into the image tag here in the forum post.
Don't use dropbox, it would not be visible to all users.
https://i.ibb.co/rcKn7Z0/img-tag.jpg

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

When measured hardware level and app-received ASIO data are not equal then there must be something in-between that changes the data. Like Loopback or DSP for Record. With meters set to Post in TM FX this should be visible there as well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by ramses 2024-02-17 09:05:03)

I found this in the DIGIcheck help about Hardware Level, could that be the issue?

"Wichtiger Hinweis zum Betrieb mit TotalMix

Die von der Hardware berechneten Pegelwerte können nicht von mehreren Programmen gleichzeitig ausgelesen werden. TotalMix benutzt die Hardware-Pegeldaten für seine Level Meter. Wenn TotalMix und DIGICheck mit aktiver Option Hardware Level (F3) gleichzeitig Pegel des gleichen Systems am Bildschirm darstellen, werden daher falsche Pegel angezeigt. Für eine korrekte Pegeldarstellung in DIGICheck ist daher TotalMix zu schliessen, so dass es nur noch als Symbol im Systray erscheint. Oder in DIGICheck ASIO als Datenquelle (F3) auszuwählen."

Used a translation program to make a quick translation

"Important note on operation with TotalMix

The level values calculated by the hardware cannot be read out by several programs at the same time. TotalMix uses the hardware level data for its level meters. If TotalMix and DIGICheck with active Hardware Level option (F3) display levels of the same system on the screen at the same time, incorrect levels will therefore be displayed. For a correct level display in DIGICheck, TotalMix must therefore be closed so that it only appears as an icon in the systray. Or select ASIO as the data source (F3) in DIGICheck."

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you both for your help. Based upon your information I will attempt to discover exactly the cause of the apparent discrepancy. Unless I need further help I will consider this closed.

However, given Ramses comment on hardware level values calculations it would be helpful to me, and possibly to others, if you would briefly explain the metering use cases for ASIO vs Hardware Level settings.